My reusable coffee mug on the Northeast Regionals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get super disgusted when people refill their water bottles at Chicago's Metropolitan lounge. I would prefer amtrak continue with the rule of not filling personal beverage containers.

There's already rumblings about how the reusable bags (What a surprise) are actually causing more issues than the plastic bags they were supposed to replace. Yeah all we need is reusable NON degradable cups ending up in the dumpsters and landfill.
There are rumblings that your comprehension of environmental issues is limited to echo chamber logic and knee-jerk contrarianism.

Last edited:
If water flows downward into a container positioned far enough below a spigot, there is no reason why that container should touch the spigot and potentially contaminate it for subsequent users. The challenge is better design -- a sturdy shelf large enough to hold the container -- about 15" below the bottom of the spigot. Water should not be overly pressurized or it will be the cause of a mess.

I know diseases like norovirus are a real issue. Actual water drinking faucets are a much more likely way to spread disease than filling used water bottles. Just sayin' ...

because usually, when I have seen it, they place the spigot inside the water bottle which means it most likely comes in contact with the inside of their water bottle. I'm generally not a germaphobe but that really disgusts me.
I don't disagree this is an issue, but I also think there are solutions outside simply banning refills. At work we have a water bottle refill station that is operated by proximity detection and has no spigot to be contaminated. The manufacturer took multi-user contamination into account and worked around it. Presumably something like this could be done for basic coffee refills with a staff operated middle-step container for fancier drinks.

If the FDA (or other agency/department) really gave a damn about cleanliness they wouldn't permit American restaurants to allow their restrooms to degrade into disgusting broken down hovels. Broken plumbing, busted fixtures, empty soap, towel dispensers built into overflowing trash bins, spills and stains everywhere, nobody cleaning anything, etc. You come out feeling dirtier than when you entered and whenever I try to imagine a food prep employee trying to clean up after using the facilities I want to gag. Yet despite these problems they still have a food safety score of A or B like everything is perfectly fine.
Yes, I used to base my decisions on what restaurants to dine at on the state of their restrooms. Nowadays, I don't go to restaurants because they are all now terribly noisy and proud of it because apparently noise means energy and fun.

I prefer the new spigots in gyms and a few I've seen in museums that are designed specifically for tall water bottles. They work great.

I guess many would be horrified today by the dining cars of old where there was the famous B&O salad bowl shared by guests as well as a water bottle on every table that was shared for all dining there in multiple seatings but poured by the waiter. And of course there was the thermos type water bottle in each room in sleepers (Pullmans). Seems a much better solution than throw away everything we often see today that is sealed in plastic wrapped in a plastic bag. Somehow we all did just fine before plastic.

On our last Amtrak trip I was glad to see all the beds already had the blanket tucked into it. But, when we asked for another, it did come wrapped in plastic as if that must mean its sanitary.

On our last Amtrak trip I was glad to see all the beds already had the blanket tucked into it. But, when we asked for another, it did come wrapped in plastic as if that must mean its sanitary.

It means they have been cleaned. Amtrak used to reuse the blankets without having them cleaned. I personally like getting the blanket in the plastic and knowing it’s clean.

Why is this disgusting to you?
Not at this lounge but at other locations like hotels with flavored water dispensers around, I've seen plenty of people shove their bottles right up on the spigot to refill the bottles. Even with a sign right next to the dispenser saying to not refill their bottles.

Last edited:
There are rumblings that your comprehension of environmental issues is limited to echo chamber logic and knee-jerk contrarianism.

https://qz.com/1759150/reusable-plastic-shopping-bags-are-making-the-problem-worse/
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/reusable-plastic-bags-grocery-store-effect-study
https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/recyc...worse-single-use-bags-they-were-meant-replace
https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...bon-emissions-throwaway-culture-a9054471.html

Oh I don't know, smarter people than you have rumbled about it. Sources are above, since I don't want to upset you with my "revisionist history."

Speaking of echo chamber, I'd gladly become a AU Lifetime Supporter if it came with the ability to ban one member of ones choice to enhance the "sound quality" in one's chamber. It could be good business since I know at least 3 members including myself who would jump on the opportunity.

Last edited:

Super-simple solution: Use natural-fiber bags.

Also, I don't understand folks who throw out the reusable bags anywhere near as often as the disposables. I've got a very lightweight nylon(?) bag that was given to me several years ago and has been in use 2-3 times weekly ever since. The problem is the users, not the bags--unless the bags are too ugly or impractical for regular use.

So let's ask this question and see how many truthful answers we get.

When the CL and LSL changed to enhanced dining, they supplied the meals in reusable shopping bags. How many of you used that bag for your garbage and threw it out or how many of you actually followed threw and dumped the uneaten meal along with the bag in front of the LSA as you've threatened to do?

Also chime in if you didn't and you saw other do it or if you saw the bags in the trash bin.

