Am I on the lower level with these?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austruck

Service Attendant
I'm so swamped with work that I honestly can't find brain space to look up this information. Can anyone tell me where I'll be with these roomette numbers? If I have to lug stuff (and myself) up that winding staircase, I'd just like to know in advance. :D :D The first two are the trip south. The last is the trip back home.

Thanks for saving my brain for other things! :)

Capitol Limited: Car 3000, Room 002
Silver Star: Car 9111, Room 003
Silver Meteor: Car 9810, Room 001

In my opinion (as a frequent rider on the Silver Meteor), your room on the Silver Meteor is excellent and your room on the Silver Star is very good.

Thanks! I thought I remembered that Viewliners were one level, so that's terrific. I'll just have to struggle up those steps at 5:30 in the morning on Friday and hope for a spot for the big suitcase in the rack on the first level. :)

The solution is easy. Call the Amtrak number and ask to MODIFY your reservation to get a lower level roomette on the Capitol Ltd. Lower level roomettes are #11-14 inclusive.

The only caveat about a lower level roomette is going to the diner/FC lounge car. There's no choice but to go up the steps.

I personally can manage the steps just fine. And even with my carry-on, I'm usually fine (though I'm klutzy). I just remember one time I had to also lug up my suitcase (two trips), and that was no fun at all. :) That's what I'm trying to avoid. Might see if there is a lower-level available by phone. Otherwise, I'll just deal with it. I likely will only be half awake at 5:30 a.m. anyway. :D :D

I usually pack my “overnight” clothes (sleepwear & next day’s outfit” in a small duffle bag or backpack to take to my room and leave the big bag downstairs. Though the rack has never been full when I board, the SCA should be able to find a space for your big bag.

We've had upper level roomettes as well as lower level ones. I prefer the upper level because it's more convenient if you want coffee. Also, once hubby gets settled in, he rarely goes out of the room except for visits to the toilet and the dining car. I usually take a large pullman case with clothes and stuff I'm bringing for people we're visiting, and a carry-on bag (or two) to stow the clothes I'll need for the next day or two. Since I we don't have a staffed Amtrak station here, each time we've managed to find space for the large bag in the downstairs rack.

Thanks, everyone! I'll have my fingers crossed for room on the downstairs rack then. I don't mind taking the underseater carry-on upstairs since it'll have my tech gear and the trip's toiletries and change of clothes. Helpful information!

I completely understand your dilemma, asking for information rather than wearing out your brain searching for answers. Before a trip I just looked forward to getting on a train, settle into a roomette and just shut it down.
Have a good one.

In my case, it's that the week before a vacation is always hectic for me. Packing (it's a three-week trip this time), plus Thanksgiving (a dozen people here at our house), plus National Novel Writing Month (I'm way behind), plus all the other little things a vacation makes you deal with: mail holds, house sitting, boarding pets, cleaning out the fridge, etc.

The brain just couldn't tack on one more thing. And I know this group always has great answers!

On some other forums, if a question is asked which has been answered, the questioner gets a ration from some - "Google is your friend" - "It's been answered before", etc... Even if the answer may be 20-30 pages back!
On this highly informational and convivial forum, I've very seldom run into that kind of behavior.
Ask - Get answer - give thanks - Make a new acquaintance.
Even when I make some bonehead mistake, the corrections are made in a convivial manner.
I like it here, funny old men are tolerated.

Back