Does Amtrak Have Wrecked Superliner Sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for who owns what
* PCJPB/Caltrain: San Francisco-Tamien
* BNSF: LAUS-Fullerton, Bakersfield-Fresno
* SCRRA/Metrolink: Fullerton-San Diego County line, LAUS-Moorpark
* NCTD/Coaster: San Diego County line-San Diego
* UP: everything else

Mind sending me a link about this blog post.

I will send one when I'm past the rough draft.

The short of it is
-$9 billion for track improvements (approximately 3000 miles)
-$7.8 billion for equipment (1200 California cars, 300 Superliners and 260 engines)
-$3 billion to fully reopen to NCRA to Willits and Fairfield.
-$1.5 billion to double track Santa Susana Pass.
-$2 billion for environmental hardening for the Surfliner and Capitol.

I'd much rather go with a new ROW following US-101 between LAUS and Ventura county. The existing line can be saved for the short-line freights and a Simi Valley commuter line.

The only issue with this would be the cost of eminent domaining the land for a new right of way. The area in around Highway 101 is pretty built up and there doesn't appear to be a historic route in that area either. Which would get expensive quickly assuming everyone and their brother doesn't sue over it like they have with the high speed rail project.

The only issue with this would be the cost of eminent domaining the land for a new right of way. The area in around Highway 101 is pretty built up and there doesn't appear to be a historic route in that area either. Which would get expensive quickly assuming everyone and their brother doesn't sue over it like they have with the high speed rail project.

The Santa Susana alignment was a holdover from Southern Pacific and the reason for its alignment was because it was the easiest way for trains back in the late 19th century/early 20th century to leave the San Fernando Valley west for Ventura County and beyond as following the present day US 101 alignment was too hilly for trains back then (it can now be traversed with tunneling and some viaducts). I can imagine a new US-101 alignment would be similar to what Alon Levy proposed for a new Seattle rail alignment

Aside from that, some new alignment are going to be absolutely necessary, like a Cuesta Base Tunnel north of San Luis Obispo

The Santa Susana alignment was a holdover from Southern Pacific and the reason for its alignment was because it was the easiest way for trains back in the late 19th century/early 20th century to leave the San Fernando Valley west for Ventura County and beyond as following the present day US 101 alignment was too hilly for trains back then (it can now be traversed with tunneling and some viaducts). I can imagine a new US-101 alignment would be similar to what Alon Levy proposed for a new Seattle rail alignment

Aside from that, some new alignment are going to be absolutely necessary, like a Cuesta Base Tunnel north of San Luis Obispo

Part 2 would be the re-alignment of some right of ways. I know there have been suggestions to move the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquins to Franklin Canyon, rebuild the Carquinez Bridge and reopen the Sac Northern from Pittsburg to Sacramento. Which by itself could cost $3-$5 billion. Mostly because the bridges and one tunnel would be expensive. Based on the cost of the Caldecott Tunnel, it could cost $650 million per mile of tunnel, then whatever the viaducts would cost. Which is why I would put that into Part 2.

Part 2 would be the re-alignment of some right of ways. I know there have been suggestions to move the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquins to Franklin Canyon, rebuild the Carquinez Bridge and reopen the Sac Northern from Pittsburg to Sacramento. Which by itself could cost $3-$5 billion. Mostly because the bridges and one tunnel would be expensive. Based on the cost of the Caldecott Tunnel, it could cost $650 million per mile of tunnel, then whatever the viaducts would cost. Which is why I would put that into Part 2.

I think building an underwater tunnel following the Carquinez Bridge would make better sense than trying to rebuild the 1962 Carquinez Bridge so as to accomodate rail. And the rebuilt Sacramento Northern between Pittsburgh and Sacramento would be the new rail line to divert freight from the Benicia-Martinez rail bridge (that too would also be replaced with a new bridge; this would require the freeway bridge to be rebuilt)

I'm guessing Part 3 (if there's gonna be one), would include completely new rail lines, such as the the Tejon Pass railway, which is absolutely necessary for connecting the San Joaquins as the Tehachapi is pretty much off-limits for future passenger rail, a new LAUS-Santa Ana rail line following I-5 (primarily for HSR), and a new rail line following I-680 from Martinez south to San Jose

Last edited:
I think building an underwater tunnel following the Carquinez Bridge would make better sense than trying to rebuild the 1962 Carquinez Bridge so as to accomodate rail. And the rebuilt Sacramento Northern between Pittsburgh and Sacramento would be the new rail line to divert freight from the Benicia-Martinez rail bridge (that too would also be replaced with a new bridge; this would require the freeway bridge to be rebuilt)

I'm guessing Part 3 (if there's gonna be one), would include completely new rail lines, such as the the Tejon Pass railway, which is absolutely necessary for connecting the San Joaquins as the Tehachapi is pretty much off-limits for future passenger rail, a new LAUS-Santa Ana rail line following I-5 (primarily for HSR), and a new rail line following I-680 from Martinez south to San Jose

As for the Benicia bridge, the replacement for the train bridge hasn't even been fully planned yet since there isn't funding available to do so. The plan is so unplanned yet, that the advocates haven't figured out that they would need a tunnel to connect Franklin Canyon to the Martinez Subdivision. A tube would also be asking for a bit much in that area. Something like that would have to be held off until full electrification, not to mention a bridge would be a bit easier to build than a tube.

