Winter 2019-2020 Vermonter cancellations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vermonter is canceled north of Springfield Union Station (Massachusetts) 11/12/2019 and south 11/13/2019. It appears the trigger happy cancellation policy of the current Amtrak leadership isn’t limited to long distance routes. This is not expected to be an epic storm by any means. I guess we should expect lots of Vermonter cancellations this winter. But maybe this is a necessary evil of Amtrak making a “profit.”

Last edited:
Vermonter is canceled north of Springfield Union Station (Massachusetts) 11/12/2019 and south 11/13/2019. It appears the trigger happy cancellation policy of the current Amtrak leadership isn’t limited to long distance routes. This is not expected to be an epic storm by any means. I guess we should expect lots of Vermonter cancellations this winter. But maybe this is a necessary evil of Amtrak making a “profit.”

Really, Amtrak is cancelling running this train over the next day or 2 because of the upcoming snowstorm? That is bizarre, considering the forecast I saw for northern Vermont on TV didn't look as bad, as some of the worser snowstorms that area has sometimes gotten in winter!

I guess myself, I'd like to see a comparison of other past snowstorms, where they opted to cancel so that I could judge this better. I really hope Amtrak isn't way overreacting here and cancelling this train, but I worry for all I know that could be a case of this?

Really, Amtrak is cancelling running this train over the next day or 2 because of the upcoming snowstorm? That is bizarre, considering the forecast I saw for northern Vermont on TV didn't look as bad, as some of the worser snowstorms that area has sometimes gotten in winter!

I guess myself, I'd like to see a comparison of other past snowstorms, where they opted to cancel so that I could judge this better. I really hope Amtrak isn't way overreacting here and cancelling this train, but I worry for all I know that could be a case of this?

it might not be Amtrak's call, but rather the railroad on whose tracks Amtrak is running this train. Does that railroad have a website for announcing service disruptions?

it might not be Amtrak's call, but rather the railroad on whose tracks Amtrak is running this train. Does that railroad have a website for announcing service disruptions?

The host railroads are Pan Am Railways and New England Central Railroad north of Springfield. Both are smaller class II railroads. I suppose it is possible it is a NECR or Pan Am call but have they done so in previous years?

Yes, there is a page on their site announcing service alerts. And also in worse case scenarios, it also will mention those rare times they have had to announce a service disruption to an Amtrak route: https://www.amtrak.com/alert.html

Also why is it when just now I looked at the Alerts page on Amtrak's site, and NOTHING was announced at all in regards to them cancelling the Vermonter?

The prior two respondees misinterpreted my question. Yes, I know that AMTRAK has a service alert website. But my question was whether the Host Railroad(s) has/have a website where it/they announce service disruptions on their railroad(s)? If the Host Railroad shuts down the line (due to weather past, present, or future), there is nothing that AMTRAK can do to keep their trains running on that railroad, at least in the short term.

Back