New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you who have been on the Meteor since the changeover--can you tell us if they have the same number of dining car staff? Or if they are the same people as before? I always found the dining car crews on the Meteor decent to wonderful, and the attitude and laziness thing doesn't sound like the ones I've known through the years.

I wonder if they are just as discouraged about this change as many of the passengers are, and it's coming out like this?

Also, of course, I bet nobody bothered to walk them through the new system--they were probably just supposed to figure it out overnight on their own.

One of the changes was the elimination of the dining staff. That’s where they’re cutting costs. The SCAs are helping the LSA.

One of the changes was the elimination of the dining staff. That’s where they’re cutting costs. The SCAs are helping the LSA.

Thanks, Betty--that's what I thought, and I couldn't figure out why there seemed to be more than one staff person in the dining car--so the people sitting there must be the LSA and the SCAs?

I'm so, so sorry to see the dining staff go, but I'm glad to know it's not my dining staff friends from the old days that are the ones with the attitude.

Those of you who have been on the Meteor since the changeover--can you tell us if they have the same number of dining car staff? Or if they are the same people as before? I always found the dining car crews on the Meteor decent to wonderful, and the attitude and laziness thing doesn't sound like the ones I've known through the years.

I wonder if they are just as discouraged about this change as many of the passengers are, and it's coming out like this?

Also, of course, I bet nobody bothered to walk them through the new system--they were probably just supposed to figure it out overnight on their own.
I am on the Meteor now with one LSA who I recognize from past trips. The crew has been trained, but not all questions have been answered. The cafe attendant, who I also recognize from past trips, told me he has been on the phone many times to his manager today (one phone call was about me).

The SCAs are helping out the LSA. Passengers appear to be pretty patient waiting for their food and I have not seen any anger on the part of crew or passengers. Maybe a little disappointment by passengers who were expecting traditional dining.

Also the VIA Rail steward comes by to get drink orders and suggests various wines and beers. I'd say 75% of my tablemates on VIA ordered wine or beer at dinner. It's a great way to make money. and yes the Steward on VIA uses the Steward's desk and doesn't pile up paper work everywhere.

Which reminds me... the LSA in the new flex diner STILL had all these papers everywhere on the table. I'm not sure if she was doing inventory or what but once again the whole process is just wrong.

And they offer some really good Canadian wines!

Ok. My experience last night on the Capitol Lmtd was good with this new dining thing. There were managers riding along, so maybe it was a dog and pony show for them and the cross country cafe dining car seemed to work well for that.

Not so much tonight on the Crescent. Been sitting here for 22 minutes now and the 1 person doing everything is in no hurry, doing just one thing at a time. No eye contact, ignore everything. I almost did my usual and brought dinner on board with me but wanted to try one of the new dishes. Guess I won’t make that mistake again. Y’all were right, I was wrong, this does suck.

The passengers at the table next to me during dinner had the beef and said it was OK. It smelled pretty good. At another table, one woman had the beef, that she liked and another woman had the chicken fettuccini, which she did not like.

I learned that if the crew wants a flex dining meal for lunch or dinner, it will cost them $25 each meal. They are alloted a certain per diem amount, but 3 meals would put them over. :(

During dinner, the LSA seemed to be working her tail off. For a while, the cafe attendant was helping, and then the sleeping car attendants were helping. Our train is not full, but they seem to be short staffed. My sleeping car attendant has 2 cars.

The passengers at the table next to me during dinner had the beef and said it was OK. It smelled pretty good. At another table, one woman had the beef, that she liked and another woman had the chicken fettuccini, which she did not like.

I learned that if the crew wants a flex dining meal for lunch or dinner, it will cost them $25 each meal. They are alloted a certain per diem amount, but 3 meals would put them over. [emoji20]

During dinner, the LSA seemed to be working her tail off. For a while, the cafe attendant was helping, and then the sleeping car attendants were helping. Our train is not full, but they seem to be short staffed. My sleeping car attendant has 2 cars.

I heard that approximately a third of the affected employees were furloughed (I believe the mica language prohibits them from outright terminating employees in meeting the F&B mandate.) For the rest some got the single remaining LSA job in the diners, and others were offered other open OBS positions (LSA, SCA, coach attendant, etc) - I believe even the LSA diner position was reclassified so I don’t know if all the LSAs in the former model just got this position or if everyone was put into the pool and they awarded the LSAs by seniority. The star eventually getting this program should add another few LSA positions which should help out another few furloughed employees if they are still in furloughed status and accept.

