WiFi on LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suze10860

Train Attendant
Full disclosure: I did try to "search" for an answer on this, but really wasn't able to find anything recent or specific to the LSL.

Can you tell me what the WiFi service is like on the LSL? I'm curious as to what will be available to us.

Thanks.

It is supposed to exist but sometimes it is broken. Does that answer your question?

It is low bandwidth so no movies or YouTube.

I sometimes use the WiFi on Amtrak, but mostly just use my own cellular connection.

As was stated, you can not stream movies or open large files. The connection is shared by all the passengers at the same time.

Another thing is that may forget to turn it on! The router is usually in the Cafe Car, and needs to be turned on. Also, if something does go wrong, it may be turned off until it’s fixed. (There is no technician riding on board.) So like anything, you can hope for the best, but I wouldn’t expect it 100% of the time.

Good to spotty to non-existent, depending on where you are.

Right now, I'm on #48 approaching Amsterdam. Had good WiFi for about an hour out of Chicago, and when it was gone, I went to bed. WiFi was OK this AM until Buffalo. Just before Buffalo, response times in the 30-40 second range, so I switched to my cell phone as a hot spot. From Albany to NYP, good all the way if my trips on Empire Service trains is any measure. I go to Springfield. Through the Berkshires, drops out a lot. Springfield to Boston, good WiFi.

Sometimes it works well, but I wouldn't count on it. It is more likely to work close to a station.

Back