AMTRAK and Real IDs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironically our version of Real ID was recently discontinued here. It's been around for a few years, but failed to gain any real interest versus passports. It allowed driving and water admission to the US, just as the American equivalent from Washington State, Minnesota, South Dakota, Michigan, New York, or Vermont allows holders into Canada. Unfortunately it didn't help with flying and the cost brought a drivers' license close to the cost of a passport. Getting a passport here rates about a C on the PITA report card, renewing one by mail about a B and I equate a trip to our DMV on the same level as going to the dentist.

DMV Offices seem to vary greatly, even in the same States.

Here in Austin ( The Texas DMV is part of the Department of Public Safety which includes the State Highway Patrol) there are several offices , but appointments are not available and when you arrive you take a Computer Generated Number and take a Seat till your number is called.

They are using the same antiquated system with 50 year old technology, that I expierenced when I got my Drivers License as a 14 year old in 1958!!

Since it's a State Agency, the Operating Hours are rigidly enforced, ie Monday- Friday/8AM-430PM, Closed on 14 State and Federal Holidays..

No matter what day or time you visit, parking is hard to find,and the average wait is 1-2 Hours since Austin is growing by 5-6,000 People a month.

State Law gives you 6 months to obtain a State Drivers License or ID ( required to Vote which requires another Card obtained @ a different office with a similar MO)with Proof of Texas Drivers Insurance.

In my many years of Government Service, and dealing with Agencies, the DMV here takes First Place for the Worst expierence I've ever had dealing with such places including the IRS and the VA!!:rolleyes:

On the other hand, once I had my initial Passport ( issued in Washington DC in 2 Hours), I've been able to renew it via Mail by sending my old Passport and the Renewal Form along with two Photos and the Required Fee to Houston and getting it within 1-2 weeks.:cool:.

Yep, it's like they've discovered Gold or Oil, suddenly everyone wants to come to Austin!!!:(

The Greater Austin SMSA lists the Population @ 1 1/2 Million, with the Projection that it will Double by 2030 to 3 Million!

Texas and Florida are growing in population. New York has been declining in total population statewide as per the census.

When I used to live in New Mexico, everyone are talking about MVD with snail speed. You'll have to bring 2 billings/paycheck to show proof of residence, notarized birth certificate, social security card, and a filled out application. A lot of them weren't prepared for that. Plus MVD (same version of DMV) have to copy all paperwork! Waiting line is too long, even people showed up at the door 45 minutes before open.

In Idaho, it's a breeze! Well, that is in small town with line less than 15 minutes. I'll need to bring my passport to upgrade my license next year.

Texas and Florida are growing in population. New York has been declining in total population statewide as per the census.
Texas is growing but we've painted ourselves into an ideological corner. Many Texans don't want more Californians to come here, but we also refuse to change anything that might dissuade the influx. In fact we continue to promote and enshrine the benefits that bring them here in the first place. Which means more and more are on the way each and every day. I'm liberal for a Texan but conservative for a Californian and I think a bit of cross pollination might be beneficial to balance out some of the nuttier stuff.

Last edited:
But would the SS office accept a current passport instead?
If you want real circular farce, when I went to get my "Real-ID" FL DL, I needed my SS Card, and couldn't find it, which meant I had to get a replacement. So what did the Social Security office require for ID? My NON-REAL-ID FL DL that supposedly isn't any good as ID. So the FL DL that FL doesn't accept as ID without the SS Card was sufficient ID for Social Security to issue me a duplicate SS Card with which to get a REAL-ID FL DL. Maybe that will change in 2020. I also have a Passport, but the Social Security office didn't require it. Go Figure. And may the Farce be with you.

If you want real circular farce, when I went to get my "Real-ID" FL DL, I needed my SS Card, and couldn't find it, which meant I had to get a replacement. So what did the Social Security office require for ID? My NON-REAL-ID FL DL that supposedly isn't any good as ID. So the FL DL that FL doesn't accept as ID without the SS Card was sufficient ID for Social Security to issue me a duplicate SS Card with which to get a REAL-ID FL DL. Maybe that will change in 2020. I also have a Passport, but the Social Security office didn't require it. Go Figure. And may the Farce be with you.
Down the Rabbit Hole with Alice!;)

Back