Lojack - Auto Train, any issues? Also, Dining and arrival time question...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLNT

Service Attendant
12/20 is coming quick - for our first Auto Train experience! I read something about turning off auto alarms. When I purchased our new auto earlier this year we opted for a Lojack. For those familiar with them, and how the cars are handled on the train, is there anything I'd need to take care of prior to handing off our vehicle to them?

Also - how are dining times assigned? Is that based on which car your bedroom is in, or is it based on boarding time? (I'm definitely an early dinner, given the option)!

One last thing, boarding in Sanford, is ~ 1pm a good station arrival time?

THANKS

Meal times are selected on first to check in, first to select times. So if you arrive at 1 PM and there is a full train, most of the early times may be gone. Also depends on how many seating they offer. Normal is three, but I’ve seen 4 and 2, again depending of the load factor. Call me a worry wart, but I would not arrived later that 1PM. That assumes the train is on time.

I can’t help you with the lo-jack question.

You can contact a LoJack Customer Service Representative at 1-800-4-LOJACK (800-456-5225). But as I see it...this is a vehicle recovery system. It seems to be more of an "after" theft locate & disable device activated by federal, state or local law enforcement.
With the number of years and more then bi-monthly AT trips I do...I've seen a thing-or-two! LOL FYI: keep in mind: numbers assigned to your car are completely random and UNloading is not related to time of loading...i.e., early load could be last off (I've been last and 2nd last...hmmm...but never 1st?!?).
I'm there 12:30 - 1:00 (and have a pre-boarding picnic).

Attachments

• Picnic.jpg
    Picnic.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 26
  • picnic3.jpg
    picnic3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for the info, and great pics :)

There will be 5 of us, occupying three bedrooms. For dinner, am I correct in that the largest table will seat a maximum of 4 people? If so, we'll probably break up with two of us at one table, and three at the other. Will they fill all the seats of a table (in other words, will we have random table mates)?

THANKS

There will be 5 of us, occupying three bedrooms. For dinner, am I correct in that the largest table will seat a maximum of 4 people? If so, we'll probably break up with two of us at one table, and three at the other. Will they fill all the seats of a table (in other words, will we have random table mates)?

THANKS
Yes. I have been in groups of 5 where they broke us up into 4 and 1 and also 3 and 2. It may depend on the LSA and how busy the dining car.

... we'll probably break up with two of us at one table, and three at the other. THANKS
Present yourselves as a party of 3 and a party of 2. Yes, they fill every available seat...you'll "meet" dinner companions.
PS...I'll just miss you...just got back (mail, bills, check the house) and going again on the 24th!

Will be an Auto Train customer on January 28th and had not thought about assigned dining car times for this roomette guest. I will be in Sanford the day before boarding and expect to be at the Auto Train station as soon as possible to do so. Pleased to learn that I ought to be able to have my choice of dining times.

Based upon the concerns that I have posted on this Forum about my car's alarm system, I have confidence in what I have learned that when my car remains unlocked, the alarm system is not armed. Even if it is and it goes off during its journey, the alarm will turn off after a brief period of time and not drain the battery. I'm not going to worry about that prospect!

After some deliberations, four of us will go to dinner together, and one will bring a... PUBLIX SUB!!

So... to ensure an early dining time, what would be the suggested arrival time at the station? (almost said "terminal", as we've cruised literally 100 times --- need to get used to this rail lingo)! :D

It may depend on the LSA and how busy the dining car.

This is the best answer.

As far as getting an early dinner time ticket goes. Normally going North to VA during the winter time you wouldn't have to much to worry about. BUT, you're leaving on the 20th, which is the Friday before Christmas, so travel may be heavier then normal.

This is the best answer.

As far as getting an early dinner time ticket goes. Normally going North to VA during the winter time you wouldn't have to much to worry about. BUT, you're leaving on the 20th, which is the Friday before Christmas, so travel may be heavier then normal.

Apparently, on our trip north in 6 short days, there are still ALL categories of sleeping accommodations remaining. As for our return trip (12/28), they've been sold out for weeks. I literally checked availability several times a day to, first, get us on the train (in coach) when someone cancelled, then - one by one, all into rooms (roomettes). Still hoping for the elusive bedroom to pop up --- but THAT will be a busy train!

I'm envious. Especially of the gu
After some deliberations, four of us will go to dinner together, and one will bring a... PUBLIX SUB!!

So... to ensure an early dining time, what would be the suggested arrival time at the station? (almost said "terminal", as we've cruised literally 100 times --- need to get used to this rail lingo)! :D

I'm envious - especially of the guy who rides the A/T frequently. I've only ridden once, and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Anyway, the A/T locations are "Terminals". The trains start and end there. A "station" is a run through.
But the result is the same - an enjoyable trip and avoiding that L O N G G drive on 95. ISTR it is about a 25,000 mile drive from DC to Orlando...
Enjoy!

The sub is an excellent way to handle it, and Publix is a good choice. You can add other items to complement that sub too.

Last September our dinner on the A-T was very good with the flat iron steak cooked perfectly. All the sleeper passengers we met were very friendly and quite interesting. As good as Publix is, your ‘lonely guy’ might enjoy being seated with strangers and find that company as good as yours!

For sleeping accommodations, what kind of tip range is typical? (not to open a can of worms, and I know this can vary a lot)!

Back