Seattle, WA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm in Seattle, I usually try at least once to eat an early supper at the Old Spaghetti Factory and watch the Empire Builder go by. And I second the recommendation for Bill Speidel's Underground Tour. Twice I've stashed luggage at the station and taken the tour in the afternoon before leaving on the Empire Builder.

And now a question. How does the ORCA card work with a senior fare? In particular, is it necessary to buy a senior ORCA card? I ask because I will not be 65 on my next visit to Seattle, but will be 65 on the subsequent visit. I'd rather not buy a regular ORCA card for $5 now and then by a senior ORCA card for $3 next time. Can the regular ORCA card be converted or otherwise used as a senior ORCA card? Thanks for any enlightenment.

Last edited by a moderator:
And now a question. How does the ORCA card work with a senior fare? In particular, is it necessary to buy a senior ORCA card? I ask because I will not be 65 on my next visit to Seattle, but will be 65 on the subsequent visit. I'd rather not buy a regular ORCA card for $5 now and then by a senior ORCA card for $3 next time. Can the regular ORCA card be converted or otherwise used as a senior ORCA card? Thanks for any enlightenment.
No. The regular ORCA card is totally separate from the Regional Reduced Fare Permit (the official name for the Senior ORCA card). Also, important to note, it's not exactly easy to get a Regional Reduced Fare Permit. You either need to apply by mail or visit the King Street Center (not far from King Street Station) between 8:30am - 4:30pm to apply in person. Hope that helps... I know it's probably not what you want to hear.

Thanks, rickycourtney. Applying by mail will probably be easier when the time comes. I would rather be able to convert a regular ORCA card to the RRFP, but it's good to know how things work.

I got my RRFP ORCA card a few years back, just by asking at Westlake customer service window (now mostly closed)

The senior discount is worth a lot -- last year was $1 any bus or train any distance any time (ferries excepted) -- if memory serves. I keep the card for future visits.

Now is more hassle to get the RRFP ORCA card, but well worth it if you travel Seattle for more than a day or two. Like it.

Thanks, rickycourtney. Applying by mail will probably be easier when the time comes. I would rather be able to convert a regular ORCA card to the RRFP, but it's good to know how things work.

Northwest Folklife will happen next weekend,.

Seattle Center (the park and museums and performance venues in Seattle Center near the Space Needle) will bust out with at least a hundred sponsored performers, as many buskers, and a contradance marathon.

I've attended 4-5 times, if you like folkdance, beer, fairly decent "festival food" --

Be there or be a rectangle :)

Seattle Center (the park and museums and performance venues in Seattle Center near the Space Needle) will bust out with at least a hundred sponsored performers, as many buskers, and a contradance marathon.

I've attended 4-5 times, if you like folkdance, beer, fairly decent "festival food" --

I'll be in SEA on Saturday...not too happy since I'd rather enjoy the area without a festival crowd...hope my Space Needle tickets are still good...

I'll be in SEA on Saturday...not too happy since I'd rather enjoy the area without a festival crowd...hope my Space Needle tickets are still good...
Don't worry it -- if you have the "space needle tix" you can ride the space needle , no worries

The "Festival Crowd" is , and has been, in my experience, only my 6 times at FolkLife - totally zero sweat, mellow, helpful crowd.

I expect that, if you ask anybody at the NW Folklife scene for any advice on food, or where to ply your musical instrument, or where to crash, no questions.

Nobody stops you from the many other attractions that will be less crowded next weekend.

Play it by ear, and no fear.

I have a question about getting from a northbound Cascades train to SeaTac. Should I get off at Tukwila or Seattle? Amtrak describes the connection from King Street Station to SeaTac by light rail in the timetable, but there is an airplane icon by the Tukwila station in the schedule. The train wastes quite a bit of time going the last few miles into Seattle in addition to the closer proximity to the airport of Tukwila. Is it easy to get from the Tukwila Amtrak station to the light rail station?

I have a question about getting from a northbound Cascades train to SeaTac. Should I get off at Tukwila or Seattle? Amtrak describes the connection from King Street Station to SeaTac by light rail in the timetable, but there is an airplane icon by the Tukwila station in the schedule. The train wastes quite a bit of time going the last few miles into Seattle in addition to the closer proximity to the airport of Tukwila. Is it easy to get from the Tukwila Amtrak station to the light rail station?
From Amtrak station Tukwila to the light rail station called "Tukwila" at least a mile or two - no good way between.

Taxi, Uber, etc from Tukwila direct to SEA -- spendy, but works and saves time.

Between Tukwila station (served by Amtrak Cascades) and Tukwila International Boulevard station (served by Link light rail) you can catch the RapidRide F Line bus. RapidRide is King County's faux-BRT system (makes fewer stops, hits fewer red lights). The trip between the two stations takes about 15 minutes and buses depart every 15 minutes (10 during weekday peak periods). The fare is $2.50 ($2.75 during weekday peak periods).

To get to Sea-Tac Airport from Tukwila Int'l Blvd station you can either take the RapidRide A Line (takes about 7 minutes and you'll get a free transfer from the F Line) or Link (takes about 2 minutes, but unless you have the $5 ORCA card, there's no transfer credit so you'll have to pay another $2.25).

In total, the trip from Tukwila station (the Amtrak one) and Sea-Tac Airport should take about 35 minutes.

