Arrow Upgrades 1/12/2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you call "Julie" now you get an preliminary message stating that the reservations/status/ticketing/website systems (the whole shooting match) will be down on Sunday morning from 3 a.m. until 8 a.m.

Keep your fingers crossed that it all comes back on time.

jb

From the dawn of big-time computing, most computer systems, from online systems to mainframe systems, have usually 'reserved' Sunday mornings for system maintenance and updates.

One large mainframe installation I worked at had 6 AM to Noon scheduled for hardware maintenance and/or upgrades, and Noon to 6PM for software maintenance & upgrades. One large bank I worked at had an errant systems programmer replace the SORT software mid day and it instantly shut down a couple dozen check sorters in multiple states! That's why Sundays are the preferred system update times.

It's normally for the website and apps to go down on a Saturday into Sunday. Normally if one needs to make a reservation at that hour they need to call.

This is a little more extensive than the normal Sunday maintenance because
  1. The downtime period is extended from 6 a.m. until 8 a.m., and
  2. They put up a special announcement when you call "Julie".
jb

Looks like it's back on line now and no fare increases were seen on one route checked <whew!>

A further fare check using AmSnag (thanks, Paul) shows that sleeper fares for the Silver Star have been elevated to the level of the Silver Meteor for travel dates beginning 1 May 2020. Don't know if this change was made this morning or earlier, but it reflects what was reported in some other thread about dining on the S. Star.

A further fare check using AmSnag (thanks, Paul) shows that sleeper fares for the Silver Star have been elevated to the level of the Silver Meteor for travel dates beginning 1 May 2020. Don't know if this change was made this morning or earlier, but it reflects what was reported in some other thread about dining on the S. Star.

If this was just a server migration thing then I doubt prices or anything else was changed during the maintenance down time.

The change for Silver Star fares (for at least the dates for which I was looking) was made earlier than this morning.

Hopefully the long term project to replace ARROW with systems written in anything higher level than assembly language continues. I know they got off the original hardware and are running it on giant IBM emulators as of several years ago.

Back