Delta Airlines - Are They REALLY Better?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For most people the position of flight attendant is a side trip or stepping stone on the way to something else.
I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl".
But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.

Last edited by a moderator:
For most people the position of flight attendant is a side trip or stepping stone on the way to something else.
I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl".
But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.
I think that what he said is actually more true than it ever was. 60 years ago, air travel was glamorous and comfortable, and the onboard staff were crucial to that. Now I would say that most flight attendants are really there to just bring people snacks and deal with unruly passengers.

Actually then, and now....the primary job of a flight attendant is passenger safety. They spend a lot more time in their flight academy, training on emergency procedure's, than anything else...

They have to be FAA certified to attain and hold their position, and unlike railroad train attendant's, they are governed by "hours of service" regulation's.

I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl". But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.
I think that what he said is actually more true than it ever was. 60 years ago, air travel was glamorous and comfortable, and the onboard staff were crucial to that. Now I would say that most flight attendants are really there to just bring people snacks and deal with unruly passengers.
Where's the original post he partially quoted? It wasn't partisan or political. It didn't break any definable rules. The way this forum has quietly devolved into opaque shadow moderating to enforce arbitrary restrictions and revisionist history is really disconcerting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt if that is quite as true as it once was. Sure, back in the days of "coffee, tea, or me?", airline ad copy to the effect of "I'm Suzy, want to fly me?", and when one sported an engagement ring or didn't "make weight", it was "gone girl". But the position of Flight Attendant has "evolved" over the years from a "post college, pre-life 'gig'" to a career. Now that "the survivor Big Three" all have intercontinental routes, that means that one can work two full days a week and get their flying hours done. Somehow, that is a "pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow", with a Union to protect you, working with other congenial people (I'd last ten minutes at the job), and knowing that seniority "will get you there", FA is hardly a dead end job.
Where's the original post he partially quoted? It wasn't partisan or political. It didn't break any definable rules. The way this forum has quietly devolved into opaque shadow moderating to enforce arbitrary restrictions and revisionist history is really disconcerting.
The original post removed due to being sexist and in violation of the site rules requiring posting, "in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner."

I disagree. Delta has the oldest average fleet age I believe. Delta was doing better in the past and made some improvements when Richard Anderson was CEO so it had high performance on some key metrics. They have fallen since then as Ed Bastien took over. United Airlines has made the most improvement out of all the airlines although American Airlines has made some improvements as well. Southwest uses some lower tier airports and has single class non reserved seating and doesn’t compare to Delta, AA or United in terms of how many places it flies. It also doesn’t have an airline alliance. It can be cheaper as more things can be included in fare. I personally would prefer not to fly on Southwest when other competitors exist.

I take a route like LGA to ORD where Delta, AA and United compete directly on along with Spirit which I would never use. There are so many factors why one would choose one airline over another. With Delta, AA and United, one can choose fare, seat comfort, lounges, flight schedule, flight time, availability, equipment type, importance of making connections, and a whole host of other variables which are available. Some people have no choice such as business travelers where the company chooses the airline. If I flew on United, Delta and AA on this route wt different times, I don’t believe I could pick a winner as each one will be better in different circumstances. Different customer service reps will vary at each airline and with different people at same airline and is also status dependent.

I have seen much comment at rail sites (not everyone is THAT dyed in the wool) that Delta Airlines is the superior carrier amongst the "Big Four" (AA, DL, UA, WN).

I've flown 'em but darned if I remember when. With so little flying I do nowadays (YTD 2 flights; 2 more booked) and that they don't "hub" at ORD, they are simply "out of mind". United goes anywhere I have occasion to go, so why bother with any others, especially since I know my way around their Terminal 1 at ORD - and not too much anywhere else.

But enough here rave about Delta and United has had so many "PR" issues of late - especially involving "God's precious creature - dogs", I have to ask "what's so good about Delta"?

Really, for the past four years I have flown to Munich during August. I've always gone Nonstop on United in Business. So if there some reason for a trip this year, I should "put up with change at Atlanta" to have a better in-flight experience?

Just curious.

Back