How are Amtrak train cars in Winter?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
traveling on the Canadian during a snowfall was incredible (for this Florida native).

I am seriously considering trying to do such a trip this coming late February or early March. I think there would still be a good chance for a "snowy" train trip.

I am seriously considering trying to do such a trip this coming late February or early March. I think there would still be a good chance for a "snowy" train trip.
My trip was in December 2011

I was gonna take an Amtrak to Washington in late January. I'm concerned about heat in the cars, especially the Bedrooms. Has anyone had a problem traveling in Amtrak during winter months?

Occassionally, but never in the sleepers.

The main problem is in the vestibules. If the exterior doors don't fully close (which can happen for a number of reasons including snow ans ice), the vestibules can can freeze up really bad during some kinds of weather. On one occassion this led to snow and ice getting into the coach car too. Never had a problem once I was inside a Roomette/Bedroom.

We road the LSL last year during the record cold period. The rooms were comfortable but the shower room was ice cold. I'd let the hot water try to warm it up, but I think the drain was frozen as well. What a mess that made.

In order to fulfill a desire to take a deep Winter ride I booked Amtrak #8 Empire Builder from SEA to CHI departing last January 17 (2019).

OUTSIDE, it rarely got over freezing and was below 0 much of middle USA and topped -13 at night.

INSIDE my Bedroom it was nice and toasty. To hedge by bets I did bring along a LOW Watt electric lap throw to use in case the room heat was not adequate but never had to turn it on.

Enjoy your Winter ride.

You could always get a pair of these ...

81VU25FhRTL._SX679_.jpg

SVPRO Rechargeable Electric Heated Socks

I always travel in roomette with a 8"clip on fan and a small porcelain heater. The Fan is used 90% of the time in all seasons. I only used the heater in the winter months to warm up the room for after getting out of the shower. And before all you voltage experts jump in, it doesnt blow the breakers it the same wattage as a hair dryer....even less on low and medium. A few years ago on a sold out train the heating was out on the A bedroom and the couple in it couldn't take the cold. I ask the SA if we could trade my working heat roomette for their non working heat bedroom. My little porcelain heater kept that bedroom right at 73 degrees the whole trip. The twin size electric throws from Walmart work well also and fit nicely. If you have to sink was a clothing item the heater is also great for drying that,.

I was on EB westbound during the blizzard 2 years ago and looking out the back window of the train during the blizzard was one of my favorite amtrak memories,

Back