How does Amtrak keep their fleet graffiti free?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Additionally, I don't think the freights tend to be as set on keeping the cars cleaned up...especially given that many of the cars aren't even theirs (and why would CSXT care if a TTX car gets marked up, so long as the reporting code is visible?).
This is *extremely* true. I've seen freight cars (gondolas, hoppers, and tank cars) which have multiple layers of tags and graffiti... and on the very top layer, they've painted a white box with the reporting code in black on it. They didn't even bother to repaint the rest of the car. So there you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw 352 chi to nbu yesterday had graffiti on one car...in my 15+ years of taking antrak weekly out of Chicago I have never seen this!!
How does Amtrak keep their fleet graffiti free?

Unlike the freight trains, I almost never have seen graffiti on the outside of any Amtrak train.

Is this because there are passengers on board, and the people doing the graffiti might get witnessed by the passengers?

But what about when Amtrak stores their equipment in the yards overnite between runs?

All superliners, viewliners, heritage and amfleets are coated with a spray coating manufactured by Dupont called Amflon. Very similair to Teflon as used in a frying pan. Any foreign substance will not adhere and will be washed off during the next rainstorm. I tried to stick gum to a superliner exterior and it would not stick.
Very interesting. I didn't know that. [And I hate graffiti, by the way.]

Yet when a business wakes up and finds a "Banksy" on the wall of their property rather than wash it off most will get it a protective screen put up to protect it so people can come and admire the work? Some people have even been known to cut a hole in their wall out so they can sell the work.

Hardly seems like his work is unwanted and classed as vandalism
When the wall is now worth millions yes, but other than Banksy the ones done by other copycats are nothing but a financial liability of the building owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back