Buying 2 roomettes for the same trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms garrison

Train Attendant
Last year my spouse and I took the CL from Chicago to DC. We are past the climbing up the ladder in the roomette stage, so bought 2 roomettes across from each other and saved a nice bit of money. Now, trying to do that again, same train, next year in June. But when I look at days on Amtrak website, I keep seeing for roomettes "only 1 room available at this price".

Is that Amtrak's ploy to keep folks from doing what we did ? Or are there other roomettes available for more money? Could I buy each roomette separately in each of our names, for the lowest price and ask for rooms across from each other? BTW, we don't have to be across from each other. We'll be spending most of our time in the lounge car anyway.

It is likely that there is one roomette in the current bucket, however, it may be the last roomette. If you want roomettes across from each other, you will have to phone Amtrak. It is possible that if you choose to book 2 roomettes on the same reservation, both will be in the higher bucket. I think I would buy one roomette first at the lower price and then try to get one across (which may or may not be available).

It is possible that if you choose to book 2 roomettes on the same reservation, both will be in the higher bucket. I think I would buy one roomette first at the lower price and then try to get one across (which may or may not be available).

When I did this (some years ago), I phoned Amtrak because I wanted both roomettes on the same reservation. Because I spoke with an agent, I was able to get the first roomette at the lower bucket and only needed to pay higher bucket for the second roomette. It took, if I remember correctly, three iterations because the agent was having difficulty. I encourage polite persistence. Also, just because I did it a few years back does not mean that an agent will do it now. Policies might have changed, either formally or informally.

If you do this, you probably want to ask to have the roomettes marked as non-relocatable or some similar term. One time when I did this, I boarded the train only to find that the car attendant had moved one room's occupant to a different room.

Could I buy each roomette separately in each of our names, for the lowest price and ask for rooms across from each other?
If you buy both rooms with one purchase the website will probably charge you the next higher bucket for both rooms. This is either a bug or a feature depending on your perspective. If you buy one at a time you should get the lowest price for both rooms. If you want them on opposite sides of the train you'll need to call anyway so might as well purchase over the phone.

I encourage polite persistence.
Well said. I try to maintain a neutral attitude toward call center staff, but sometimes I have to bite my tongue when they refuse to cooperate or get snippy over something minor.

I have done the two-roomette thing for years - often far cheaper than a BR. As others have mentioned, you just happened to hit "the last room at the price" which means a second room will cost more. My suggestion is DO NOT BUY THE TWO-ROOMETTE thing online. You can't pick your rooms so you have to call anyway and may end up fighting with an untrained agent who wants to charge you a higher price to change. Much easier to buy the rooms from an agent letting them know up front you want rooms across.

Over the past years I have several times bought two roomettes. First, I check to see how many rooms are available by entering 8 rooms and 8 people. If this prices out, I know there are 8 or more rooms. I check AmSnag for best rates over say a 10 day period. If there is plenty of inventory, I may reserve on line, but if there is any question, I use the 1-800 number to make the reservations. Many times when Amtrak says 1 room remaining at this price, if you buy two, on line you will buy two at the higher price, so best with this notice to make reservations by phone.

Back