“Remind me again--how close is Lou Mitchells to the Chicago Amtrak station? 'Cause that is where I'll be heading for breakfast next time I take the train there.) “

Took the Zypher home on Sunday Chi-GBB no meal served so we got a pizza across the street from Union Station at Beggars Pizza and brought it onboard. Highly recommend the deep dish on par with Giordono’s or Lou Malnoti’s literally right across the street on Clinton Street.

The only nice thing about the Flex dining is the free drinks are back. Had our pizza in the SSL but had to pay 6 bucks for sodas:(. We usually take the SWC that leaves 40 mins later and includes dinner.
Mitchells is about 1/2 block away from the Chicago Amtrak station. I ate there on our last train trip and did not care for it, but to each her own.

Lou Mitchell’s is my go to place for breakfast.
It’s a 2 blocks from the Canal street entrance to Union Station. 1/2 block to Jackson, right onto Jackson then 1-1/2 blocks.

There is a great deal of disappointment among passengers and crew with the flex dining. I had a breakfast sandwich this morning (after removing the sausage) and it was edible. Again, I am sitting in the sleeper lounge, which I find very comfortable. Flex dining has created an increased burden on SCAs (those that have not been furloughed).

Here’s dinner. The potatoes don’t resemble potatoes in taste or texture. The beef is... ok?

Was told I would just go to the diner and give my room number when I was ready to eat.... but then at 6:00 my attendant came with my meal and said “they made your food so I brought it to you” - I think that’s just confusion cause of the first day but I really wanted to eat in the diner and a bit later. On the plus side, they brought a little table cloth for my roomette table. Also brought a Brownie and a roll, neither of which I can eat, even though I ordered a meal which is listed as gluten free.

Oh yeah... and the only salad dressing option is Heinz ranch served in ketchup size packets. Keeps getting better and better.
I have to say, I actually liked the similar option on the LSL with beans, potatoes, carrots and beef. Only issue is that they didn't serve a roll with it. But the dessert is fine, drinks are fine too

My sleeper attendant on the meteor was a 30+ year dining car server on Amtrak. She started on the Broadway Limoted! It was one of her first runs as a sleeper attendant and she was just fantastic. I’m glad she got to keep her job with Amtrak... she’s up there with the legendary Gul as one of Amtrak’s best (are we allowed to name good sca’s or will that be edited out? Time will tell....).

Since I wasn’t about to tip someone for handing me a yogurt and not even trying to be friendly I tipped my SCA what I would usually tip my sca AND dining car staff. I mean she took my order, brought me an extra drink, and brought me my dinner. For lunch the other SCA on the train brought me my lunch.

The LSA on the Silver Meteor was told by her managers that she is not permitted to sit at any of the tables in the sleeper lounge and that all tables are reserved for sleeper passengers. Between assisting passengers, she is sitting on what looks like an uncomfortable box in the kitchen area.

The LSA on the Silver Meteor was told by her managers that she is not permitted to sit at any of the tables in the sleeper lounge and that all tables are reserved for sleeper passengers. Between assisting passengers, she is sitting on what looks like an uncomfortable box in the kitchen area.
Last Fall when I rode the Lake Shore and the Cap when they started serving Version One the " New and Contemporary" Boxed Meals, the LSAs and SCAs told us they weren't allowed to eat them, so the Crew had to either bring their food and Drink or else Pay for the Gas Station style stuff Sold in the Cafe.

That sounds pretty bad for those who spend their working life aboard Long Distance Trains, where's the Union on this??

On the Crescent that left NOL on Oct 1 although we got on in GRV.

Breakfast was gross. What a comedown!

