AMTRAK and Real IDs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat and I will be renewing our California driver’s licenses in the next few weeks. At that time, we will also be applying for our REAL ID cards. As many of you are already aware, the federal REAL ID Act places new rules on which forms of identification may be used to board flights within the U.S., enter secure federal facilities, such as military bases, federal courthouses, etc. We believe this goes into effect in October 2020. Although someone might already have brought this up, will AMTRAK fall under the REAL ID Act and will passengers be required to produce a REAL ID when requested?

Eric & Pat

Without realID or other approved ID's you won't be able to enter Federal Facilities. Does Amtrak have any facilities or assets that might fall under "Federal Facilities" that could cause problems?

Without realID or other approved ID's you won't be able to enter Federal Facilities. Does Amtrak have any facilities or assets that might fall under "Federal Facilities" that could cause problems?
There are a wide range of "Federal Facilities" and Individual locations can still set their own requirements and exceptions. Outside of the TSA, the primary difference after October 2020 is that non-compliant state identification will no longer be recognized as a valid form of primary identification at Federal facilities. Accepting alternative forms of identification, including admittance without identification, can still be managed by the individual facility.

Last edited:
Amtrak's passenger stations are public facilties. There's certainly no top secret government worked being done there. Everything I've read about Real ID's indicate they are for domestic airline flights and secured government facilties, no mention of Amtrak at all. The whole program seems like a wild overreaction.

Amtrak's passenger stations are public facilties. There's certainly no top secret government worked being done there. Everything I've read about Real ID's indicate they are for domestic airline flights and secured government facilties, no mention of Amtrak at all. The whole program seems like a wild overreaction.
However, it is my understanding and I really hope I'm incorrect, that local social security departments would require a Real ID. That would be totally insane, so I really hope that is incorrect.

Amtrak ID standards from their website make no mention of Real ID compliance, and looking at the list, you can see why....

What is a Valid ID?
To be valid, your identification must be current and in-force. The following forms of identification are acceptable for persons 18 and older:

• One piece of photo identification issued by a government authority, or
  • Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is issued by a government authority
Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:

• State or provincial driver's license
  • Passport
  • Official government-issued identification (federal, state, city or county government or foreign government)
  • Canadian provincial health card ID card with photo
  • Military photo ID
  • Student identification (university, college or high school photo ID)
  • Job Corps photo ID

From what I understand, it is true that the Real ID goes into effect in Oct 2020 and could impact many domestic air travel plans if people do not get their ID updated.

I have not heard that it will have any impact on Amtrak as far as boarding the train to travel domestic - however, I do understand that, once the Real ID goes into operation you will be able to ride Amtrak in/out of Canada with the Real ID and not need a passport card/passport.

I have a Real ID - I do not have a passport.

People often confuse Real ID with Enhanced Drivers License. A small number of states, having a large volume of cross border traffic, are authorized to issue a license (only to a US citizen) that is embedded with info that can be read at a border crossing. My NY issued EDL is Real ID compliant since the documentation required to obtain it meets the statute. It has a flag instead of a star. Airline passenger lists are (supposedly) analyzed against no fly and enhanced screening lists, so it is more important that the ID itself is more likely to be the actual person presenting it Or so the story goes....

Pat and I will be renewing our California driver’s licenses in the next few weeks. At that time, we will also be applying for our REAL ID cards. As many of you are already aware, the federal REAL ID Act places new rules on which forms of identification may be used to board flights within the U.S., enter secure federal facilities, such as military bases, federal courthouses, etc. We believe this goes into effect in October 2020. Although someone might already have brought this up, will AMTRAK fall under the REAL ID Act and will passengers be required to produce a REAL ID when requested?

Eric & Pat

The implementation of RealID was done poorly. I have a passport which is RealID compliant. I refuse to give the state DMV additional documents as a passport alone qualifies me for RealID which I have. I don’t mind a citizenship check for ID but the process is tedious and overreaching as all the information is already on file and can be determined beforehand by security agencies. I will never get a RealID drivers license which requires added documents and a long wait time.

Amtrak could decide to implement RealID but I haven’t explicitly seen this required. The State DMV scares people into getting a RealID even if they have one already.

Passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license are all RealID as well as Global Entry, TSA Pre and trusted traveler programs and other forms of ID as listed as RealID compliant.

The State DMV is the most tedious way of getting one although the Enhanced Drivers License is the most convenient as it has a passport card and a state drivers license in one card.

Last edited:
I guess I am unique here in that I don't fly. So, having a Real ID is of little-to-no use to me.

I have a passport, and if I need to do something that requires me to show-my-papers (as I was taught, when young, is always required in evil totalitarian communist countries), I will simple use it.

I will never get a RealID drivers license which requires added documents and a long wait time.
I believe all or nearly all states are using compliant licenses at this point. So will you cease driving when your current license expires, or are you going to continue driving without documentation? My compliant license took no extra time and required no additional documentation.

I believe all or nearly all states are using compliant licenses at this point. So will you cease driving when your current license expires, or are you going to continue driving without documentation? My compliant license took no extra time and required no additional documentation.

License says not for federal purposes. They require added documentation to convert to a RealID which I am not doing. They will not force us to get compliant licenses. RealID is NOT nor ever will be required for driving inside the USA. All states require added documentation for RealID unless the same added level of documentation was given such as for enhanced drivers license.

License says not for federal purposes. They require added documentation to convert to a RealID which I am not doing. They will not force us to get compliant licenses. RealID is NOT nor ever will be required for driving inside the USA. All states require added documentation for RealID unless the same added level of documentation was given such as for enhanced drivers license.

For a RealID, Calif requires that you show a birth cerificate or passport and two other documents with your name and address. I think I showed my passport, an insurance statement and a credit card bill. Took no longer than a regular license and no appointment required -- just walked in. Was out in 45 minutes (including another eye test and written exam) and RealID arrived in mail in 7 days. I'm ready should Amtrak ever require it.

Amtrak on board staff has never asked me for any ID at all in 20 years of riding. so I doubt they're going to have a strict policy by next year. I did need ID to change my reservation at a ticket counter.

I also needed to leave my license at the desk to use the shower at CUS's Metro Lounge, but I doubt they cared if it was a US driver's license or Real ID or whatever. I think they just wanted to get the key to the shower back. That's the only time I've needed an ID for Amtrak (that I can remember.) Since turning 65, my ticket has always said I'll need to show an ID to confirm my senior discount, but they've never asked for one.

The implementation of RealID was done poorly. I have a passport which is RealID compliant. I refuse to give the state DMV additional documents as a passport alone qualifies me for RealID which I have. I don’t mind a citizenship check for ID but the process is tedious and overreaching as all the information is already on file and can be determined beforehand by security agencies. I will never get a RealID drivers license which requires added documents and a long wait time.

Amtrak could decide to implement RealID but I haven’t explicitly seen this required. The State DMV scares people into getting a RealID even if they have one already.

Passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license are all RealID as well as Global Entry, TSA Pre and trusted traveler programs and other forms of ID as listed as RealID compliant.

The State DMV is the most tedious way of getting one although the Enhanced Drivers License is the most convenient as it has a passport card and a state drivers license in one card.
Honestly, if the Feds were so **** serious about this I don't see why they didn't whack the cost to get a passport into the floor (perhaps based on some sort of income/means test), eat any "losses" as the cost of doing business, and just dispense with the whole shitshow of getting all 50 states "on board"...

(Then again, I'm a little surprised that there wasn't a lawsuit to that effect, if only for Hawaii due to its unusual circumstances.)

Back