Silver Star Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In early October, I was on the Silver Meteor and several managers were on board. One of the managers worked the Silver Star. At that time, he stated that flex dining would be coming to the Silver Star, but a Viewliner Diner/Sleeper Lounge would not. He stated that the cafe car would be a single food service car with one half for coach passengers and one half for sleeper passengers. Since I heard this in early October, things may have changed.

Sad news :(

How many sleepers does the Star usually run with?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do it with a “half” cafe car either. Anything with the VL2s May be longer term, but I guess we’ll see. If they are going to a single food car it does make sense to eventually modify the diners for this purpose. These are brand new cars. Otherwise you’re basically going to end up scrapping the brand new dining cars and having to order more food service cars as part of the Amfleet 2 order. However if they feel the amfleet diner lite is the ideal setup and the VL2 diners can’t be modified to a format acceptable for them then maybe it is inevitable that the diners will be parked or forever serve as axle counts and they’ll have to order new food cars as part of the amfleet 2 replacement.

Seems appropriate to bring this thread back from zombieland with the missives that an internal Wiki post has apparently appeared within Amtrak talking about initiation of Sleeper Lounge Service with Flexible Dining for Sleeper passengers on the Silver Star starting May 1, 2020. Awaiting a more public announcement at some point.

This apparently includes adding a VL II Diner to the consist.

That would leave only the Cardinal among the overnight eastern trains without a VL II Diner, unless that has already been added to it or happens to be something that is added to it mid-year this year.

Interestingly, back in 2017 absolutely no one had come remotely close to guessing what would happen by 2019/2020!

So those currently booked on the Star in sleeper accommodations for travel after May 1, 2020 will be getting free meal service, since we know from past experience that Amtrak doesn't change pricing for service changes after booking. I'd say it's nice for the customer to win for a change, but flex dining is no prize.

They have made changes to it based on customer feedback so it’s not impossible that it will eventually get to the point where it’s an acceptable product. I would keep the comments going to customer relations about which menu items are ok and which are terrible. This sort of meal service could be acceptable with the right improvements - this sort of meal service works for most people on some airlines and also on Acela first.

Actually, the quality of the Contemporary Flex meals, though they could be better, is better than what is offered in the cafe car.

Also, I appreciated having the dedicated lounge space for sleeper passengers. On my last trip (on the Cardinal), dedicating half the cafe car for this purpose was adequate, because we only had 12 people in the sleeper. But on a train that was more crowded (like I would expect the Silvers to be), I would prefer to have that V2 diner-lounger. It also frees up lounge space for the coach passengers.
Not to everyone. On our four "Flecks dining" rides, I saw multiple sleeper passengers buying food in the cafe to eat in the Dinnerless Lounge, particularly the millennials that supposedly wanted it. Even my wife, on one meal, just couldn't stand it any more and bought lunch in the cafe. I was too cheap to do so.

Not to everyone. On our four "Flecks dining" rides, I saw multiple sleeper passengers buying food in the cafe to eat in the Dinnerless Lounge, particularly the millennials that supposedly wanted it. Even my wife, on one meal, just couldn't stand it any more and bought lunch in the cafe. I was too cheap to do so.
Agreed. Here is the current (???) national cafe menu. Even if we just look at breakfast you can get a breakfast bowl, which I believe is Gluten Free so that's a hot breakfast item available for those of us who can't eat gluten. (Actually I may buy one on my next LD trip... it would definitely compliment the yogurt and cheerios I can get.)

For lunch / dinner you have sandwiches, burgers, garden salad, chicken wings, and mac n cheese. Plus some nice snacks like hummus and chips, cheese and cracker plate etc.

The last "meal" i had in a cafe car was years ago and it was the veggie burger and I feel it was about equal to the quality of the hot entrees in the flex dining. That's my experience though.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/national/National-Cafe-Menu-1119.pdf

Last edited:
So those currently booked on the Star in sleeper accommodations for travel after May 1, 2020 will be getting free meal service, since we know from past experience that Amtrak doesn't change pricing for service changes after booking. I'd say it's nice for the customer to win for a change, but flex dining is no prize.
Funny. I booked an SS bedroom for me, wife and 4 year old for our July vacation. Southbound the Star is a better schedule for us. Plan was to pack for the trip with snacks/sandwiches/ramen etc and buy from the cafe car as needed. Will still pack some stuff anyway, but I do see that May 1 is the date on the Amtrak site..

Last edited:
Funny. I booked an SS bedroom for me, wife and 4 year old for our July vacation. Southbound the Star is a better schedule for us. Plan was to pack for the trip with snacks/sandwiches/ramen etc and buy from the cafe car as needed. Will still pack some stuff anyway, but I do see that May 1 is the date on the Amtrak site..

You will be a test subject then.....let us know if you hear anything from Amtrak about changes to your fare for addition of meal service. I'm really curious to see if they let those with already purchased tickets keep the same fare, especially after noticing the Star bedroom bucket rate has already increased in post-May 1 trips by about $400 for FTL to NYP

You will be a test subject then.....let us know if you hear anything from Amtrak about changes to your fare for addition of meal service. I'm really curious to see if they let those with already purchased tickets keep the same fare, especially after noticing the Star bedroom bucket rate has already increased in post-May 1 trips by about $400 for FTL to NYP
Will do. However, I just remembered that this is a points ticket. Will definitely post here if I get any notifications though.

