Amtrak asks a passenger to move ...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE="fairviewroad, post: 831138, member: 4685". I also think the outrage level would be much higher if she had been made to stand..[/QUOTE]
And I think the outrage would be much lower if she were a 55 yo white male! A Black civil rights attorney says it all. Otherwise it would be a non-story!

I posted about this on another thread the day it happened. Ms. Ifill had a long tweet thread about it.

Of COURSE it would have been a non-story if it had happened to a white male because they don't have a history of being discriminated against. It's weird to even have to type that. If someone had been walking up to you and hitting you for hundreds of years, you probably would not give them the benefit of the doubt that time they walked past you in a narrow hallway and brushed against you.

Thing is, I am a white woman and this has happened to me numerous times. The difference (besides the fact that white people haven't historically been forced to move seats on public transportation) is that the conductor gave her a false reason for the move (people were coming, she said, and no one came), that she was getting off at the very next stop so why even bother, and that Amtrak did a really bad job of communicating with her (she says she is Select Executive and yet somehow they didn't have her contact info plus, she tweeted right at them and they responded to other people in that same timeframe and not her). It is terrible, terrible optics and they need to do better.

I originally posted about this on the "assigned seating on LD trains on the NEC" (I can't remember the title but that was essentially what it was about) thread because I thought and still think this has to do with that, and Amtrak really has to fix the "you can't sit there because I the conductor have my own logic about where people should sit" issue.

(I've never had that feeling on a train, but I have felt when dining alone in some restaurants like couples and larger parties were prioritized over singletons though my $ spends exactly the same.)

Actually, (and I, too have dined alone over the many years of my traveling) if a single diner is sitting in a table with two seats, he or she does not spend the same amount of $(on average) than if that table was filled with two diners. And if the single diner is given a table for 4 (which has happened to me a lot), the difference in total revenue for the table between a single diner and a party of 4 is even greater.

So discriminating against single diners is not totally irrational on the part of restaurants. Of course, they have to be sure there are larger parties who will come in and fill up the table, or they'll end up with nothing if they discriminate too eagerly. If they have any sense, they'll provide group/counter seating for single patrons or serve the full menu at the bar. I've had both kinds of such service, and I've had some pretty positive dining experiences, and, of course, the restaurant benefited from the revenue I provided them.

I posted about this on another thread the day it happened. Ms. Ifill had a long tweet thread about it.

Of COURSE it would have been a non-story if it had happened to a white male because they don't have a history of being discriminated against. It's weird to even have to type that. If someone had been walking up to you and hitting you for hundreds of years, you probably would not give them the benefit of the doubt that time they walked past you in a narrow hallway and brushed against you.

Thing is, I am a white woman and this has happened to me numerous times. The difference (besides the fact that white people haven't historically been forced to move seats on public transportation) is that the conductor gave her a false reason for the move (people were coming, she said, and no one came), that she was getting off at the very next stop so why even bother, and that Amtrak did a really bad job of communicating with her (she says she is Select Executive and yet somehow they didn't have her contact info plus, she tweeted right at them and they responded to other people in that same timeframe and not her). It is terrible, terrible optics and they need to do better.

I originally posted about this on the "assigned seating on LD trains on the NEC" (I can't remember the title but that was essentially what it was about) thread because I thought and still think this has to do with that, and Amtrak really has to fix the "you can't sit there because I the conductor have my own logic about where people should sit" issue.
Your comments made in the other thread (and those relating to your comments) were moved to this thread.

Either the conductor(s) were failing to do their job, or, Ms Ifill has grounds to file a racial discrimination lawsuit against Amtrak.

As one who has traveled the NEC 100s of times over the years, every conductor I've witnessed unconditionally puts a seat check above each passengers' seat. At least between WAS and NYP, the conductors have their own pattern of folded and/or torn ticket stubs indicating the passengers destination. Most often, a horizontal seat check indicates either WAS or NYP as a destination, with BAL sometimes a 1/4 of the stub torn off but still upright, or something like that. So, quite clearly, the conductor(s) failed to look at her seat check. On the other hand, most frequently in the past year or so, while still a good 40 miles or so away from WAS or NYP, the conductor comes and removes ALL seat checks, which could lead to freeloaders boarding at MET, for example and riding to NYP for free, as I've never witnessed conductors checking tickets after that.

