DART Cotton Belt from DFW to Plano

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
Far North Dallas residents feel railroaded by DART Cotton Belt project

http://www.fox4news.com/news/far-north-dallas-residents-feel-railroaded-by-dart-cotton-belt-project

A Dallas City Council resolution passed in March 2018 states that the city would only support the Cotton Belt line if a continuous 15-foot high, sound-absorbing wall would be built along all the homes on both sides of the rail line. It’s unclear if DART is legally bound to that resolution or not.

“In approaching 200 residents, we found only five had awareness of the meetings,” he said.

A DART spokesman said on Tuesday that they are now planning additional meetings that will begin June 11.

“All of a sudden, people are really interested in knowing exactly what's going on,” said Gordon Shattles with DART.

And more people will be invited to the June meetings will determine what if any wall residents will get along certain sections of the rail.

A wall to keep Texans out? When I lived in NM, we'd have paid big bucks for a wall to keep them out. And it would work. Since thee are no real mountains in Texas, they don't know how to climb. :)

I used to tell people when I was in the service in NM that I was defending the United States from the barbarians to the east!

Well we missed posting the announcement here, but the Silver Line broke ground in September with completion in 2022. This line has demonstrated some consternation among transit advocates in the region because of the relatively low forecast ridership. They are saying DART should focus on downtown Dallas and the second D2 line through there. I can see both arguments but I do really want this line to be complete. DART has 13 member cities and Addison will be one of the last to finally be connected by rail. Plus this line will make several more transit hubs; Plano, Addison, Downtown Carrollton, and DFW Airport.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/DART-Silver-Line-Construction-Ground-Breaking-560816561.html

Hopefully the town and county governments on the Cotton Belt Line will craft policies to encourage development/density along the line. With a new transit service enabling faster trips between the CBL and the rest of the DART region, those relatively low-population centers will be poised for growth after the 2022 opening.

Back