Planning Canadian Trip for March 2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preliminary inquiries show my itinerary, which was to include a ship to Alaska from a west coast port, plus railfanning in Alaska, plus return to Vancouver, is going to break the bank.

So now, I'm thinking of ending my westbound train travel in Vancouver, revisiting Vancouver for awhile, and seeking a backpacking opportunity not too awfully far from Vancouver. Preferably four days/three nights on a circuit, likely involving a shuttle or rental car to get to/from trailheads. I will ask the same questions on hiker-related sites/FB groups I participate with, but if by chance anyone here has suggestions I'm all ears, er, eyes.

At the conclusion, I'd return to Vancouver to catch the next day's #2 back to Toronto.
Have you priced out the Canadian yet? Summer rates would break my bank.

Have you priced out the Canadian yet? Summer rates would break my bank.

Yes, it almost breaks mine. For me solo in cabin for 2, room "F," with exchange rate last Tuesday, $5,788.82. Ouch, but not as bad as an additional $7,500+ to include the ship both ways plus land costs on the proposed Alaskan extension. Even more for Alaskan railfanning. I'd be replacing that with a couple extra hotel nights in Vancouver, plus almost-free backcountry days/nights in a tent.

Yes, it almost breaks mine. For me solo in cabin for 2, room "F," with exchange rate last Tuesday, $5,788.82. Ouch, but not as bad as an additional $7,500+ to include the ship both ways plus land costs on the proposed Alaskan extension. Even more for Alaskan railfanning. I'd be replacing that with a couple extra hotel nights in Vancouver, plus almost-free backcountry days/nights in a tent.

We are taking the Canadian 1 next may 31 from Toronto to Vancouver in a cabin for 2 and our fare is 4262 in Canadian dollars. The fares do go up considerably after May 31.

Yeah...this is, I'll admit, no small part of why I just take it each winter and call it a day.

Edit: I *might* splurge in a year or so and do the summer on points.

We are taking the Canadian 1 next may 31 from Toronto to Vancouver in a cabin for 2 and our fare is 4262 in Canadian dollars. The fares do go up considerably after May 31.

Wow! That's quite a difference. I can't do this prior to summer 2020, but I could perhaps do it after summer 2020. Does VIA have a date certain when the rates go back down? I would search for such a date and see where we are.

Caveat: For tentative backpacking plans, I wonder how the weather would be say within 150 miles of Vancouver in September or early October? I can handle moderate cold and precip, not enthused about camping sub-freezing.

Wow! That's quite a difference. I can't do this prior to summer 2020, but I could perhaps do it after summer 2020. Does VIA have a date certain when the rates go back down? I would search for such a date and see where we are.

Caveat: For tentative backpacking plans, I wonder how the weather would be say within 150 miles of Vancouver in September or early October? I can handle moderate cold and precip, not enthused about camping sub-freezing.

If this year is anything to go by prices fall in November.

https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/lecanadien/price_list_en_2019.pdf?ga_pdf=compare-prices

I just looked again. If the pricing I was quoted by phone is accurate, there seems to be a significant increase planned for 2020 vs. 2019. (I priced August 2020, summer rates.)

Bear in mind that prices on that chart are per person and are based on two people travelling. Taxes also need to be added.

When i was looking to book our trip for next March a cabin for 2 was pricing up at C$3576 (discounted fare) exc taxes from Vancouver to Toronto for two passengers travelling. From that 2019 chart it was C$3570 (C$1785 x 2) so hardly any difference. In the end we got the same journey at C$2145 exc taxes in the Canadian Black Friday sale a few weeks back.

For a trip in Summer 2020 (August) the VIA website is quoting C$4462 (exc taxes) for two persons travelling in a cabin for 2 which is around 5% more than the 2019 pricing of C$4250 (2125 x 2).

I would hope what VIA quoted you by phone for travelling alone in a cabin for 2 in August was no more than C$3514 (all taxes included)

It was $7,564.22 CDN, which that day translated to $5,877.82 USD. (That's round trip, which I mentioned in an earlier post.)

I will call back to investigate this week.

It was $7,564.22 CDN, which that day translated to $5,877.82 USD. (That's round trip, which I mentioned in an earlier post.)

I will call back to investigate this week.

Yes that's the same as VIA website is quoting for round trip starting in Toronto.

However if you were to make two separate one way bookings you could save C$268 (approx US$200) due to the taxes being higher for journeys originating from Toronto.

Yes that's the same as VIA website is quoting for round trip starting in Toronto.

However if you were to make two separate one way bookings you could save C$268 (approx US$200) due to the taxes being higher for journeys originating from Toronto.

Thanx! I'll remember that, wierd as it seems.

Thanx! I'll remember that, wierd as it seems.

Don't think VIA would suggest it either! Can't see any disadvantages of booking two one-ways over a round trip.

Here in the U.K. most of the time it's cheaper to book two one ways rather than round trip especially if booking in advance and that's got nothing to do with taxes!

Back