On the other hand, it could well be racial discrimination, perhaps combined with the conductor simply wanting to 'assert his authority' and/or be 'commanding'. So he decided to pick on a woman that seemed (to him) willing to comply with his orders. It would likely be difficult to prove discrimination, however, unless any nearby passengers that witnessed the exchange come forward with their testimony.

Regardless of what the cause of Ms Ifill being asked to move, it's clear the conductor(s) both need some additional training in doing their job.

Either the conductor(s) were failing to do their job, or, Ms Ifill has grounds to file a racial discrimination lawsuit against Amtrak.

As one who has traveled the NEC 100s of times over the years, every conductor I've witnessed unconditionally puts a seat check above each passengers' seat. At least between WAS and NYP, the conductors have their own pattern of folded and/or torn ticket stubs indicating the passengers destination. Most often, a horizontal seat check indicates either WAS or NYP as a destination, with BAL sometimes a 1/4 of the stub torn off but still upright, or something like that. So, quite clearly, the conductor(s) failed to look at her seat check. On the other hand, most frequently in the past year or so, while still a good 40 miles or so away from WAS or NYP, the conductor comes and removes ALL seat checks, which could lead to freeloaders boarding at MET, for example and riding to NYP for free, as I've never witnessed conductors checking tickets after that.

On the other hand, it could well be racial discrimination, perhaps combined with the conductor simply wanting to 'assert his authority' and/or be 'commanding'. So he decided to pick on a woman that seemed (to him) willing to comply with his orders. It would likely be difficult to prove discrimination, however, unless any nearby passengers that witnessed the exchange come forward with their testimony.

Regardless of what the cause of Ms Ifill being asked to move, it's clear the conductor(s) both need some additional training in doing their job.

This never should have happened. The PAX story is consistent and hasn't changed. But evidently the asst Conductor concocted a reason for her to move an d changed the reason when the Conductor became involved. The Pax was quite understandably upset as I think all of us would be.

It's important to note that this was the Carolinian and that she got on at WAS and her stop was BAL. She says she had "just boarded" when asked to move. My assumption is that the conductor wanted to group everyone getting off at a certain stop or stops in the same place and just did a truly poor job of explaining herself. But we can't know.

ETA: her initial tweet came at 5:18pm and the train leaves WAS at 5:15pm.

[QUOTE="fairviewroad, post: 831138, member: 4685". I also think the outrage level would be much higher if she had been made to stand..
And I think the outrage would be much lower if she were a 55 yo white male! A Black civil rights attorney says it all. Otherwise it would be a non-story![/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Which leads me to believe she was put up to it (or put herself up to it) to make some kind of political and/or social justice statement.

Not suggesting, of course, that the Conductor or any other crew member was "in on it". :rolleyes:

And I think the outrage would be much lower if she were a 55 yo white male! A Black civil rights attorney says it all. Otherwise it would be a non-story!

I agree with this. Which leads me to believe she was put up to it (or put herself up to it) to make some kind of political and/or social justice statement.

I'm not sure I love where this is going. She's the president and director of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, not some random Instagram zombie looking for five seconds of fame.

The outrage would be lower over a 55-year old white male (or female, even) because we don't have a history of discrimination and racism against us. Asking one of us to change seats doesn't hold the same power. Even if she's wrong about the intentions behind it, her feelings are perfectly valid. We cannot speak to how it feels, as a person of color, to be asked to change seats and then given a handful of reasons that don't make sense. We don't get to debate how she feels and whether or not she's allowed to feel that way because we cannot possibly understand it.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical about this........

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that the whole situation is legit. However, there's still the matter of her using (or planning to use) her NAACP position as leverage. Which doesn't seem fair to me either if there was no racial animosity or prejudice involved.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical about this........

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that the whole situation is legit. However, there's still the matter of her using (or planning to use) her NAACP position as leverage. Which doesn't seem fair to me either if there was no racial animosity or prejudice involved.

How should she do it, as Jane Doe Anonymous? She tweeted about it and was later interviewed by newspapers. I'm not sure what she should do differently. I am Jane Doe Anonymous and I frequently call out brands (including Amtrak!) on Twitter. It gets results far better than sending an email.

It's really a microaggression whether the conductor intended it to be racist or not. The fact that she was unclear or outright lied about why doesn't help her case. This is why Amtrak really has to stop moving people around for vague reasons. Assign seats in advance or let people sit where they want. I'm surprised there hasn't been a case like this before.

