Best roomette on the Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to be as far away from the locomotive and its horn as possible. I rode the Texas Eagle to Los Angeles and it was great being in the last car from San Antonio to LA. Likewise the Lake Short Limited has it's NY sleepers on the back.

A few years ago we took the Empire Builder from Portland to Milwaukee. We were in Bedroom D and the last car on the train consist. Because there was no other car connected to the back of ours the swaying back and forth was terrible. It was very difficult to sleep/move around because of this. Unfortunately, because there is often only one sleeper on the Portland to Spokane section this is sometimes impossible to avoid.

Preference for roomette location is always personal. Downstairs can be noisy as they are by the luggage storage, family room, entrance doors, bathrooms and shower. Upstairs provides a better view with BEST roomettes 3-4-5-6-7-8 the quietest. 9 and 10 are at the entrance where there may be chatter and you hear the sliding door. Rooms 2, is at the coffee and lavatory area, and next to the attendant’s room 1… and can be noisy.

I travel during off-peak times, and find that the Family Room is often unoccupied. I prefer downstairs Roomettes for the lack of traffic and convenience to the bathrooms.

I have also been in Bedroom A at the end of the Empire Builder, and did not notice any unusual motion. It was nice having the railfan window close by, and NOBODY else came to look out it.

Last edited:
A few years ago we took the Empire Builder from Portland to Milwaukee. We were in Bedroom D and the last car on the train consist. Because there was no other car connected to the back of ours the swaying back and forth was terrible. It was very difficult to sleep/move around because of this. Unfortunately, because there is often only one sleeper on the Portland to Spokane section this is sometimes impossible to avoid.

I am sorry to hear that you had this problem but my experience has been different. I have been in the Portland sleeper at the rear of the Empire Builder twice and also in the Texas Eagle sleeper at the rear of the Sunset twice. I have enjoyed the quietness in those cars and had no trouble moving around or sleeping and much prefer being in these sleeping cars at the rear of the train.

Rooms 9 and 10 at the very end of the train would be a great choice... quiet/no traffic, and one can get up and gaze out the back window. But make sure your assigned car is the one at the very end!

I have been in room 9 and 10 and also bedroom A when they were the last (back) rooms of the 27/28 sleepers. I too did not notice any excessive sway nor interference in my sleep. But I did especially like the ability to look out the Railfan window with ease - and most of the time I was the only one doing so!:cool:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect side-to-side motions of the last car in the train are most noticeable in the Summer months when heat kinks have a better chance of developing in the CWR

I’ve never been outside the station, but I would not say that “they just drop you off in a dark alley”! You make it sound like the train just stops at a grade crossing, opens the door and then leaves. It doesn’t sound like it stops at a station with an agent, has checked baggage service and indoor seating.

Lol, the 'dark alley' description isn't right for Pittsburgh's Amtrak station at all! It has an indoor seating area, ticket agents, a lot of travel brochures(weirdly even saw one for Myrtle Beach, SC there!), and it exits out to a well lit area. Plus you easily can walk throughout downtown Pittsburgh or over to nearby areas(i.e. Strip District), once you leave that station. Plus you can catch the T light rail system, within only a few blocks away. Was able to find a vending machine where I could buy a 1 day pass to ride the T/buses/inclines, next to the bus stop for the busway that runs to the east side of town. If you see the historic outdoor decorated rotunda area that's restored, the vending machine(and that busway) are to your left. You also can walk a few blocks to any of the nearby T stations, to buy a 1 day(or whatever length of pass you need) pass.

Also keep in mind if you're riding the T between First Avenue and Alleghany(next to the Pittsburgh Steelers' stadium), that riding the T is FREE. Yes, free! It's only if you're riding south of First Avenue to Station Square or any of the other stations south of there, that you have to pay to ride the T.

Lol, the 'dark alley' description isn't right for Pittsburgh's Amtrak station at all! It has an indoor seating area, ticket agents, a lot of travel brochures(weirdly even saw one for Myrtle Beach, SC there!), and it exits out to a well lit area. .