We traveled with points last year and I'm pretty sure points go up when fares do. There is probably a points per dollar formula used.
They do but this shouldn't affect an already purchased ticket. Even if Flex dining is added they should be OK. It would be beyond cheap and tacky for Amtrak to try to shake one down for more AGR's or dollars after purchase.

As a common carrier I don't think Amtrak can unilaterally reprice tickets that were already purchased and issued. So long as you don't make any passenger-initiated changes the original terms and pricing should remain valid. I suppose they could refuse to provide you the extra meal service if they really wanted to get petty about it. If Amtrak tried to retroactively reprice a ticket you already purchased and possessed you'd have a strong case for compensation. The only problem is that you'd have to make that case to an arbitrator who may feel pressured to favor Amtrak in order to be hired to resolve future disputes.

Last edited:
Back in 1986 when Amtrak went to meals included with sleeping car space, I already had a trip booked. I received all the meals for my sleeping car legs without any change in fare even though it had not been paid and ticketed yet (apparently the fare was guaranteed as I did not pay for it until 75 days out even thought it had been booked 11 months out - possibly related - this was an "All-Aboard" excursion fare that gave you a lot of coach transportation for a period of time (I don't remember the details) plus could be upgraded). The trip included Portland to Chicago via 28 and due to Expo 86 (Vancouver) that summer, the Portland sleeper was rerouted to Seattle. As I had booked sleeper before the change, I received a box dinner from the cafe on the Portland to Spokane leg (box meals were being provided to all downgraded sleeping car passengers). In my collection of stuff, I still have the ticket stubs as well as other stuff and there is a print of my reservation that a station agent gave me where it has the note "TR28 REAACOM//COMP DINNER".

Just a note...I've always love the Auto Train with its TWO diners. Sleeping car denizens get their own and the last time I was on it dinner was on white starched table cloths, linen napkins and the food was EXCELLENT!
That was nine years ago.
9 years ago that would have described almost all Amtrak diners.

We booked 2 Silver Star roomettes in September for this coming August. (We opted not to go with the Meteor because the schedule for Star was so much more convenient for our travel plans. We planned to just bring a bit of our own food to supplement the cafe car.) We paid in full when we booked. While we are aware of the flex dining now being in effect for our trip and we are aware that tickets for a roomette identical to ours has now jumped in price, we haven't heard a single peep directly from Amtrak about the changes at all. I really don't expect to.

... and the food was EXCELLENT!
That was nine years ago.
A looong time ago. Today it's COSTCO disposable plastic (sporks coming soon). Your basic "airline" food. And starting next week...Coach passengers will be on a diet! LOL

We booked 2 Silver Star roomettes in September for this coming August. (We opted not to go with the Meteor because the schedule for Star was so much more convenient for our travel plans. We planned to just bring a bit of our own food to supplement the cafe car.) We paid in full when we booked. While we are aware of the flex dining now being in effect for our trip and we are aware that tickets for a roomette identical to ours has now jumped in price, we haven't heard a single peep directly from Amtrak about the changes at all. I really don't expect to.

Not sure of your route but when I calculated the difference in price for my route, divided by the number of meals it came to $30 each. Per person, per meal. Even with the free wine that is highway robbery.

$30 a meal is a bargain when compared to some day when Roomettes are both at next-to-highest bucket on the Silvers. The $273 fare difference for the whole route makes for almost $70 per meal. But on some other day when the SS is at low bucket and the SM is at high bucket that $428 fare difference comes out to about <gulp!> $100 per meal.

But some here would say that's comparing apples to sour grapes.

But it all evens out for travel dates on or after 1 May 2020 when the SS sleeper fares go up to the level of the SM.

Last edited:
$30 a meal is a bargain when compared to some day when Roomettes are both at next-to-highest bucket on the Silvers. The $273 fare difference for the whole route makes for almost $70 per meal. But on some other day when the SS is at low bucket and the SM is at high bucket that $428 fare difference comes out to about <gulp!> $100 per meal.

But some here would say that's comparing apples to sour grapes.

But it all evens out for travel dates on or after 1 May 2020 when the SS sleeper fares go up to the level of the SM.
Yeah...I never thought I'd say this, but I wish they'd just left the included crap off on this one. I have some very explicit opinions as to what the folks who planned the implementation of it can do. I think they would violate the site's T&C.

I suppose you could also go way, way past it by dividing the difference between the high and low bucket Bedroom fares for a route segment traveled in between meal times. The cost per meal would thus be kind of like ($ Fare Difference) ÷ (Zero meals) ≈ $ Infinite per meal.

[Yes, I realize the above approximation is only rigorous if set up à la calculus as a limit as the number of meals approaches zero o_O]

And those lowest rates you mentioned are simply the lowest you found - not the lowest possible buckets for each (which are equal after 30 April 2020). It's not unusual to find the lowest bucket or two not being offered at all on the day of an AmSnag search. Same goes for high buckets on some routes.

Last edited:
Back