Just to prove I'm not making up "revisionist history," here is the bag in question.
img_0176-1.jpg

1376.AmtrakBoxedMeal_2D00_GreenBag.jpg

8371.AmtrakBoxedMeal_2D00_ServingArea.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I don't know, smarter people than you have rumbled about it. Sources are above, since I don't want to upset you with my "revisionist history."
The first three links all seem to focus on the same UK-specific "Bags for Life" initiative. I don't live in the UK, but where I do live there are two main types of reusable shopping bags. One version is very cheap and thin that is extremely prone to failure. This type looks very similar to the "Bags for Life" initiative. The other version is thicker and costs more but can last for several years and hundreds of trips before failing. This is the type I eventually gravitated toward after realizing the difference. The problem here, as I presume is the case in the UK, is that there is little or no guidance on how the bags differ and those that are promoted and/or subsidized tend to be the cheaper and flimsier versions. The fourth link talked about reusable cups being tedious to remember (true) and biodegradable cups coming with their own environmental issues (true) but kind of fell apart when she resorted to socialite downspeak telling readers to dine-in with china instead of drinking on the go (impractical for many working class folks).

Speaking of echo chamber, I'd gladly become a AU Lifetime Supporter if it came with the ability to ban one member of ones choice to enhance the "sound quality" in their chamber. It could be good business since I know at least 3 members including myself who would jump on the opportunity.
If you're rich and vain enough to throw your money around in this manner, why not simply purchase the forum from the current owners? If you did that you could ban anyone you pleased and nobody would ever be able to darken your screen with contradictory input ever again.

Last edited:
The first three links all focus on the same UK-specific "Bags for Life" initiative. I don't live in the UK, but where I do live there are two main types of reusable shopping bags. One version is very cheap and thin with that is also extremely prone to failure. This type looks very similar to the "Bags for Life" initiative. The other version is thicker and costs more but can last for several years and hundreds of trips before failing. This is the type I eventually gravitated toward after realizing the difference. The problem here, as I presume is the case in the UK, is that there is little or no guidance on how the bags differ and those that are promoted and/or subsidized tend to be the cheaper and flimsier versions. The fourth link talked about reusable cups being tedious to remember (true) and biodegradable cups coming with their own environmental issues (true) but kind of fell apart when she resorted to socialite logic telling readers to dine-in with china instead of drinking on the go (impractical for many working class folks).

If you're rich and vain enough to throw your money around in this manner, why not simply purchase the forum from the current owners? If you did that you could ban anyone you pleased and nobody would ever be able to darken your screen with contradictory input ever again.

Why buy the whole thing when getting rid of ONE with a "revisionist history" cliche problem would remove the din from ones "echo chamber"?

But would it be OK if I were to double-dip my chip? [awaiting a reply with link to the "Seinfeld" scene, please]
After watching a sick kid sneeze on the salad bar at Whole Foods, I've stopped grabbing food from the make your own salad bars. It might have been a good thing since the cost per pound is a bit high. He was just the right age/height where he had direct unobstructed aim at the items.

Last edited:
I'm a bag lady, so I don't get rid of bags. I even kept the paper bag they now use instead of the cloth ones. You never know when a bag, with a handle, will come in handy. ;)

I'm a bag lady, so I don't get rid of bags. I even kept the paper bag they now use instead of the cloth ones. You never know when a bag, with a handle, will come in handy. ;)
The ones that Amtrak was giving out look like the sturdy kind with the handle straps stitched all the way down the side of the bag. I keep couple like these in my car just in case of random stops at the store. I hate the ones which the handles only stitched to the top edge, which seem to break and tear more often.

https://qz.com/1759150/reusable-plastic-shopping-bags-are-making-the-problem-worse/
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/reusable-plastic-bags-grocery-store-effect-study
https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/recyc...worse-single-use-bags-they-were-meant-replace
https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...bon-emissions-throwaway-culture-a9054471.html

Speaking of echo chamber, I'd gladly become a AU Lifetime Supporter if it came with the ability to ban one member of ones choice to enhance the "sound quality" in one's chamber. It could be good business since I know at least 3 members including myself who would jump on the opportunity.
I opted not to take the bag since I have plenty at home.

The ones that Amtrak was giving out look like the sturdy kind with the handle straps stitched all the way down the side of the bag. I keep couple like these in my car just in case of random stops at the store. I hate the ones which the handles only stitched to the top edge, which seem to break and tear more often.
I have a bag of bags in my car. I do remember to take them into the grocery store, but tend to forget them when I go to other stores. If I'm buying something small and heading back to my car, I might forgo the plastic bag and just take the item out to my car and put it into one of my cloth bags.

Why buy the whole thing when getting rid of ONE with a "revisionist history" cliche problem would remove the din from ones "echo chamber"?
Adding a member to your block list is free. I suggest using that instead of suggesting dissenting opinions should be banned entirely if you pay enough.

During my work week, I always travel with a reusable coffee mug that I can refill at a number of popular retailers (Dunkin, Starbucks, QuickChek, 7-11, etc), often at a discount.

So, intended or unintended, as the result from your rant here, the day will come where you will no longer be able to refill your cup at Dunkin, Starbucks, QuickChek, 7-11, etc, just like at Amtrak today.

And so will no one else, but they will know that it was all due to Jersey Jeff. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back