It really sounds like she sat in a car that was either not being used anymore or being held for those boarding in Baltimore or Philly. The Rosa Parks comparison is...let's call it "a bit Much"...but at the same time, it's not obvious there was any real reason to ask her to move since she was getting off at Baltimore anyway.

Amtrak's handling of seating in Coaches has been a flaming mess for a long time, specially for singles. I will probably be roasted here by the mindless Amtrak apologists for stating my feeling that I am glad that the chicken are coming home to roost. ;)

Actually these arbitrary pushing around is what has made me shun Amtrak LD Coach forever. I simply won't do it until they are able to be organized enough to give me a seat that I can stay in for the entire journey, except in extreme circumstances.

In general I am an accommodating kind of guy, but what has really ticked me off is the way in which Amtrak crew goes about asking for these seat changes like "You Vill Go or else or I Vill throw you out". Just one step short of Dr, Dao. No "please". Not a word in their vocabulary apparently. In most cases no real discernible coherent reason either. At least that has been my sad experience.

Well, I'll tell yuh. If I buy two seats, I will sit in those two seats. Same as on an aircraft. If the conductor wants me to move from my two seats, he better have two seats for me in the new location. I have paid for value, and he does not have the right to deprive me of that value without compensation.
I pay for two assigned parking spaces so I can park in the middle and protect my car from parking lot morons. I will not move my car so someone can use one of those spots when the lot is full. I pay for them, they are mine!
Yes, the Conductor is the Captain, as it were. But he is not infallible.
And cars are kept dark for a reason. I side with the Conductor on that one.

On another thread, someone actually quoted official Amtrak policy on buying two seats. Apparently, buying two seats doesn't give you an entitlement to two seats next to each other. Whether you think that's right or not, it doesn't matter, Amtrak policy is what it is.

Amtrak's handling of seating in Coaches has been a flaming mess for a long time, specially for singles. I will probably be roasted here by the mindless Amtrak apologists for stating my feeling that I am glad that the chicken are coming home to roost. ;)

Actually these arbitrary pushing around is what has made me shun Amtrak LD Coach forever. I simply won't do it until they are able to be organized enough to give me a seat that I can stay in for the entire journey, except in extreme circumstances.

In general I am an accommodating kind of guy, but what has really ticked me off is the way in which Amtrak crew goes about asking for these seat changes like "You Vill Go or else or I Vill throw you out". Just one step short of Dr, Dao. No "please". Not a word in their vocabulary apparently. In most cases no real discernible coherent reason either. At least that has been my sad experience.

This whole thing is strange. All the years I've been riding the NEC (including the Carolinian between Baltimore and Washington) I've never seen conductors making people change seats. Sometimes on the Carolinian, when you board in Baltimore they direct the people going to Washington in certain cars and the people going south into others. I've never seen this done on the Northeast Regionals or Acelas. I've never seen anybody who's seated with a valid ticket being told to move to a different seat. On the other hand, I've never seen Northeast Regional coach passengers all worked up about whether they get to sit in a particular seat. That sort of thing seems to be more of long-distance coach kind of thing.

Yeah, nobody's ever seen a middleaged white male involved in a newsworthy event after receiving an objectionable request. I'm not sure what sort of selectively sanitized bubble you live in, but maybe you should peek outside once in a while.

My assumption is that the conductor wanted to group everyone getting off at a certain stop or stops in the same place

That was my first thought as well.

I haven't ridden in coach that much but one such time we were told as we boarded to sit in specified seats, and discovered that we were all getting off at one or other of the last two stops. The fact that we were told where to sit didn't bother me at all. It might have irritated me if we'd picked our own seats and then been told to move - but I'd have complied.

You're right that it wasn't handled well.

Would a white 55 year old male be approached the same way? I’m a white 54 old male. If I was seated comfortably in a mostly empty car on an Amtrak NEC train I would not want to be moved either. I would definitely ask why.

That was my first thought as well.

I haven't ridden in coach that much but one such time we were told as we boarded to sit in specified seats, and discovered that we were all getting off at one or other of the last two stops. The fact that we were told where to sit didn't bother me at all. It might have irritated me if we'd picked our own seats and then been told to move - but I'd have complied.

You're right that it wasn't handled well.

Iirc all doors typically open on the NEC. So no need to group passengers by destination. The civil rights lawyer was going to Baltimore, a stop where all doors normally open.

