Winter Park Ski Train 2019/2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found another news video about the first run of the Winter Park Express. Or rather, it's a compilation video of each time they cut live to the reporter at the ski train. The first clip shows the inside of a baggage-coach.

I am also very interested in the possibility of resurrecting a stop along 93. I rode the ski train for the first time earlier this month and as a lifelong train fan, I loved the experience and the relaxation factor. However to appeal to more users, it's hard to justify from a time perspective coming from Boulder. Between the drive to Union Station (30m), arrive early/park/carry gear (~45m), and the train's time creeping out of the station and through the western suburbs (~45m+), you're talking almost double the time to drive if conditions are OK. But if a stop were added a 15 minute drive from Boulder, on the road that folks already need to drive out of town - and it only takes 1hr to get up through the tunnel - you've got a real game-changer!

My thought would be whether you you could pay for the necessary construction/improvements to the stop by charging for parking. You're looking at $10-20 to park in Denver anyway, and factoring in the time savings I don't see a similar charge being unreasonable. It would also encourage car-pooling and drop-offs would be free (connect with the G Bus?).

Last thought would be if Amtrak even has more equipment to add to this line, as the train seems to be sold out consistently. If they were capable of adding more cars, would they fit on the platform at WP? Or trial it first for a season to gauge demand and perhaps even look to add a second train set? They could both leave at the same time in the morning, the passengers originating on 93 would still get to sleep in a few minutes and get to the mountain earlier in its opening day, then that train could leave later from WP (after the Denver-bound train) but still get them home at the same time.

All of this a pipe dream perhaps, but as traffic keeps getting worse and this amazing mountain sits just on the other side of the tunnel from the front range, any and all options should be worth of consideration!

A mini-high platform could go in, but that would require a gauntlet track so freight trains could clear it, I think.

Why would a high level be needed for Superliners?

For ADA compliance in today's world, some sort of platform that is at a height flush with the floor level of the superliner entry door is required, so that passengers in wheel chairs have a level entry between platform and passenger car.

I suppose you recall the original Ski Train run for the Eskimo Ski Club stopping there at one time?
I don't want to assume, but I'm guessing that jeff.malin may be either too young or too new to the region to remember the Eskimo Ski Club and the stop at Rocky Flats. 40 years might be the cut off for both!

I don't want to assume, but I'm guessing that jeff.malin may be either too young or too new to the region to remember the Eskimo Ski Club and the stop at Rocky Flats. 40 years might be the cut off for both!
He did use the term, "resurrecting"...

Back in the day of the Rocky Flats stop, I don't recall there being anything besides maybe graded gravel as a platform. ADA did not exist, and it would seem that anyone that was skiing, was able-bodied and fit to climb up the stepbox and steps into the coaches...

For ADA compliance in today's world, some sort of platform that is at a height flush with the floor level of the superliner entry door is required, so that passengers in wheel chairs have a level entry between platform and passenger car.
Right, but wouldn't that still be low level?

I am also very interested in the possibility of resurrecting a stop along 93. I rode the ski train for the first time earlier this month and as a lifelong train fan, I loved the experience and the relaxation factor. However to appeal to more users, it's hard to justify from a time perspective coming from Boulder. Between the drive to Union Station (30m), arrive early/park/carry gear (~45m), and the train's time creeping out of the station and through the western suburbs (~45m+), you're talking almost double the time to drive if conditions are OK. But if a stop were added a 15 minute drive from Boulder, on the road that folks already need to drive out of town - and it only takes 1hr to get up through the tunnel - you've got a real game-changer!

My thought would be whether you you could pay for the necessary construction/improvements to the stop by charging for parking. You're looking at $10-20 to park in Denver anyway, and factoring in the time savings I don't see a similar charge being unreasonable. It would also encourage car-pooling and drop-offs would be free (connect with the G Bus?).

Last thought would be if Amtrak even has more equipment to add to this line, as the train seems to be sold out consistently. If they were capable of adding more cars, would they fit on the platform at WP? Or trial it first for a season to gauge demand and perhaps even look to add a second train set? They could both leave at the same time in the morning, the passengers originating on 93 would still get to sleep in a few minutes and get to the mountain earlier in its opening day, then that train could leave later from WP (after the Denver-bound train) but still get them home at the same time.

