DST back to Standard Time (while on Cardinal)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband and I will be travelling from Chicago on the Cardinal, leaving on 11/2. The last stop before the 2 am "fall back" is Connersville IN. The next stop is Cincinatti leaving at 3:27am. With the time change we would arrive at Cinci an hour or so "early".

Am I correct in assuming we will have an extra hour (or so) layover at Cinci in order to catch up with the time change?

Husband and I will be travelling from Chicago on the Cardinal, leaving on 11/2. The last stop before the 2 am "fall back" is Connersville IN. The next stop is Cincinatti leaving at 3:27am. With the time change we would arrive at Cinci an hour or so "early".

Am I correct in assuming we will have an extra hour (or so) layover at Cinci in order to catch up with the time change?

Yes, the train will be stopped for an extra hour somewhere, then it'll depart to sync up with non-daylight savings time. Would not be surprised, if a longer extended stop was done in Cincinnati, so that the Cardinal train's running time ends up being synced with regular(non-daylight savings) standard time.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. If I'm awake, I guess I will take advantage of the longer smoke/stretch break. Maybe get a pizza delivered. ;)

Thanks. That's what I suspected. If I'm awake, I guess I will take advantage of the longer smoke/stretch break. Maybe get a pizza delivered. ;)

If the extended stop to sync up with regular standard time occurs in Connersville, IN, there probably is a local location of Pizza King(a small town Indiana pizza chain throughout the state) you could call, to get a pizza. :) I would of course FIRST ask the train crew how they will handle doing the extended stop to sync up to standard time, before you call the Pizza King in Connersville to deliver a pizza to the station in Connersville. You're welcome, as someone who has spent some time in small town Indiana, plus remembers visiting Connersville on a side trip with my brother. Who both used to attend Earlham College in Richmond, IN, plus student teached in Connersville!

BTW I'd call the Pizza King on 5th Street in Connersville to get a pizza(at (765) 825-8568), since that location is closer to the Amtrak station in downtown Connersville. There are 2 locations of Pizza King in Connersville, but the location on 5th St is closer, vs the one on Western Ave.

Thanks for the info on Connersville, I have never been there. Just kidding about the pizza though, as we're due to be passing thru around 1:30 in the morning. I don't really expect any place to be open that late. Nor any place in Cinci at 2:30 am. Well, might be some 24 hour joints in Cinci, I'll have to look into that before we leave.

It’s probably the best day to ride Amtrak overnight. You are guaranteed to make up an hour of time if your late. Of course it’s always possible to lose the hour again.

How does that affect hours of service?

Thanks for the info on Connersville, I have never been there. Just kidding about the pizza though, as we're due to be passing thru around 1:30 in the morning. I don't really expect any place to be open that late. Nor any place in Cinci at 2:30 am. Well, might be some 24 hour joints in Cinci, I'll have to look into that before we leave.
Used to one crossed the River into Kentucky for Nightlife when the Mob had lots of joints there.( See Pete Rose's History)

Used to one crossed the River into Kentucky for Nightlife when the Mob had lots of joints there.( See Pete Rose's History)

This Newport Ky “sin city” was closed down in 1959 when George Ratterman (former back up to Cleveland Browns quarterback Otto Graham) defeated Frank “Screw” Andrews (yes that is how his name appeared on the ballot), for Sheriff of Campbell County, Ky and cleaned up the whole County. The story of what transpired including the slipping of a “Mickey” to Ratterman is amazing. Google it and you will discover the ends which those who corrupt our governments will go to try to keep their control.

I was in high school in Fort Thomas, Ky at the time and witnessed the story and how it disrupted not only Newport but also Ft. Thomas.

This Newport Ky “sin city” was closed down in 1959 when George Ratterman (former back up to Cleveland Browns quarterback Otto Graham) defeated Frank “Screw” Andrews (yes that is how his name appeared on the ballot), for Sheriff of Campbell County, Ky and cleaned up the whole County. The story of what transpired including the slipping of a “Mickey” to Ratterman is amazing. Google it and you will discover the ends which those who corrupt our governments will go to try to keep their control.

I was in high school in Fort Thomas, Ky at the time and witnessed the story and how it disrupted not only Newport but also Ft. Thomas.

Just did a google check and note that the newspaper articles which come up say it happened in 1961 but they are wrong. It was 1959, my junior year in high school but otherwise they are on point.

The Committee of 500 led the reform movement. At that time, Kentucky had a law that the State Police could not come into a County which had a population of over 50,000 without an invitation from the Sheriff. That is why the Sheriff’s election was key.

Interesting stuff guys, thanks for the info!

Most places, especially in the "Bible Belt "had "Sin Cities" like the above,Phenix City,Alabama being the most infamous until cleaned up by fed up citizens as depicted in Newspapers and a Movie in the case of Phenix City.

Interesting stuff guys, thanks for the info!

Most places, especially in the "Bible Belt "had "Sin Cities" like the above,Phenix City,Alabama being the most infamous until cleaned up by fed up citizens as depicted in Newspapers and a Movie in the case of Phenix City.
I read a book about that place,WOW!

Back