Worst tasting muffins I've ever had. I never eat packaged muffins and now I remember why. I'd rather have a day-old muffin from a grocery store than one of these. The grocery one may taste a little stale or dried out but it wouldn't taste that artificial. Worse was the Amtrak version of an egg McMuffin. Microwaved bread tastes and has the mouth feel of rubber and these were so bad! The bananas were long past their prime with little edible banana. If you don't know to ask for butter or the fruit cup, you don't get them. Not sure if the strange taste in the fruit cup was due to a sweetener added or a preservative to make it look fresh longer like a little lemon would do.
Then there was the server. "We're having a brief lunch so you have to come now" as we were almost to Washington. So we went and asked "Can we wait a bit so we can stretch our legs in Washington?" "NO" she said. "Now or you are out of luck. Just then we stopped in DC to change to the electric engines so the power went off. She couldn't cook our orders! So we asked again and promised to be back as soon as power was restored. "No" she said. We told her to bring our orders to our table when they were ready and got up and stepped outside. Got back even before power was restored. BTW, her reasoning was that service had to be ended by Trenton. We arrived in Trenton nearly 2 hours later! And there were only about 6 of us in total at lunch in the diner.

I do have to admit the shrimp/sausage/rice meal was good (I don't eat shrimp so I gave them to my wife) although the vegetables were almost invisible. Salad is much smaller than the old way. Only 2 choices instead of 5-6 for the dressing. Same old packaged roll and have to ask for the butter. Packaged brownies were decent but don't hold a candle to desserts used in the past. Oh, those free soft drinks? They were out of diet Pepsi. No diet drinks at all.

Seems like the one free alcohol drink means just that. She asked if we had a drink the dinner prior but we had boarded (1 1/2 hours late) at 12:15AM so I assume she meant "If you had one yesterday, you don't get one today!"

One saving grace. Our H room had no A/C so I couldn't sleep. Went into Diner where it was cool at 4:30AM and sat up for a while before trying to get back to sleep. Then got up again at 6AM to do the same. she was readying breakfast and offered it to me but I told her I would wait until my wife got up and just wanted to sit a while. she nicely offered (and I accepted) a fresh cup of coffee.

I sent feedback to Amtrak about the H room problem. I'll follow up with a call when we get back if I don't hear from them before then. I didn't want to have my opinion of the "Fresh Choices" be a part of that issue. That letter will go out after we get back and experience NYP to GRV (dinner only) as well.

Here’s breakfast. Amtrak crew is sitting at the “buffet table” so you awkwardly get your coffee creamer, etc. while they are just sitting there.

Lsa has a tip jar out of course.

Oh and iced coffee is no longer on the “flex” dining menu (it was on the original contemporary dining menus).

Worse than the "free" breakfast at low end motels, like econo lodge.

Last Fall when I rode the Lake Shore and the Cap when they started serving Version One the " New and Contemporary" Boxed Meals, the LSAs and SCAs told us they weren't allowed to eat them, so the Crew had to either bring their food and Drink or else Pay for the Gas Station style stuff Sold in the Cafe.

That sounds pretty bad for those who spend their working life aboard Long Distance Trains, where's the Union on this??
From what I understand now on the Meteor, crew members can purchase either breakfast, lunch or diner meals from the LSA in the sleeper lounge. Most feel that it is not worth the cost and are bringing their own food. One SCA got off the train in WPB and ran inside the station and bought a sandwich. She said she could not afford the prices for the "tray" meals. I am guessing that some got off in Orlando and bought food at the hot dog stand.

Confined working environment of a length of time covering several meal periods.

Amtrak will not provide meals under these conditions?

Ineffective union yes, but a Employer who does not care about the employees.

Our world not getting better.

Agree. When folks come to do work at our HOUSE I feed them lunch, since we're pretty remote--and those folks go home at the end of the day. I can't imagine having staff working away from a kitchen or restaurant for days on end, and not offering to feed them.

My sleeper attendant on the meteor was a 30+ year dining car server on Amtrak. She started on the Broadway Limoted! It was one of her first runs as a sleeper attendant and she was just fantastic. I’m glad she got to keep her job with Amtrak... she’s up there with the legendary Gul as one of Amtrak’s best (are we allowed to name good sca’s or will that be edited out? Time will tell....).

Since I wasn’t about to tip someone for handing me a yogurt and not even trying to be friendly I tipped my SCA what I would usually tip my sca AND dining car staff. I mean she took my order, brought me an extra drink, and brought me my dinner. For lunch the other SCA on the train brought me my lunch.

Which train were you on and did she say which train she was a server on?

Don't know who the sea or .Lca are but there were a lot of staff hanging in the sleeper lounge on the meteor Wednesday. Do people normally tip the cabin attendant up front or at the end?

Back