Observation Car seat etiquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to spend a lot of time in observation room on cross country trip. Is it ok to "reserve" my seat by leaving a bag on it when I go to bathroom or get a snack. I would not do that to go to get a meal.

Yes, as long as you are not gone for a long period of time. I'd suggest maybe making a small sign to place on your seat with your bag saying that you will be back very soon.

Technically it’s not allowed. I’ve seen conductors / LSA’s move personal items that have been left in seats in the observation cars.

But if you’re just running downstairs to get a snack, it’s doubtful it will be any kind of issue.

If you simply leave your stuff, don't be surprised to find it placed on the floor by the seat where you left it and another passenger occupying your (former) seat. Observation lounge space is a shared limited resource. I predict that if you complain about it, the response you'll get from the car attendant or conductor will be some variation of, "You snooze, you lose."

Depends somewhat on how full the train is and what route you are on and where the train is along that route. On the CZ and Coast Starlight during the scenic segments the crew makes announcements about passengers taking turns in the observation car.

imho if it’s not a busy time a year and the train is not passing a scenic area you have more leeway. If you are hearing those announcements you are best off asking someone near you to watch your seat and stuff.

You can probably get away with that 90% of the time. I do that when it's just a quick trip to the john or to get coffee. But, I always tell someone else sitting nearby where I'm going so they can explain the situation to anyone wanting the seat.

Happy Travels

On the subject of observation car etiquette, what about those people who, rather than watching the passing scenery, have their noses buried in a book or video game?

what about them? The coast starlights parlor car used to be stocked with a small library and board games.

For that matter... when I’m on the zephyr going through the Rockies I’ve always got my phone out watching the speed of the train and the altitude.

On the subject of observation car etiquette, what about those people who, rather than watching the passing scenery, have their noses buried in a book or video game?

That has also irritated me, particularly when those who do so occupy those prime seats for a prolonged period of time.

And, let me not forget about a particular family on the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Los Angeles who were Coach passengers. Literally, they "camped out in many seats" in the SSL for most of the trip. Zip was said to them about returning to their seats.

I always tell someone else sitting nearby where I'm going so they can explain the situation to anyone wanting the seat.

I think that is a good idea and it may help to make whatever you leave behind to "save" your seat a bit more secure.

If you feel like people shouldn’t be allowed to read in the observation lounges you really need to go back in time and inform all these people about proper train etiquette ;)

Attachments

• 46E4BC7B-5C53-4B7D-9EE7-5273E544359F.jpeg
    46E4BC7B-5C53-4B7D-9EE7-5273E544359F.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 4DAAF4F2-AB88-475B-99EE-A6AB0DA57F8A.jpeg
    4DAAF4F2-AB88-475B-99EE-A6AB0DA57F8A.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 62
Back in the days of the Rio Grande Zephyr, when the seats in the domes were highly coveted, at least one of the porter's would actually scold people that would occupy one of those seats while immersed in a book, and encourage them to read at their seats or in the lower level of the lounge car, to allow those enthralled by the spectacular scenery to have the seats for that purpose.

Back in the days of the Rio Grande Zephyr, when the seats in the domes were highly coveted, at least one of the porter's would actually scold people that would occupy one of those seats while immersed in a book, and encourage them to read at their seats or in the lower level of the lounge car, to allow those enthralled by the spectacular scenery to have the seats for that purpose.

So do you think it’s right or wrong for an employee to scold a passenger?

Depends...depends why and depends on the manner it is done.
In the case of Curtis (the Rio Grande porter), absolutely right. He did it in a humorous manner, that had everyone chuckling, didn’t offend anyone, but at the same time was usually effective in its result.

He was very popular among the passengers. Anyone else remember him?
He was the one that sold those scenic post cards enroute....”pretty cards, pretty cards...”

For me it’s usually a moot point, unless your on the Coast Starlight in the summer and want a ocean side seat you won’t have any issues coming or going. Maybe there’s a few other legs such as the Zephyr in the Rockies or westbound out of Reno but overall the lounges aren’t packed like they used to be. Anderson’s damage to long distance ridership is very apparent now unfortunately. Fare increases, lack of marketing, etc.

