CS #11 and Surfliner Combined in SLO?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I know someone on the Starlight #11 today and when they got to San Luis Obispo, the passengers were notified that the train would be combined with a southbound Surfliner (I believe 796?) and make all Surfliner stops to LA Union Station.

Is this common? It turned their 30 minute delay into an hour delay...maybe increasing with the added stops. The person I know is nervous about missing their Texas Eagle connection.

Interesting. I wonder if 796 was having engine issues. 777 might have brought an extra engine to them and dropped it in Goleta. There have been instances when trains combine but it’s quite rare. Did your friend get any other info?

Was this last Friday 10/18? Did train 11 actually couple with 796 in SLO?

I ask because the inbound train 763 was severely delayed after encountering a trespasser south of LAX that day. They decided to terminate it in Goleta and turn it around as 796. Passengers planning to board 796 north of GTA were instructed to take train 11 instead.

My guess is since 11 was running close to on time, it waited in SLO to sync up with 796's schedule (or for connecting Thruway service) before continuing on.

Back