CZ - CS snow trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I was planning a trip on the Card, CHI to WAS in early Feb. mainly to see lot of snow. I have now changed my mind. I am taking CZ - CS to Seattle in early Feb. Hoping to see lots of snow! I will fly back to LRK or vice versa for times sake. Thinking of getting off in PDX (earlier) and staying @ the old Red Lion Inn(?) but not sure because off all the hoopla & goings on in PDX now. Also straight shot to airport. Is Seattle any better than Portland for safety sake, airport proximity, and nearby hotels. How is public trans. in Seattle? Will there be lots of snow in Rockies and Sierra Nev. This plan is not set in stone yet, I can be persuaded(easily[emoji1]) As always thanks in advance for all the great responses.

Hi all, I was planning a trip on the Card, CHI to WAS in early Feb. mainly to see lot of snow. I have now changed my mind. I am taking CZ - CS to Seattle in early Feb. Hoping to see lots of snow! I will fly back to LRK or vice versa for times sake. Thinking of getting off in PDX (earlier) and staying @ the old Red Lion Inn(?) but not sure because off all the hoopla & goings on in PDX now. Also straight shot to airport. Is Seattle any better than Portland for safety sake, airport proximity, and nearby hotels. How is public trans. in Seattle? Will there be lots of snow in Rockies and Sierra Nev. This plan is not set in stone yet, I can be persuaded(easily[emoji1]) As always thanks in advance for all the great responses.
missing the convenience
FTW stop(s)vs LRK now

Not a drop of snow yet in the Sierra Nevada, but there is always some by February.

OTOH, Colorado Rockies have already had quite a bit of snow -- 48 inches in Breckenridge in October set a new record for that ski resort. They open for the season on 8 Nov.

CZ, yes, you will see snow. The best, however, was the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago. I did a CZ-CS-EB trip around the time of the Super Bowl one year. May do it again in the future.

You might consider stopping in Glenwood Springs.
upload_2019-11-4_17-30-49.jpeg
I stayed here Christmas 2014. Got off the train, walked across the street into the lobby of this excellent 100 yr old motel.
upload_2019-11-4_17-32-59.jpeg
Get one of the "Colorado" rooms facing the station, Colorado River and the Hot Springs Resort across the river.
Glenwood Springs also has a great bus system for getting around town and up to Aspen. Spent a couple nights here then got back on train continuing west to EMY.

Last edited:
Ive done Chi-Emy in early March and was spectacular with the snow. Pictures out the back window in sleeper coming out of tunnels turned out great. I think Seattle has a fine public transportation system. Was there in late August. Have been to Seattle several times and no safety issues downtown. Homeless folks are present as in every town.

Ive done Chi-Emy in early March and was spectacular with the snow. Pictures out the back window in sleeper coming out of tunnels turned out great. I think Seattle has a fine public transportation system. Was there in late August. Have been to Seattle several times and no safety issues downtown. Homeless folks are present as in every town.

Agree.
The climb out of Denver after a fresh snowfall is one of the most beautiful views from an Amtrak train. The snow on the red rocks approaching G.S is just gorgeous.

I am hoping to see snow in early-mid December on the CZ to SAC, CS to SEA and Empire Builder from SEA to CHI.

No precipitation in the central California forecast through at least 19 Nov. Too soon to say what the situation in California will be in December.

It was bone dry when I crossed Donner Pass today aboard #5.

Back