The more likely scenario is some bone headed employee lays into you for leaving your stuff unattended which in their defense is a security issue. There’s a nice way to say things and a not so nice way, your results will vary. If your just going to grab a snack or take a wizz I’d just ask someone sitting next to you to watch your stuff for a couple mins.

The other issue I’ve seen frequently is on the SWC depending if the cut out coach is or isn’t running between Kci and chi. I’ve witnessed on more than one occasion not enough coach seats so coach passengers are seated in lounge and unused side of diner. In that case all bets are off. Probably ditto for the Eagle STL-CHI. Again thank Anderson and Co.

Last edited:
For the most part in my travels we have not found overcrowding in the lounge car to be an issue and we have left our things on a table or on a seat in the lounge car for a brief time and have had no problem.

I do find it a bit sad when I see people enter the lounge car and see that there are no completely empty booths available and that all available seats would require them to sit beside a stranger. Instead of asking if someone would mind if they sat beside them or sat at their table, it seems that 90% of these people just leave.

I have noticed this on VIA dome cars. Unless there are two adjoining empty seats in the dome, most people will not sit beside a stranger.

Camping out, stretching over more than one seat, and sleeping in the observation car/view/dome car is poor etiquette.

I'm a big fan of observation cars. Even if I'm in a sleeper I often visit the lounge during especially scenic periods. I think saving a seat for a few minutes to get a drink or use the facilities is okay but longer saves should be discouraged. I can understand people who use an observation car for card games and chatting but if you're reading a book or absorbed in your phone that seems like a bit of a waste.

Depends somewhat on how full the train is and what route you are on and where the train is along that route. On the CZ and Coast Starlight during the scenic segments the crew makes announcements about passengers taking turns in the observation car.

imho if it’s not a busy time a year and the train is not passing a scenic area you have more leeway. If you are hearing those announcements you are best off asking someone near you to watch your seat and stuff.
I agree with you about if it's not busy. I for one sure don't want to get involved with saving an almost complete strangers seat.

what about them? The coast starlights parlor car used to be stocked with a small library and board games.

For that matter... when I’m on the zephyr going through the Rockies I’ve always got my phone out watching the speed of the train and the altitude.
What app gives you speed and altitude? Do you need to be connected to a cell tower to do it? I didn't think there would be cell service in those areas. I will be Empire builder and would like to measure altitude and speed. Thanks all these threads are a lot of fun getting ready for a trip. Great train community!

What app gives you speed and altitude? Do you need to be connected to a cell tower to do it? I didn't think there would be cell service in those areas. I will be Empire builder and would like to measure altitude and speed. Thanks all these threads are a lot of fun getting ready for a trip. Great train community!
I use "GPS Tracks" - it has a lot of bells and whistles and costs like $4. If you only want speed and altitude, just do a search in the app store and you'll find some more basic apps that are free.

It’s kinda like hogging a table in a busy restaurant as people wait in line at the door. A little consideration people.

Not really. The only times I've seen a SSL car even close to full is on the scenic stretches of the Empire Builder and Zephyr (I haven't ridden the Starlight post-Parlour car so I'm sure it happens on that train too). The only time I've seen literally every seat filled is on the Zephyr going through the Rockies and it started to clear out after Moffatt Tunnel.

Here's the thing.. if there are open seats, I'm not going to feel bad about sitting in one. And if it's a super scenic part of the trip like the Rockies on the Zephyr or Glacier Park on the Builder... well that's why I'm taking the train, to see the scenery. So I'm not going to feel bad about taking a seat when seating is first come, first served.

if there are open seats, I'm not going to feel bad about sitting in one. And if it's a super scenic part of the trip like the Rockies on the Zephyr or Glacier Park on the Builder... well that's why I'm taking the train, to see the scenery.

I agree. Whether that portion of the trip is particularly scenic or not, if there is a vacant seat causing me to sit next to a stranger, so what?

I do find it a bit sad when I see people enter the lounge car and see that there are no completely empty booths available and that all available seats would require them to sit beside a stranger. Instead of asking if someone would mind if they sat beside them or sat at their table, it seems that 90% of these people just leave.

By leaving, they may miss one of the best advantages of an Amtrak trip: having a conversation with someone that they would never have had the opportunity to meet.

I wonder how those folks would react when going to the Dining Car and discover that they are being seated with strangers.

Back