#22(1/05) 7 Hours Late out of SAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Due to #2 (1/03) arriving 7+ Hours Late into San Antonio, Todays #22(1/05) Left SAS 5+ Hours Late heading North.

Cant find any info as to why #2 took 9 Hours to go from Del Rio to SAS which is 150 Miles???!!!

Edited to correct SAS time!And thanks for the info on the Freight Derailment and #1 and #2 running 7+ Hours Late!

Last edited:
Due to #2 (1/03) arriving 9+ Hours Late into San Antonio, Todays #22(1/05) Left SAS 7+ Hours Late heading North.

Cant find any info as to why #2 took 9 Hours to go from Del Rio to SAS which is 150 Miles???!!!
From Facebook, I saw a comment about a freight train train breakdown...#1 was also affected on the other side of the blockage. IIRC the blockage was around Sabinal.

I'm reading it was 7:32 late arriving and 7:23 Late departing.
http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/gettrain.pl?seltrain=2&selmonth=01&selday=03&selyear=2020
Still bad, service disruption involved. If it was a freight problem, was it single track there? I don't know the solution, I've been caught in these situations a couple of times, it wasn't but once a problem for me. But it would be a big problem for anyone who needed to be at their destination on time.

Only once did I need to revise my itinerary to a different train, and AGR got it and revised it. We got back home in time and it didn't cost anything to do it. I don't know if I could do that now. But I'd call AGR if I were in that situation, they are far better than calling Amtrak and hoping for someone who not only knows about the workarounds but gives a s***.

Last edited:
I don't get Amtrak operations, why stab hundreds of pax for what? 80 people at max? Stick them on charter buses. And we wonder why 21/22 pax numbers are down.

There were no buses available when this began. Bus drivers are hours of service employees too.
Are you really claiming there were no buses available in the seventh largest city in the country during a non-holiday daytime event? This isn't some distant rural outpost in the middle of nowhere. At least be honest and sincere enough to say they held everyone back several hours because there were no buses at a price Amtrak was willing to pay.

Are you really claiming there were no buses available in the seventh largest city in the country during a non-holiday daytime event? This isn't some distant rural outpost in the middle of nowhere. At least be honest and sincere enough to say they held everyone back several hours because there were no buses at a price Amtrak was willing to pay.

Buses....like trains, don't just fall from the sky when you clap your hands and operate where you want them to. Not being able to find buses is not an uncommon problem, especially if you need a few of them. It becomes even more problematic when you want them to cover long distances or report to outlying locations since they are governed by hours of service laws.

City size can also be an issue since a lot of bus operators are already committed to other operations and may not keep pools around just in case Amtrak or some other entity comes calling...at the last minute.

New York City is a prime example. It is extremely difficult to get buses in New York in a timely fashion...if you get them at all.

Back