Share a Coke with...Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coke or Pepsi

• Coke

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • Pepsi

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
This is an interesting observation with regional variations. For example, in Canada A&W is still owned by A&W restaurants - not Dr. Pepper as in the US, and it has always been bottled for them by Coca-Cola. Hires was until recently bottled by Pepsi for Keurig Dr. Pepper, but they sold it to Canada Dry, which in turn is bottled by - you guessed it - Coke.
Now my curiosity is piqued. I need to buy some A&W and see if it tastes like what my memory recalls about Hires.

Very few sodas in the US are the same as they used to be,or the same as they are in other parts of the world for that matter. US soda bottlers usually substitute HFCS for most cane sugar in their formulations. The debate about the effect that has and the political and economic rationale for US sugar and corn policy are (or should be) out of this forum.

I discovered that on the Lake Shore Limited and Crescent last week! Pure Leaf is my favorite!

I would expect Lipton to go (the Lipton iced tea bottles are made by Pepsi) and be replaced by Gold Peak which is Coke’s product.

Additionally Tropicana will probably go to MinuteMade, Gatorade will go to Powerade, and Aquafina water and Lacroix Seltzer probably will go to Dasani which is both Cokes regular water and their Seltzer product.

Additionally, word on the street is that they are swapping wine distributors as part of this change.

Last edited:
Additionally, word on the street is that they are swapping wine distributors as part of this change.

Surely not good news from my experience with the ships of Holland America Lines! The distributor for wines were changed and my long time favorite offered New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc was no longer available. It's substitute was palatable, but surprise not, at a higher price per bottle or per glass.

I would expect Lipton to go (the Lipton iced tea bottles are made by Pepsi) and be replaced by Gold Peak which is Coke’s product.

Additionally Tropicana will probably go to MinuteMade, Gatorade will go to Powerade, and Aquafina water and Lacroix Seltzer probably will go to Dasani which is both Cokes regular water and their Seltzer product.

There's an earlier post from the past couple of days from someone in the know which highlights these exact changes. One of the new wines is Barefoot.

Speaking personally:
-The Gatorade/Powerade swap would be a negative if they had anything but the lime-flavored stuff most of the time.
-I'm not sorry to see LaCroix go away.
-Lipton/Gold Peak will probably come down to the flavor(s) offered. If they have anything that is non-lemon sweet tea I'll be an infinitely happier camper on that front. Force choke...er...lemon flavored tea is not something that works for me.

When I drank soda, I liked Coke products. Now I just drink water, seltzer water (Spindthrift is my choice), or unsweet iced and hot teas. I don't like Gold Peak since it's not strong enough. Oh well.

The whole contemporary dining menu is very unhealthy. Its loaded with fats, sugar and chemical additives. It is so bad that last trip we brought our own food aboard.

This is the underlying problem with the so-called "contemporary dining" menu, which might have been considered "contemporary" in 1955 when plastics were considered cool. It's really not about table service or on-board cooking, it's about the incredibly unhealthy food selection which is actually inedible for many people with dietary restrictions. They could do better, cheaply.

I'm also hauling my own food. It's very inconvenient for breakfast. It's one thing on the first leg of a trip, but on the last leg where I have to rush out to stock food at Chicago between trains, it is super obnoxious.

I didn't read the entire thread, so apologize if this has been covered. I don't like Pepsi, so I'm glad to hear about the switch. I'm wary of the "new dining," it sounds unhealthy and yucky. What I've always done when riding in a sleeper is bring an eBags Crew Cooler. I pack several Diet Dr. Peppers and some snacks, but never needed the snacks with the "old" dining car options. I highly recommend the Crew Cooler but only the larger one as the small one doesn't hold enough. The Crew Cooler comes in a number of colors, mine is "Blue Yonder." I also have the small one but hardly ever use it.

Anything would seem an improvement over the Chateau du Plonque'
July 2019 they served on my last trip, according to my daughter. I don't drink the stuff - preferring my Jaques Daniel - but she said it
was pretty bad.
At least they're not serving Franzia out of a box just yet...

Back