All of this a pipe dream perhaps, but as traffic keeps getting worse and this amazing mountain sits just on the other side of the tunnel from the front range, any and all options should be worth of consideration!
As the current trains sell-out and/or go into the top fare bucket frequently, the best way to do what you suggest is by running a second section (yes, a hypothetical train with hypothetical spare rolling stock with hypothetical approval from Omaha). Or extend the catenary from Arvada to Winter Park!

The Rte GS bus doesn't run on weekends. Setting that up might be seen as competition with the Rte N ski service.

It may have been quietly sold off, but RTD owned land abutting the Moffat Line at the 80th Avenue Xing, planned for a future park-n-Ride. If that's still the case, development of a joint-use facility there would make sense, since parking demand would peak on separate days of the week. However, as CDOT and the ski resorts are still focused on high-tech, high-cost, unlikely solutions whenever rail into the mountains is mentioned, being right and doing right are two different things.

P.S. I've only seen engines flying green flags twice in my 73 years (both on the UP!). But you have a good idea.

......It may have been quietly sold off, but RTD owned land abutting the Moffat Line at the 80th Avenue Xing, planned for a future park-n-Ride. If that's still the case, development of a joint-use facility there would make sense, since parking demand would peak on separate days of the week. However, as CDOT and the ski resorts are still focused on high-tech, high-cost, unlikely solutions whenever rail into the mountains is mentioned, being right and doing right are two different things.

The RTD site could be developed as a year-round "suburban station" so people don't have to drive downtown to take the long distance trains. Amtrak has SEVEN (7) "suburban stations" around Chicago (including the Dyer, IN & Hammond, IN stations). The station, platform, bus and "drop-off/pick-up" lane, and a smaller number of parking spaces would be fully-improved with asphalt paving, sidewalks, etc. The extra capacity parking spaces needed for the seasonal ski train can be built with budget-friendly gravel pavement with wood poles & lights. The frozen gravel pavement in the winter would work well and allow water to percolate through it in the summer when its not needed.

Question : Is the present ski train length maxed out for the platform at Winter Park ? If so how many cars is it running. Otherwise somehow can it get more cars ? That might depend if it is revenue positive for both Amtrak and the supporting club.

The issue with that is one train would likely be much more popular than the other, as most passengers would want a full day at Winter Park.
That idea could work for my other harebrained concept which is to make a stop near Rollinsville. One could get a Winter Park day for the "cost" (drive-wise) of a trip to Eldora and a quick ride through the tunnel. Though it would eliminate one of the nice benefits of the current train which is leaving your stuff on board for the day.

My other related idea is whether a much smaller train (self-propelled DMU?) could establish "shuttle" service through the tunnel to a Rollinsville stop. I saw that Amtrak is considering these in its 5-year equipment plan: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/.../Amtrak-Equipment-Asset-Line-Plan-FY20-24.pdf

Is there any reason why the one set of equipment can’t deadhead back and get another load of passenger on the same day? Not quite a extra section, but a few hours off should still be workable.

Trip takes 2 hrs between WPP and DEN , assuming no delays. Add dwell time for loading and unloading at each end, and a second section using the same consist as the first would not reach the ski resort until about 2 PM.

The ski lifts close at 4 PM.

'Nuff said.

Question : Is the present ski train length maxed out for the platform at Winter Park ? If so how many cars is it running. Otherwise somehow can it get more cars ? That might depend if it is revenue positive for both Amtrak and the supporting club.

The platform length in Denver Union Station would be the issue first, before Winter Park.

Winter Park you could do multi stops if needed.

The platform length in Denver Union Station would be the issue first, before Winter Park.

Winter Park you could do multi stops if needed.
Denver platform is long enough for he Zephyr plus private cars. Winter Park platform is shorter. I doubt UP wants multiple stops, makes for an even longer blockage of the main line...

Back