Ford's Plans for Michigan Central Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Since interest in possible streetcar expansion has increased as a result of Ford’s plans for MCS, here’s an anonymously created, undated fantasy map of a built out Detroit streetcar and light rail system on Google’s My Maps product. Use the left sidebar to view construction phases and stations:https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1hqiP93fZMiIkHDgfn0yWWbLVuzU&usp=sharing
Doesn't seem like the link works.
default_wacko.png
Interestingly, I'm doing the exact same thing in My Maps for a Brooklyn streetcars system.

Since interest in possible streetcar expansion has increased as a result of Fords plans for MCS, heres an anonymously created, undated fantasy map of a built out Detroit streetcar and light rail system on Googles My Maps product. Use the left sidebar to view construction phases and stations:https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1hqiP93fZMiIkHDgfn0yWWbLVuzU&usp=sharing
default_wacko.png
Interestingly, I'm doing the exact same thing in My Maps for a Brooklyn streetcars system.
It works for me via the Google Maps app.

Since interest in possible streetcar expansion has increased as a result of Fords plans for MCS, heres an anonymously created, undated fantasy map of a built out Detroit streetcar and light rail system on Googles My Maps product. Use the left sidebar to view construction phases and stations:https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1hqiP93fZMiIkHDgfn0yWWbLVuzU&usp=sharing
default_wacko.png
It works for me via the Google Maps app.
Hmmmmm. Not working on my mac through Safari or Chrome.

I can view it in Safari.

I'm a little surprised they don't have a line along 96 through Livonia. That's a heavily populated area. It would be even better if they extended it to Ypsi and/or Ann Arbor and incorporated DTW somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can view it in Safari.

I'm a little surprised they don't have a line along 96 through Livonia. That's a heavily populated area. It would be even better if they extended it to Ypsi and/or Ann Arbor and incorporated DTW somehow.
Yeah, there’s a noticeable gap in the 96 corridor. The creator extended the M Line (blue-gray) to terminate at DTW—you can view individual construction phases, the overall map of lines, and stations by toggling the layers using the left sidebar.

I love the map, but my main gripe with it is the number of stations (130) in the full system. No way could a light rail/streetcar system be effective with stops so closely spaced.

I can view it in Safari.

Yeah, there’s a noticeable gap in the 96 corridor. The creator extended the M Line (blue-gray) to terminate at DTW—you can view individual construction phases, the overall map of lines, and stations by toggling the layers using the left sidebar.

I love the map, but my main gripe with it is the number of stations (130) in the full system. No way could a light rail/streetcar system be effective with stops so closely spaced.
Today I walked part of my (hypothetical) trolley route pretty much for the first time, and it seems as good in person as it does online!

Today was the first day of the formerly-weekend-long* Open House. The line was so insane that one Reddit user (lostinLAdrone) took it upon himself to fly his drone instead. It resulted in one of the most beautiful shots I've seen:

https://imgur.com/a/FbB8rFs

I looked at that image that one Redditor posted on Imgur, and I was wondering did some private group park several private railcars and also a steam engine on one of those side tracks behind Michigan Central Station? It looked like that, when I enlarged that picture to get a better look at his/her picture.

Good luck to Ford, I hope they can pull off that renovation! In Chicago after years of decay, the Old Main Post Office(which was built over where the expressway I-290 runs) was finally restored, and now is being turned into a bunch of various offices for corporations, tech companies, etc. I'm glad it looks like Ford is trying to do the same thing, with Michigan Central Station and their planned interior renovations over the next few years. ETA since the architecture event Open House Chicago(ran by Chicago Architectural Foundation) has had the Old Main Post Office as a site for 2 years now(1st year it was only open to CAF members, and that year I visited there, this year this site was open to ANYONE, including non-CAF members, to visit), here are some pics from the OHC site that show off the renovated interior of that place: https://openhousechicago.org/sites/site/chicago-post-office/

Last edited:
It's also a lie.
On the original post, the photographer mentioned they added it for fun. They never tried to pass it off as genuine.

I simply forgot to include the secondary caption. It’s my fault, not the photographer’s.

Back