The other option is to ride Amtrak to King Street Station in Seattle. From there, walk across the street to International District/Chinatown station and ride Link to SeaTac/Airport station which costs $3.00 and takes about 37 minutes (plus another 20-25 minutes on the train).

Hope that helps!

Between Tukwila station (served by Amtrak Cascades) and Tukwila International Boulevard station (served by Link light rail) you can catch the RapidRide F Line bus. RapidRide is King County's faux-BRT system (makes fewer stops, hits fewer red lights). The trip between the two stations takes about 15 minutes and buses depart every 15 minutes (10 during weekday peak periods). The fare is $2.50 ($2.75 during weekday peak periods).

To get to Sea-Tac Airport from Tukwila Int'l Blvd station you can either take the RapidRide A Line (takes about 7 minutes and you'll get a free transfer from the F Line) or Link (takes about 2 minutes, but unless you have the $5 ORCA card, there's no transfer credit so you'll have to pay another $2.25).

In total, the trip from Tukwila station (the Amtrak one) and Sea-Tac Airport should take about 35 minutes.

The other option is to ride Amtrak to King Street Station in Seattle. From there, walk across the street to International District/Chinatown station and ride Link to SeaTac/Airport station which costs $3.00 and takes about 37 minutes (plus another 20-25 minutes on the train).

Hope that helps!
Well, that sounds a bit complicated, and there are time constraints unless I take the first train out of Portland in the morning. I am trying to catch a 5 PM bus from the airport that takes me to the San Juan Islands ferry terminal.

So I have decided to take a later train all the way to Bellingham and spend the night there, then take a train back to Mount Vernon the next morning. Mount Vernon is the closest station to the ferry terminal, and I will have all day to make the connection from train to ferry.

This way, I get in some mileage on Amtrak I have not traveled before. The stretch between Mount Vernon and Bellingham includes some very scenic coastal running, but due to problems connecting between trains and ferries I have not been able to travel that stretch.

Just wanted to follow up on a couple things here...

The connection from King Street Station to SeaTac by Link is very easy, although it is a bit of a walk from the light rail station across a giant parking structure to the airport terminals.

I also wanted to comment on Seattle lodging. My wife and I always stay at the Edgewater Hotel--half their rooms are directly on the water. There is a Marriott that also advertises a waterfront location, but it is actually across a freeway from the water. The Edgewater features a "northwest modern" decor--think tree bark and lasers. It has a great restaurant, also right on the water.

Thinking about taking a trip to Seattle next year (via Coast Starlight). We would rent a car in SEA. My wife wants an upscale place that's not too far from Seattle where we can enjoy some water views (though we're not swimmers!), resort-ey things, etc. By way of comparison, we loved Cannon Beach in Oregon (about 90 min from PDX). A "artsy-fartsy" place with shops, nice restaurants, would be great.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, in advance!

You could stay in Seattle at the Edgewater hotel I recommended after arrival on the Coast Starlight, then catch the Victoria Clipper right next door the next morning to Victoria.

In Victoria, I would look into the Oak Bay Beach Hotel, which looks like it has a nice spa (I stayed there many years ago, but it was very different then). The Empress is famous and right downtown on the harbor, but I think their rooms are overpriced. If you want to stay downtown (and go to tea or the spa at the Empress), I recommend the Hotel Grand Pacific.

You could stay in Seattle at the Edgewater hotel I recommended after arrival on the Coast Starlight, then catch the Victoria Clipper right next door the next morning to Victoria.

In Victoria, I would look into the Oak Bay Beach Hotel, which looks like it has a nice spa (I stayed there many years ago, but it was very different then). The Empress is famous and right downtown on the harbor, but I think their rooms are overpriced. If you want to stay downtown (and go to tea or the spa at the Empress), I recommend the Hotel Grand Pacific.
I really need to put this in a Victoria BC thread, but if you're staying there for a few nights the Fairholme Manor B&B is awesome. Beautiful rooms, some with fireplace (ours had both a fireplace and a private balcony), and gracious hosts who serve a gourmet breakfast every morning. Just a short stroll away are the grounds of Government House...we literally saw deer grazing there. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

718F12DD-668E-4C61-86DF-028DD5EAC3C1.jpeg A new Embassy Suites opened up virtually across the street from the station. I stayed there last night and my room overlooked the station.

Last edited:
Check out the Moore Hotel 2 blocks from the market. Much cheaper. An old style hotel with thick solid wood doors and use a real key! Nothing fancy with no air conditioning but 2 blocks from market. Friendly staff. Have used it for almost 20 years.

Check out the Moore Hotel 2 blocks from the market. Much cheaper. An old style hotel with thick solid wood doors and use a real key! Nothing fancy with no air conditioning but 2 blocks from market. Friendly staff. Have used it for almost 20 years.
The HI Hostel close to King Street Station in the Internationsl District is nothing fancy ( it's an old Hotel), but perfectly OK for a couple of nights.

It has Shared Dorm Roons and Private Rooms @ Reasonable Prices.

It's amazing how much Seattle has changed in the last couple of years. The techies have sort of changed the personality of the city, New building going on and the elevated road way along the waterfront, Alaskan Viaduct gone. As far as getting out of town, I like to catch a ferry to Bremerton, or Bainbridge island and then drive to Port Angeles, Port Townsend area.

Back