My "dark alley" was meant to be tongue in cheek, but the escalator does spit you out between 2 large buildings, in a semi-covered parking lot that is not well lit. The connectcard machine is literally on the other side of the former Penn Station, in a ridiculously inconvenient place.

So instead, we just walked straight to Wood Street station, since none of the buses or rail was running yet. It was erie. The downtown was very well lit, but no cars, no people. Not a sound. We got a day pass since it also allowed us to ride the include trains as many times as we wanted. No much else to do early in the morning before anything else is open

My "dark alley" was meant to be tongue in cheek, but the escalator does spit you out between 2 large buildings, in a semi-covered parking lot that is not well lit. The connectcard machine is literally on the other side of the former Penn Station, in a ridiculously inconvenient place.

So instead, we just walked straight to Wood Street station, since none of the buses or rail was running yet. It was erie. The downtown was very well lit, but no cars, no people. Not a sound. We got a day pass since it also allowed us to ride the include trains as many times as we wanted. No much else to do early in the morning before anything else is open

I will agree with you that the lower level of the semi-covered parking lot by the Pittsburgh station is a little dark, that's for sure! Also yep after you get off the eastbound Capitol Limited in the morning, it is for sure that a lot of things in the downtown don't open till a little later in the morning. One thing you could do is to walk northeast to the Strip District, where a few of the diners in that area do open as IIRC, about 6:30am. I think the Primanti's over there may be their only 24/7 location, but am not totally sure about that.

Also I remember when exploring the Strip District on my 2018 trip, thankfully due to a 21/2 train delay when I was waiting for westbound train #29, that I did realize a lot of restaurants and bars and other shops in that area unfortunately don't stay open late. A handful of bars were open late over there, along with Primanti's, but that really was it.

I will agree with you that the lower level of the semi-covered parking lot by the Pittsburgh station is a little dark, that's for sure! Also yep after you get off the eastbound Capitol Limited in the morning, it is for sure that a lot of things in the downtown don't open till a little later in the morning. One thing you could do is to walk northeast to the Strip District, where a few of the diners in that area do open as IIRC, about 6:30am. I think the Primanti's over there may be their only 24/7 location, but am not totally sure about that.

Also I remember when exploring the Strip District on my 2018 trip, thankfully due to a 21/2 train delay when I was waiting for westbound train #29, that I did realize a lot of restaurants and bars and other shops in that area unfortunately don't stay open late. A handful of bars were open late over there, along with Primanti's, but that really was it.

That is the ORIGINAL Primanti's -- now a notable chain in Pittsburgh and a few other cities. Often mentioned in foodie circles for its unique take on sandwich builds. Yes, that location is open 24 hours now. Another good place in the Strip is Deluca's which opens at 6:30am. If you want a more traditional breakfast, I'd do Deluca's. Unfortunately, the train schedule isn't favorable for that if transferring from 30 to 42 so Primanti's would be your best choice.

Also, if you're not transferring to the EB Pennsylvanian, other restaurants right downtown start opening about 7am. Some of the best are in major hotels just blocks away.

It's all walkable if you have the time. If not, taxis often are present during train arrivals; there's also Uber or Lyft just a pin drop away. They are ramping up for the morning rush about then so service should be swift.

I've usually picked room #2. Its upper level (quieter, better view), and but close to shower, stairs, luggage (lower) bathrooms, and coffee machine (upper). The attendant is often in #1, so you are first to get service, etc. I take my microwave meals, and sit in the lounge.

On a side note, just took the capital limited into Pittsburgh. My new favorite small city.
I can appreciate that its one of the few small cities that still has a downtown stop. But it doesnt use the original station. Instead, they dump passengers off in some dark alley.
I thought there were no microwaves for personal use on trains. How do microwave your meals?

I thought there were no microwaves for personal use on trains. How do microwave your meals?
I assume that the poster was referring to the flex dining meals served on the Capitol Limited to sleeping car passengers.

Back