Someone didn't get the memo (Pepsi in Club Acela in WAS?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, doesn’t Amtrak have an exclusive contract with Pepsi. It’s VIA Rail that has an exclusive contract with Coke. That is why on the Maple Leaf until Niagara Falls, NY (while in the US and it’s an Amtrak train) you can buy Pepsi but not Coke. Between Niagara Falls, ON and Toronto (when it’s officially a VIA train), you can buy a Coke but not Pepsi.

The Downeaster has a different contractor and only sells Coke.

Well, doesn’t Amtrak have an exclusive contract with Pepsi. It’s VIA Rail that has an exclusive contract with Coke. That is why on the Maple Leaf until Niagara Falls, NY (while in the US and it’s an Amtrak train) you can buy Pepsi but not Coke. Between Niagara Falls, ON and Toronto (when it’s officially a VIA train), you can buy a Coke but not Pepsi.

The Downeaster has a different contractor and only sells Coke.
Ah, you haven't gotten the memo yet, either. About a month or two ago, Amtrak switched fizzy sugar water suppliers. Now they serve Coke products. Except, apparently, at the Club Acela in Washington.

Good heavens! Not another thread about soda pop!! I hope nobody finds a dispenser for Faygo or Sam's Cola someplace. Sheeesh!!!

I wonder how much uproar there'll be if Amtrak changes toilet paper supplier. :rolleyes:

Ah, you haven't gotten the memo yet, either. About a month or two ago, Amtrak switched fizzy sugar water suppliers. Now they serve Coke products. Except, apparently, at the Club Acela in Washington.
But since the Maple Leaf turns into a VIA Train ( Amtrak equipment) after crossing into Ontario, they still replace the Cafe fare with Canadian stuff so Canadian Coke will replace US Coke!:D

The lounges are run by independent contractors and contract separately for soft drinks. That’s why you see Pepsi in the DC Acela lounge. The Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago also still has Pepsi.

Good heavens! Not another thread about soda pop!! I hope nobody finds a dispenser for Faygo or Sam's Cola someplace. Sheeesh!!!

I wonder how much uproar there'll be if Amtrak changes toilet paper supplier. :rolleyes:

IIRC there was a thread a while back that featured quite a discussion about Amtrak trains' disctinctively scented liquid soap.

No Amtrak-related minutiae is too minute for AU!

The lounges are run by independent contractors and contract separately for soft drinks. That’s why you see Pepsi in the DC Acela lounge. The Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago also still has Pepsi.

Of course, Amtrak could easily specify that a condition of winning the contract is that the contractor has to exclusively provide Coke products. It might be that Amtrak does not care about it enough to specify that, or that the contracts simply haven't been renewed yet since the soda-changeover occurred.

But since the Maple Leaf turns into a VIA Train ( Amtrak equipment) after crossing into Ontario, they still replace the Cafe fare with Canadian stuff so Canadian Coke will replace US Coke!:D
Now if they'd just load Mexican Coke (the beverage;)) in either direction for those of us tired of corn syrup.

Now if they'd just load Mexican Coke (the beverage;)) in either direction for those of us tired of corn syrup.

We have a restaurant in Simpsonville SC that carries Mexican coke. (Pandaria Las Estrellas). There really is a big difference !

We have a restaurant in Simpsonville SC that carries Mexican coke. (Pandaria Las Estrellas). There really is a big difference !
The source for we Canadians used to be Costco in northern NYS, but Costco here has it occasionally now and it's started showing up in small packs in the imported foods sections of higher-end grocery stores. For those of us old enough to remember when all Coke was made that way it's a special treat.

That just means sourcing it from Quebec (which makes it in a very similar way). A few years ago, I actually pondered the feasibility of taking the train up to Montreal to buy a few cases versus buying it at home (at then-substantially-higher prices). The numbers didn't quite work out, but they were actually respectably close.

I believe the similar Coke product you're referring to is only made at certain times of the year for Kosher high holidays. It's sold in several delis I'm aware of in Montreal. Coke has also recently come out with a number of new "boutique" Coke products that are made with cane sugar - at much higher prices of course. Mexican Coke can be purchased at Costco for basically $1 per bottle in quantity.

Just to keep this on-topic, let's assume that the glass bottles would be a problem for both Amtrak and VIA.:D

Being that Amtrak doesn't have control over the outside entities that run the lounges, this is likely the case.

You're suggesting that Amtrak does not have any control over what their customers encounter inside Amtrak's branded lounges. I highly doubt this is the case. If someone walked into an Acela Lounge and was greeted by Hooters girls and a Megabus ticket counter, you can be sure Amtrak would put a stop to that.

The type of soda obviously ranks far lower in importance, but ultimately Amtrak is making a choice to allow the contractor to put Amtrak's name on the lounge. This clearly involves an exchange of money, and as such there are undoubtedly terms and conditions. If Amtrak doesn't want Pepsi products, they can put it in the contract or else find a new contractor if the current one doesn't want to play ball. I'm guessing it's just not important enough to Amtrak to make it a point of negotiation.

Wait, you've got an old man here & knows nothing about Mexican Coke (beverage), what's the difference?
In the US most non-diet sodas are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, but in other countries soda is still made with sugar because the government doesn't subsidize corn production or promote the use of corn derived ingredients. These days nearly everyone thinks of 1985's "New Coke" as a colossal marketing flop, but the real genius was how the uproar over the change gave cover to an ingredient switch that was overlooked by the majority of American consumers.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's just not important enough to Amtrak to make it a point of negotiation.

Agreed. Thus it's unlikely we'll see any changes in the soft drinks. It doesn't make much of a difference to me, I'll drink either Coke or Pepsi, although I'm not as fond of cola out of a dispenser. The old Legacy Club at CUS used to serve Pepsi in cans and I know the PDX Metro Lounge does too. That would be my preference.

Back