Question about missed Hiawatha connection at Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimontheriver

Train Attendant
In a few weeks we will be coming into Chicago on the Illinois Zephyr #380 scheduled to arrive at 10:33am. I have these tickets. Wanting to go on to Milwaukee for the day. If I buy tickets for #333 departing at 11:05 but miss this because of a late #380 into Chicago can I use the ticket on the next train at 1:05, #335 ??

It may depend upon whether your ticket on the Hiawatha is for an Unreserved seat or a Reserved seat.

I may be wrong, but had the notion they could become reserved seating around holidays and other high-traffic times. Oh well . . .

Anyhoo, fares on the 3:15 and 5:08 pm peak travel time Hiawathas from CHI are $3 more than the others on weekdays but still unreserved on the days checked - so I think that ticket would be good for any later train. Maybe even an earlier one?

Strictly speaking no Amtrak train other than Acelas in First Class have reserved seat, as understood in rest of the world, as in, a specific seat is earmarked for you. All that we have is reserved trains, i.e. you can travel only by a specific train shown on your ticket. As for whether you get a seat or not is between you and your luck at times, though most Amtrak trains do not run particularly full its entire route, so it is very likely that you will get a seat for a substantial part of your trip, and possibly even all of it.

As mentioned by others, the Hiawathas are generally not reserved trains, though on some specific dates around holidays they may become reserved trains.

The Hiawatha has peak ($28) and non-peak ($25) trains on weekdays. The peak trains going to MKE are at 3:15 pm and 5:08 pm. The tickets for the non-peak trains won’t work on the peak trains. 11:05 am and 1:05 pm are non-peak, so either of those two times would work for you.

Back