As for Tehachapi Pass, BNSF and UP have added capacity to it over the last few years, so I wouldn't say it could never be used for passenger trains should the state get its act together. From looking at train maps, there are at least 12 tunnels in the pass which would be the biggest hurdle to double or triple tracking the line. Mostly given how expensive tunneling gets before you add geology into it. If triple tracking was offered, I doubt they would say no out right. I also wouldn't expect the number of passenger trains to get much beyond 14 round trips per day, also working with the assumption that 4 of which are overnight trains.

As for Tejon Pass, I wouldn't see it as something that is necessary if you can get concessions out of the railroads to use Tehachapi. And even then, it might not even be worth given other alternatives such as beginning to electrify the busier lines or adding lines somewhere else. Not to mention if the high speed line actually gets funded, it would absorb most of the ridership anyways. Which would make lower speed, day time trains less necessary.

As for an I-5 alignment, I wouldn't advocate any money from such a project to go to the high speed project. With how spineless politicians are, asking for any more money for the high speed project would make any ask for rail funds dead on arrival.

I-680 has been semi claimed by BART as one of its future projects. I would be willing to let them plan that on their own.

Also just to bring this up, I am advocating that the $23-$30 billion phase one be paid for without asking the feds for any money. Cause once there is $1 of federal money involved, everything has to go by their rules without question. So its not like the state would have limitless money to build certain projects like Tejon Pass. The state would have to ask the question of "where is this money have the biggest bang for the buck?" Like with using this idea, if it were to get into a legislative chamber, to ask for money for the high speed rail line (I-5 to Santa Ana) or projects that could be cast as purely a purely local concern (1-680 corridor) would turn this idea into a poison pill for even the most transit friendly Democrat. Right now, I am only figuring on expanding on existing rails and plans that are somewhere in the planning process.

As for the Benicia bridge, the replacement for the train bridge hasn't even been fully planned yet since there isn't funding available to do so. The plan is so unplanned yet, that the advocates haven't figured out that they would need a tunnel to connect Franklin Canyon to the Martinez Subdivision. A tube would also be asking for a bit much in that area. Something like that would have to be held off until full electrification, not to mention a bridge would be a bit easier to build than a tube.

I'm talking about a Carquinez (I-80 route) tunnel. Benicia-Martinex (I-680) will just receive a new rail bridge.

As for Tehachapi Pass, BNSF and UP have added capacity to it over the last few years, so I wouldn't say it could never be used for passenger trains should the state get its act together. From looking at train maps, there are at least 12 tunnels in the pass which would be the biggest hurdle to double or triple tracking the line. Mostly given how expensive tunneling gets before you add geology into it. If triple tracking was offered, I doubt they would say no out right. I also wouldn't expect the number of passenger trains to get much beyond 14 round trips per day, also working with the assumption that 4 of which are overnight trains.

As for Tejon Pass, I wouldn't see it as something that is necessary if you can get concessions out of the railroads to use Tehachapi. And even then, it might not even be worth given other alternatives such as beginning to electrify the busier lines or adding lines somewhere else. Not to mention if the high speed line actually gets funded, it would absorb most of the ridership anyways. Which would make lower speed, day time trains less necessary.

Passenger trains are barred from using the Tehachapi rail line (save for the occasional Coast Starlight train whenever UP closes the Coast Subdivision for maintenance), which was why I brough up the Tejon Pass rail line in the first place. Even with the double-tracking, I'm still not sure if UP would be willing to let Amtrak California use it, even if they pressure them.

I-680 has been semi claimed by BART as one of its future projects. I would be willing to let them plan that on their own.

It seems BART's idea for I-680 rail has been shot down for the time being.

I'm talking about a Carquinez (I-80 route) tunnel. Benicia-Martinex (I-680) will just receive a new rail bridge.

Passenger trains are barred from using the Tehachapi rail line (save for the occasional Coast Starlight train whenever UP closes the Coast Subdivision for maintenance), which was why I brough up the Tejon Pass rail line in the first place. Even with the double-tracking, I'm still not sure if UP would be willing to let Amtrak California use it, even if they pressure them.

It seems BART's idea for I-680 rail has been shot down for the time being.

BART's plan, or at least one of them was shot down because they wanted to use a rail trail and the people in the San Ramon Valley said no and the median of the highway is now an express lane and is getting turned into on at least up to the bridge, so unless the people in San Ramon want to give up a trail, a rail corridor is not going to happen. If they don't want to give a trail up, a massive lawsuit would occur should the state try to eminent domain a bunch of houses to build such a corridor.

As for Tehachapi, the SP barred Amtrak and never really gave a reason. I figure, based on when this went into place and that it gets lifted every so often, that the SP wanted 1 extra slot for freight trains over allowing one passenger train to go between Sacramento and LA. I also remember someone on this forum pointing out that Tejon was considered for the High Speed Rail project but was rejected when land owners threatened to sue. Tehachapi would be a better candidate since it has an existing rail corridor and expanding capacity would require quite a substantial capital infusion. Also, even if the state doesn't get all or even a substantial portion of the time slots that could be created, that doesn't mean the state wouldn't benefit. An extra ton of freight on the rails is one less on the highways which lowers highway maintenance which the states have to finance at a deficit.

Back