I think the assistant conductor and conductor picked the wrong passenger to be rude and officious with and they got cough up. This can be an opportunity for Amtrak to clarify policy do that these types of incidents don’t happen and n the future.

The specific train is what surprises me. I have always found conductors on the Carolinian to be pleasant, helpful, and unfailingly polite, so this does sound a bit odd. If it were the Northeast Regional out of NYC, that would surprise me less. In fact, I often take the Carolinian when there is a choice, mainly because of the excellent and polite crew.

Perhaps the conductor had a good reason to move her but, as said above, didn't explain it well.

Of course there is discrimination all around us, but in this case, I think the passenger was jumping to an unfounded conclusion. (As if I were to assume "Oh, they're making me move because I'm an old lady and I'll complain about age discrimination" when it might simply be they are trying to arrange the seats better for the groups of people coming on later.)

I always assume (correctly or not) that the conductors have good and logical reasons for what they are doing. If I were asked to move, I would simply assume there was a good reason and be gracious about it and do so.

It works the other way, too--I once asked to move because I had two people who were obviously sick very near me, and did not want to get sick myself. The conductor moved me immediately and politely.

It seems to me that it's time for fully grown adults to learn how to say "NO" and refuse to comply with "authority" I learned this simple technique when I refused military service in 1967 and then later in 1977 when I said "NO" to a conductor on Amtrak Zephyr who wanted me to give up one of my two (2) seats to someone. When ever I ride coach, I always buy 2 seats. The conductor tried several time to pressure me in to giving up one of my seats and I was adamant with saying "NO" !!! and that conductor finally went away (angry)--- but so what!!

Agree totally. We should remember as Americans we have the right to resist. Sometimes there is a price to pay for that, but long term we often win.

There are actual laws we must obey -- and try to change legislatively if they are unjust. Everything else is just someone's idea of a mere rule they want you to obey, but it's not backed up in local, state, or federal penal codes with criminal or civil penalties for disobeying. Control freaks and hatemongers beware!

We should applaud citizens who call out mere "rules" masquerading as laws.

And good going -- I never thought about reserving two adjoining seats. Often cheaper than getting a sleeper. And the only way I can get decent sleep in coach. I may consider that the next time sleepers are sold out. Did the sales agent, or website, give you grief for trying to buy two adjoining seats for one person?

I glanced at the posts in the New Coach Seating Procedure: Long Distance Trains on NEC when this happened and this was kind of predictable as we said. However, this thread is rife with the actual problems that are faced, I suppose it is worthy of its own thread. That being said, I do agree with this:

Actually, a lot of this would be avoided if the policy was clear and cut. Instead of "suggesting" or "recommending" how the trains should operate to the front line employees, spell it out to everyone and the passengers in a clear and concise matter (even though the terms of conditions state they reserve full control and discretion over seating) and specify what it means on the actual trains.

Instead, you have mish-mosh policies, which leads to exactly what happened. passenger boards a train, that typically didn't carry local travel on the NEC until last year and thinks its a normal regional. Such trains wouldn't have a boarding plan. Indeed, the whole intent in abolishing the loading plans on the NEC is to provide a more consistent experience:

You should probably change the title. This isn't just the Meteor. They basically abolished the boarding plan for long-distance trains to accommodate the NEC, who are accustomed to sitting anywhere they want. They want to speed the train over the NEC and they believe the boarding plan prolongs station stops. So, now it will be a sort of free for all.

There were concerns about families being separated or passengers needing to move and I made special mention of the Carolinian:

I'm not aware of Western LD trains plying the NEC. :D

Seriously, I know the trains plying the NEC that had boarding plans will no longer have them. This includes the long-distance trains like the Palmetto (which actually carried add on cars to accommodate local NEC passengers) and the Carolinian, which is a state-supported train but has a boarding plan (which was impossible to enforce on the NEC but everyone just blamed the employees on the front line since some attempted to follow the procedures while others said no way." )

The problem is, the Carolinian is a state-supported train. It is not a long-distance train so it operates in accordance with the agreement reached with the state. As such, the Carolinian kept its original boarding plan. So, it does have certain cars for designated stops since that is part of the operating agreement.

