Thanksgiving Brunch a la Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
20191128_114750.jpg

I'm on my way to New York (to head to LA for most of the next week) and this was one of the lunch offerings today:
-Turkey meatballs with gravy
-Stuffing
-Green beans and cranberry sauce

And a bourbon and coke to go with.

It isn't the old holiday dinners in the diner from a few years back, but as a brunch for today? It'll do.

Amazing they still refuse to offer Acela type meals to sleeping car passengers. That should be reason enough to see through Anderson’s charade of destroying the network trains. That food actually looks good.

You’re assuming everyone likes the meals on the Acela’s [emoji57]

(Laughing here...) I'm sorry, I think that looks awful. Meatballs with gravy? At least the bourbon and coke looks good. I've had sliced turkey as a special on the Empire Builder, and the only Thanksgiving I remember traveling was in 2001 on United Airlines LAX-Maui, where they also served sliced turkey in coach. But I think meatballs are a pretty sad substitute.

I don't usually photograph food, and the one time I did a guy at the table complained. But here it is, my sliced turkey off-the-menu special on the westbound Empire Builder in January, 2017:

IMG_6754.jpg

I would say Acela customers are satisfied with food for a 3 hour trip 70% percent of the time. Flexible dining on long distance trains customer satisfaction 15-30%, all anecdotally of course but I’d bet money on it. Let’s reverse it and put flexible dining on Acela and see how happy commuters are with it.

We’re not getting full dining back under the current regime. These meals would be a great start though in my opinion.

I don't usually photograph food, and the one time I did a guy at the table complained. But here it is, my sliced turkey off-the-menu special on the westbound Empire Builder in January, 2017:

While normally I enjoy meeting new people in the dining car, it’s amazing what some people will complain about. A lady scolded me for adding salt to my food once on Amtrak.

Thanks for the photo! Does anyone remember the turkey medallions? I think they were called? I remember getting them on the crescent before the simplified dining cuts... so a long time ago. Ha.

I have had many turkey dinners over the years on the Silvers and enjoyed every one of them. I, too, miss the turkey dinners and think the turkey dinner looks much better than the Acela turkey meatballs.

I would say Acela customers are satisfied with food for a 3 hour trip 70% percent of the time. Flexible dining on long distance trains customer satisfaction 15-30%, all anecdotally of course but I’d bet money on it. Let’s reverse it and put flexible dining on Acela and see how happy commuters are with it.

We’re not getting full dining back under the current regime. These meals would be a great start though in my opinion.

I’ve been saying it since flex dining started. Why not just use the same menu for Acela first and flex dining. I get it logistics/commissaries are different but when there’s a will there’s a way. There’s no reason they couldn’t serve that type of meal with the one LSA assisted by the SCAs.

A turkey "meatball"? Was it all turkey or was it turkey and "filling" of some sort?

Maybe we ought to be thankful that someone at Amtrak was thoughtful enough to provide something "special" in recognition of our Holiday?

I agree with those in favor of the Empire Builder turkey dinner. Would love to have that as an option during the winter months (much like many restaurants do in November-December) on the LD trains.

And we still haven't found out what the gelatinous stuff in the back of the photo is...cranberry flan?

Back