Rough Tracks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Segments with at least some 90mph running:
Winslow-Gallup (lots) – Albuquerque
Is this still true? It's been a while, but I experienced no 90MPH running the last time I rode the SWC between LMY and FLG. The air dam effect when passing full speed freights was nearly silent and my GPS never showed more than 79MPH.

LSL is allowed upto 110 on a segment between Hudson and Albany. As for whether it actually manages to reach that is a separate question given how under-powered it is in that segment.
On Thursday, Oct 17 I observed 103 mph on the LSL somewhere between Albany and NYP. On Monday, Oct 21 I observed 109 mph on the Crescent between NYP and WAS. (Garmin GPSMap 64st)

The Southwest Chief can if needed as in running late run at 90 mph in Missouri and then in New Mexico and Arizona as IRH442 puts in an earlier post. At one point almost the entire route had 90 mph running sections including in Western Kansas. A system called ATS (Automatic Train Stop) basically a basic PTC system that was originally created in the 1920's that allows this speed of operation. Unfortunately there is a cost to maintain and that is up to the freight railroads to cover this cost and if it doesn't help their operations it has been pulled in most places. BNSF runs a lot, I mean a lot of intermodal and it keeps their traffic more truck competitive so they still use it.
Not the exclusive cause of bad track but what seems to be a significant factor is jointed rail (39 ft. sections) and heavy loads. Then today's track maintenance plans seem to be setup for CWR (Continuous welded rail) and staffing is thinner than in the days of jointed rail.
Western Kansas is an example of this situation that is slowly being addressed by the TIGER Grants. Jointed rail and grain loads in this case are the cause. Tracks south of Raton are also primarily jointed track except in curves but with no other traffic are in better shape.
The south end of the CONO, which I last traveled almost 10 years ago and was rough, this line has historically been known to have bad track. The back story is this is the old Illinois Central Freight Line and was not designed or maintained for passenger traffic.
Then the decision was made to move the CONO over to the freight line and stop using the passenger line between Memphis and Jackson. Unfortunately CN and Amtrak have a less than positive relationship so I would not hold your breath for any major improvement on this line.

On a westbound Capitol Limited I was awoken from the train rattling and jumping somewhere between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Wouldn't be able to tell exactly where it was, but it was a pretty straight and fast segment, so based on the map I'm going to assume it was after Alliance. In my weariness I worried that the train was overspeed and would derail, but obviously everything was just fine. It didn't look like other people in the car woke up.

On Thursday, Oct 17 I observed 103 mph on the LSL somewhere between Albany and NYP. On Monday, Oct 21 I observed 109 mph on the Crescent between NYP and WAS. (Garmin GPSMap 64st)
Amtrak can operate at 110 mph between Albany ny and Schenectady ny, about 9 miles and Rensselaer and Castleton ny. ( roughly 20 miles )I am not sure of the speed limit to Poughkeepsie ny, however south of thier amtrak mixes with heavy metro north commuter traffic probably limiting them to 79 mph or less into NYP.

Is this still true? It's been a while, but I experienced no 90MPH running the last time I rode the SWC between LMY and FLG. The air dam effect when passing full speed freights was nearly silent and my GPS never showed more than 79MPH.
Transitdocs show #4/29 at speeds up to 89mph east of Winslow, so you must have just experienced an uncommonly slow trip.

Amtrak is still better overall than bus and you can move around and go to cafe car or whatnot. Only on a few airplanes can you move around and go to a bar or lounge space which are used for long haul. So the rough rail ride isn’t a big deal and is not bothersome.

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I was curious if anyone might have any updates on any rough track? Namely the LSL, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, California Zephyr, or the Chief. The Chief runs 90mph I guess in some spots - does also anyone happen to know where exactly? Thanks!

I rode the Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, and Southwest Chief in September. North bound on the TE was the worst overnight ride we had. The next was the California Zephyr 5 on the first night, and then the second night of the Southwest Chief 4. During the day the worst ride was the Coast Starlight from the Bay Area to San Luis Obispo. We did find it interesting that riding southbound on the TE seemed to be much smoother than northbound.

Back