This is pretty funny but I'm interested in why you automatically assumed it was "he" wanted to assert "his authority" and "he" wanted to pick on a woman....because that is the best part of this story. A typical NEC train has a conductor, an assistant conductor (or two) and the LSA, who mans the cafe car. As such, Ms Ifill said the "junior conductor" asked her to move seats. However, this is a Carolinian, which is a state-supported train....and this particular state has paid for a bunch of attendants that you wouldn't find on a regional train. They have manifests and are charged with arranging the passengers according to the boarding plan. They are also instructed to use the manifest, to identify families, and groups and are "encouraged" to block off seats for these parties. It is similar to the long-distance trains and is one of two trains on the NEC without sleeping cars you'll see with attendants.

So, the "junior conductor" was actually an attendant, (and for those of you keeping score, she's an older black woman that's been around for decades and close to retirement...not a "man" trying to assert his authority) who had blocked off seats (As per the manifest and guidelines) and even put out down signs for the forthcoming passengers. Naturally, they were moved and single passengers took the aisle seats. So, when the attendant comes up (with a mother and her young daughter looking for seats together) she starts trying to move people together and basically rearrange the car to accommodate the family and the future groups' of riders. She never actually moved and since Baltimore was next, someone else moved.

The conductor wasn't even involved until he was approached in Baltimore. Of course, his mouth was open when she charges up, announces her title "I'm a lawyer for...." and in her own words " was laying her (the attendant that she identified as a junior conductor) out to the lead conductor. " He let her vent, apologized and the train left. It is definitely not "contrary" to the policy for this particular train but it may be contrary to the practice which is why I made this statement some weeks ago when the set up was being announced:

Well for starters, we’ve all seen Amtrak crews directly disobey rules when it comes to food service operating hours, dining car procedures, etc. so I’m guessing some crews will still assign seats.

They can also still assign by car, as certain cars will train / detrain at certain platforms.

Will be an interesting experiment.

Another way to drive away customers?
Have to relocate passenger in the middle of the night so a family can sit together? Is it going to be up-to the family to ask people to move, or will the conductor do it?

Well, basically when you're aren't given clear guidelines, you'll get freelancing crews. A lot of questions and situations were broached and the guidelines aren't clear. So, you get a "yes" with a "but" or a "no" with an "if" which translates into a "maybe" with a "when."

At the end of the day, it boiled down "do what you think is best," so I fully expect some to carry out a boarding plan based upon the manifest while others just throw in the towel and "give them what the want."

Some crews refuse to get involved. They will not ask people to move, shuffle, shift, be quiet or much else, while others will engage, regulate, dictate and given the chance, incarcerate. :) You'll always have an inconsistent application when you have a vague policy, particularly if people do not feel empowered.

As such, you have a passenger, staring at a vague policy that is contrary to what happens on most trains on the route and an attendant, following her guidelines, and possibly lacking support (aside from witnesses who often appear in these situations.)

As this continues down the road, I'm wondering how this will ultimately play out for passengers that start threads like Will our fam be seated together? and Boarding at Different Stops-Sitting Together on 91 because what is the real option if you ask someone to move and they don't want to? I'm pretty sure throwing them off would look bad, particularly without a clear policy that is readily available. Until a permanent solution is reached, either they should let everyone fend for themselves or provide a definite answer on which trains will have assigned (not preselected ) seating, why they will have assigned seating and make it publically available.

So, to summarize, I'm with Jis. Hopefully, this will provide guidance.

Just to add in, I did say the conductor (attendant I guess) was a woman! Or rather I said she, so maybe it wasn't picked up on. But it is interesting that she was also African-American.

One question I have:
So, when the attendant comes up (with a mother and her young daughter looking for seats together) she starts trying to move people together and basically rearrange the car to accommodate the family and the future groups' of riders. She never actually moved and since Baltimore was next, someone else moved.
Ms. Ifill said that the reason given was that "people were coming" and no one came. When you say the attendant "comes up with" a mother and child, were they with her? Or already on board? If not how does this square? If it was that they were getting on shortly, what is the point of moving someone getting off at the next stop? Just trying to understand.

I also wonder why the attendant wasn't more explicit, or even the lead conductor, in saying "a mother and child need to sit together?" I think this all would have been avoided if that had happened (although, yes, we have only really heard one side of the story).

And when she tweeted about being on the NEC but it being 80 I knew so many of the responses on Twitter were going to be, "this has never happened to me!" because most NEC passengers have no idea how things are run on LD trains. What you've said underlines this and what a lot of us in this and the other thread were saying about how this vague policy leads to inconsistencies and frustration.

Back