Lazy Amtrak Zephyr SCA Sleeper Attendant? "If needed, you can find me in room 1”

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I need an attendant, I push the button inside the room and wait for it instead of doing nothing, not getting the service I wanted, and then complaining about it later.
Aren't you the poster who "tips" attendants as soon as you board? If you were in this car on this trip it sounds like your bribes and button mashing might have gone unheeded.

I'm glad I read this thread before my trip. I wouldn't have known to tip the SCA! The two I had on the Cardinal and the Capitol Limited with both great. Two very different people, but great service from both.

When I need an attendant, I push the button inside the room and wait...

In my experience, there's about a 1 in 3 chance that you'll be in for a *very* long wait. Attendant might have run to the dining car, or might be covering the adjacent transition sleeper, or might be napping, or...

I find it very helpful when they tell me where to find them, so that if something comes up, I know where to look rather than just pushing the button and wondering whether I'll hear back in a minute or in an hour.

I recall one occasion where I made up the beds for the people in the roomette across the aisle because the attendant was nowhere to be found. She turned up an hour later wondering if we still needed her.

In my experience, there's about a 1 in 3 chance that you'll be in for a *very* long wait. Attendant might have run to the dining car, or might be covering the adjacent transition sleeper, or might be napping, or...

I find it very helpful when they tell me where to find them, so that if something comes up, I know where to look rather than just pushing the button and wondering whether I'll hear back in a minute or in an hour.

I recall one occasion where I made up the beds for the people in the roomette across the aisle because the attendant was nowhere to be found. She turned up an hour later wondering if we still needed her.

Been there, done that. And the worst part is when they do show up and get pissy because you did their job for them.

Once when I was in a transition sleeper I couldn’t find the sleeper attendant in the car next door to put my bed down and there was no bedding in the upper berth (so I couldn’t do it myself). After about an hour after I rang the call button one of the waitresses walked by to her room and asked if I needed anything.... she set me up.

I've had consistent long or very long waits when I've used the call button on The Empire Builder. Thanks to Siegmund for the idea of finding out where to look for them.

Which, I hasten to add, is something that happens along with exceptionally good service. I've left website feedback more than once recommending commendations.

I find the SCA’s “typically” stay in room 1 (mid train sharing wall with bathroom on all the LD Superliners).
From my experience I’ve always noticed room 1 to be somewhat of storage for supplies and always assume that’s where they stay too.

My usual LD train is a Viewliner, and for many years, I seemed to end up in one where the call buttons didn't work.

So I just wandered around looking for my SCA and usually found them easily (because how far can they really get away on a single-level train?:D)

My favorite memory is of once, when I had a wonderful SCA (his name was Jimmy--haven't seen him for years, so maybe retired) but couldn't find him, I was standing in the hall and said out loud, "Now where on earth did Jimmy go?" and turned around and he was right in back of me grinning:D:).

Back