Southwest Chief: Chicago to Los Angeles - October 2017

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sarah,

Glad to see your trip report - brought back memories of the many trips we have taken on the SW Chief (our son used to live in Albuquerque). I enjoyed both the pictures and the narrative. The pictures of LA Union Station were really nice.

Interestingly, I wasn't logged in when I first read your report and when I did log in and read the report again, the pictures were now larger - do guests get smaller pictures?

Nice to see you posting again.

Tony

I just did a test of logging out of this board, then logging back in, and wow you are right about that! Never realized that before till now, that if you're logged in the picture size is much bigger vs. if you're logged out.

I finally did catch up partially in reading your posts, SarahZ, so at least I got to the point of you telling how your trip went after you finished riding train #3 to LA. Can't wait to read more of your posts about this trip, later! And interesting you did eat In 'n Out in LA, since I couldn't help but want to eat In 'n Out again, when I did a Las Vegas trip back in February 2019 myself. :) Too bad that LA location you hit allegedly wasn't as good, since whatever location we hit in Vegas(near The Cromwell, Harrah's, Linq, Caesar's Palace(across the street I'll note over I believe in Linq), etc) luckily was as good as I remembered. You never know with chains though, sometimes you will run into a random location where for whatever reason(probably employees not being as good at one random location? I don't know) the food isn't as good, but that at different locations the food is oddly better. And of course, always that limited shot you run into a different location somewhere else, where ___ chain may not be as good.

Weirdly for me I went through a several year period of when I refused to eat at Panda Express, since I had bad experiences at more than one location. Maybe at this one shopping center location Panda isn't as bad, since I was surprised by the food there after eating a little of my mom's food, after I got food somewhere else(Jersey Mike's). If my next few Panda food experiences keep up in being as good, maybe they'll finally be on the path to getting off my s*** chains list, fingers crossed!

BTW besides the Raton Pass pics, I enjoyed your pics of the Cajon Pass. I have no idea whenever I ride the SWC to LA someday, if I'll get lucky enough for my train to be late enough, and myself being able to see the Cajon Pass in daylight. And also true with certain smoke stops(i.e. the one at San Bernadino), that you never know if they'll be oddly shortened all of a sudden, or if they will last unusually long(i.e. what I noticed in Shelby, MT, where I had the impression myself it'd be a short stop in both directions, but oddly turned out to be longer due to the engineer having to do something in regards to Positive Train Control that delayed our departure both ways).

Last edited:
This is an exceptional trip report, and brings back fond memories for me on my Southwest Chief trip last summer, which followed three previous sojourns. I love that route and I really do love LA. Whenever I think of Los Angeles, Randy Newman's song pops into my head, not to mention The Naked Gun movie! I also got a chuckle our of your comments about In 'n Out Burger. I am not a regular fast food consumer but when I am in the area, I make a point to visit one. Your excellent descriptive writing does as good a job envisioning your adventure as your photos. Thank you.

This is an exceptional trip report, and brings back fond memories for me on my Southwest Chief trip last summer, which followed three previous sojourns. I love that route and I really do love LA. Whenever I think of Los Angeles, Randy Newman's song pops into my head, not to mention The Naked Gun movie! I also got a chuckle our of your comments about In 'n Out Burger. I am not a regular fast food consumer but when I am in the area, I make a point to visit one. Your excellent descriptive writing does as good a job envisioning your adventure as your photos. Thank you.
Thank you! That's a really nice compliment.

Great report! Thanks for this, I'm taking the Chief next summer to Flagstaff as part of my bucket list Grand Canyon trip. Now I'll know what to look for...and I'm prepared to arrive very late. LOL

I'm also possibly going to Santa Barbara next autumn on an unrelated trip!

Great report! Thanks!

"The path isn't marked, and you have to walk out a door, across a courtyard, through an unmarked door, down two flights of stairs, over the river, and through the woods."
[emoji23]

Back