Reserved Coach Seats?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judy Tee

Train Attendant
Could someone please tell me what to expect with Reserved Coach Seats from Michigan to Chicago?

As you are boarding the attendant "may" give you a seating "assignment" - then again, you may just get to pick an available seat.

"Reserved" just means that you are "guaranteed" a seat and should not have to stand for part of the trip.

As you are boarding the attendant "may" give you a seating "assignment" - then again, you may just get to pick an available seat.

"Reserved" just means that you are "guaranteed" a seat and should not have to stand for part of the trip.
I doubt they assign seats on the Michigan to Chicago trains. And I doubt they have attendants on those trains.

I doubt they assign seats on the Michigan to Chicago trains. And I doubt they have attendants on those trains.

It’s been awhile, but I have taken that train before and seem to recall attendants although they may have just been ‘passing through’. Lots of students as I recall!

It’s been awhile, but I have taken that train before and seem to recall attendants although they may have just been ‘passing through’. Lots of students as I recall!
I've never taken those trains, so I admit I could be wrong. I just figured they like the the northeast regionals.

I take the Michigan trains all the time. There are usually 2 conductors on each train. If you are boarding in Michigan you'll just get on and pick a seat. If you are boarding in Chicago they will tell you which CAR to sit in as they arrange passengers by destination. You can pick any seat in that car.

I’ve ridden the Pere Marquette from Holland to Chicago or vice versa over 90 times and have never been assigned a seat. However, on this train, the conductor directs you to a certain car. You may sit anywhere you like in that car.

I've never taken those trains, so I admit I could be wrong. I just figured they like the the northeast regionals.

One difference...although it's been 34 years since I rode a Michigan train and circumstances may have changed...but, at least in 1985, there were no high level platforms in Michigan. The conductor can't just push one button and open all the doors on the train to let passengers on and off. Someone has to open the trap and place the step box on the platform. Hence coach attendants are required.

Back