Luggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suze10860

Train Attendant
Hmmmmmm...the more I ask, the more I want to know!

What's the story with checked luggage and/or carry ons?

My details:

Lake Shore Limited (NY Penn to Chicago) roundtrip - in a roomette with my husband

I've read so many different things, I'm not sure I have it all straight in my head.

I understand we can bring a carryon (or 2 or 3) to have with us in our roomette. My thought is to keep that to a minimum - just the basic toiletries, something to sleep in, and whatever fresh stuff we need for the morning for each of us. That should fit in one small carryon. I also want to bring a soft cooler for plenty of snacks and some adult beverages. My husband might want to bring a back-pack because he likes to have his laptop and some other devises for listening to music. I'm thinking we should be able to stash all of this stuff up in the storage area above the door. Sound reasonable so far?

I think I'm still a little confused about what we do with our real suitcase(s). We're spending 5 full days and 4 nights in Chicago at a hotel. We're going to need at least one suitcase for the 2 of us to share, or 2 smaller ones (1 each.) Would you suggest actually checking those bags at Penn Station in New York, or am I correct in thinking that we can bring them on the train with us and there is a place to keep them there? I'm not sure why this is confusing to me, but for some reason, it just is.

Thanks for your help.

I would recommend to have your large suitcases which you don't need during your train ride to check in. It avoid the hassles and some spaces are limited.

I believe your train set is Superliner and there is a baggage reach downstairs. If your train is single level, there is a cubby hole above you which is designed for bags. It's pretty high in the ceiling.

The Lakeshore Limited is a one level Viewliner. There will be no storage outside your roomette. However, as mentioned above, there is a cubby in your roomette designed for bags. I am short, but I can reach it by standing on the lid of the toilet. However, I choose not to use it and only bring bags that will fit on the shelf next to my seat in the roomette.

If you do not need items in your large bags enroute, and both your original station AND your destination station offer checked baggage service (both NYP and CHI do), you may want to check them. This is especially true on eastern trains, as there is no other place to store your bags except in your room. (Western trains have an open luggage rack on the lower level.)

While there is a large cubby hole in your room to store your bags, it may be inconvenient to put them there. It is above the hallway, meaning you have to lift them up. It’s much easier to put a small carry-on there.

So if there isn't luggage storage in the Viewliners sleeper cars, then what do people do who board in places without a station agent/baggage checking do with their luggage if they're taking a roomette? Perhaps the car attendant puts the baggage in an empty roomette, if there is an empty?

So if there isn't luggage storage in the Viewliners sleeper cars, then what do people do who board in places without a station agent/baggage checking do with their luggage if they're taking a roomette? Perhaps the car attendant puts the baggage in an empty roomette, if there is an empty?
Yep, they also store luggage in the Shower, their own Room, in the Vestibule, and I've even seen them put it in the Bag Car without it being checked.

The overhead storage bin in a Viewliner roomette is 21 inches deep, 16 inches tall and 35 and half inches wide so you can measure your luggage and compare the measurements to this space. There is a raised rim at the opening which is one or two inches tall and there is a railing at the opening to hold the luggage in place.

Note that in order to place luggage into the storage bin, the luggage has to clear a protruding light fixture and the railing mentioned above and this clearance is a little over 12 inches. So although the storage bin is 16 inches tall, a suitcase with rigid sides much over 12 inches thick would not fit into the bin because you wouldn't be able to get it through the opening.

Also note that if your luggage it heavy, it may take considerable effort to boost it up into the storage bin.

Last edited:
Don't forget under the seats! I'll have to measure under the seat tonight on #48. I know my airline size carry on fits no problem if it's not 'stuffed'. I hang up the clothes inside and that deflates it enough so my bag fits.

The shelf next to the seat( shown with smaller bag) can store a large bag if you use the retaining belt on the wall too prevent it from tipping.DSC01006.JPG
The ViewLiner storage bin can hold two roller bags straight in. We had 26 and 24 inch pull rollers up there. You can turn the bags too fit more in up there.
DSC01009.JPG

The shelf next to the seat( shown with smaller bag) can store a large bag if you use the retaining belt on the wall too prevent it from tipping.View attachment 16703
The ViewLiner storage bin can hold two roller bags straight in. We had 26 and 24 inch pull rollers up there. You can turn the bags too fit more in up there.
View attachment 16704

I keep my rollerboard on the lower shelf. It also fits on the small shelf / step in a super liner roomette. It’s a travelpro domestic carry on. Serves me well!

I'm aboard #48 which just departed CHI. I know I'm nuts to carry a measuring tape with me, but I do. I've measured all coach and business class seats I've ridden on through the years as well.

Cubby Measurements: 21" Deep, 36" wide, 17" high, but the stainless steel bar is 3.5" high, limiting what can be put in to 13.5" max, but two smaller items can be stacked. See picture above.

Under the wide seat: 26" deep, 8.5" high, 22" or 16" wide, depending on which side.

Shelf alongside 'wide' seat: 20" deep, 10.5" wide. Vertical height limited by hanging clothing on loop/hook 55" above shelf.

Toilet seat, lid down: 18" deep, 17" wide.

Small shelf above sink usually used for towels, soap, and cups.

Disclaimer: All measurements quickly taken by me and may be slightly larger or smaller than indicated. Your mileage may vary.

You might be my new hero. I've saved the info in this post for future use when packing for our April trip.

Many thanks.

The shelf next to the seat( shown with smaller bag) can store a large bag if you use the retaining belt on the wall too prevent it from tipping.View attachment 16703
View attachment 16704
I'm usually able to put a fairly large roller bag on the shelf next to the seat. It hangs over the bed a bit, but the strap keeps it upright, even when the train hits bumps.

....Cubby Measurements: 21" Deep, 36" wide, 17" high, but the stainless steel bar is 3.5" high,.....
Thanks for that. I was hoping someone would come up with the dimensions so that I could avoid searching for the notebook in which I had recorded them on our last overnight trip in a roomette.

Back