Auto Train delay question re vehicle acceptance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is a delay on the Auto Train, does that mean I can drop off my car later? For example, if there is a 3 hour delay (say departure at 7 pm instead of 4 pm), can I drop off my car by 5 pm instead of the usual 2 pm? I have a 4 hour drive just to get to Lorton, and would rather spent the extra time at home than in the Lorton waiting room! Thanks.

There is a last acceptance time for cars traveling on the Auto train. Unless otherwise noted, cars will not be accepted past that time. In the event of a foreseeable delay, they often extend the last car accepted period, and it varies. It is based upon when they think the set will be ready...not on what is actually occurring in the field. Once it is set, it is not typically extended again. You won't find that information here as this is not an official Amtrak website.

You should get on the phone with Amtrak and ask them what time will is the last car accepted.

We arrived at SFA at noon and there was no train. They weren't leaving til 10:00PM and said we could go take a tour and come back something like 6:00. It was a madhouse as all the Departing cars were parked on the grass, sidewalks, down to the highway....they'd just a soon you weren't there!

When our 12/28 train out of Lorton was delayed a few hours, we received an automated call indicating that the time to drop off your vehicle was extended to 4 pm. The place was a parking lot when we got there (2pm perhaps, can't recall). We were about 20 cars back from the booth where they assign numbers for your car. It was suggested that we go ahead inside and check in, as that line was going nowhere for a while. Fortunately, when the line started to move, everyone in front of us were ready and waiting.

Last edited:
Back