Do you go out of your way to ride a particular train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother and his wife are talking about driving to New Orleans and taking the train round-trip to LA - then driving back home ... since the train does not go from JAX to NOL

Not exactly Amtrak but I took a trip earlier this summer:

Flew to Anchorage
10 days in Alaska
Cruise from Seward to Vancouver
VIA Canadian Vancouver to Toronto
Overnight in Toronto
Flew back

I'm taking the Texas Eagle 421/422 to the Sunset Limited 1/2 next month just to travel from Ft Worth to LA and back on track I have never been on. I have been from Dallas to Chicago a bunch, but never south of Ft. Worth.

I will on occasion go out of my way to ride a certain train on the Corridor. One train that I try to ride more often then not is Acela 2165. One reason is that the Conductor on the train is GREAT! The other is the timing of the train isn’t to bad. Leaves the Boston area around Noon and I’m home in Philadelphia around 5. Going to Boston I normally end up on 2158. But on occasion I’ll leave on 2160. If I’m traveling on a Monday I’ll try to get on 2166 or 2168. Just so I can sleep in a little bit more and not get into Boston at an ungodly hour. A couple of times I rode on 2172/2258. Once cause it was the last Acela that left Philadelphia and I knew I could make that train after work. Another time on 2172 was for the girls First Birthday party in Massachusetts. I took 2172 cause I knew my ex could pick me up and the kids would be asleep and she didn’t have to worry about much. And the one time I took 2258 I was living with my ex at the time in Massachusetts and I was home in Philadelphia for the weekend and I had several doctors appointments that day which was MLK Jr day so a Sunday schedule was in place.

Newbie here - first post be gentle :)

My friend and I are doing this. We are taking an east-coast baseball tour this month that starts and ends in Newark NJ. So instead of flying, we are taking the LSL out of Chicago. on the way back we are taking NE Regional to DC , staying 2 nights there, then returning on the Cardinal (we have not been on that route yet).

In September I have to go to Baltimore for work for a week, everyone is flying, I talked management into letting me take Amtrak - Cardinal both ways:) saved them about $140 and I'm a happy camper.

I’ve had to get a ride from Great Falls, MT to Shelby, MT to catch the train home and it ain’t that easy up there. It would be easier to fly but I like the Empire Builder. I flew to a conference but was determined to take the train home.

All the time all over the world. Just yesterday I left Ella in Sri Lanka and took a tuk tuk for an hours journey to Badulla to catch the train to Colombo (a 10 hour journey) . An hour 15mins after catching the train we arrived back in Ella, but it did allow me the opportunity of traveling over the 9 arch bridge and getting some pretty amazing viewsFB_IMG_1569045280884.jpg

I have to go out of my way to ride any trains at all. I live on an island served by Washington State Ferries, and it's 20 miles from the mainland ferry terminal to the nearest train station, served by Amtrak Cascades. But the ferry schedule generally does not connect with the train schedule in a meaningful manner. I pretty much have to spend the night somewhere in order to ride a train, and several times I have spent the night in Bellingham (40 miles from the ferry terminal). There is a nice hotel with several nearby restaurants just a couple blocks from the Bellingham Train station, which is also the Alaska Ferry terminal--so there is good, safe, long-term parking. Also, by embarking and disembarking in Bellingham, I traverse one of the most scenic stretches of coastal running in the entire Amtrak system.

I went out of my way to take the Lake Shore Limited on a trip from Seattle to Kissimmee a couple years ago because I had not ridden that route before. This necessitated a night in New York. And early this year, my entire vacation was a Coast Starlight-Texas Eagle-Empire Builder circle, because I had not ridden the Texas Eagle (although I had been on the Lone Star and Sunset Limited).

If I finally decide to book the Auto Train for this January, I do consider "going out of my way" to do so whether I am still using my current car or a new one. Driving a new car, will my car come out at the end of the journey in as good condition as it was when I started? That is a concern!

If I finally decide to book the Auto Train for this January, I do consider "going out of my way" to do so whether I am still using my current car or a new one. Driving a new car, will my car come out at the end of the journey in as good condition as it was when I started? That is a concern!

Now THAT would be the biggest definition of out of my way.....driving from Michigan to Virginia to catch the auto train.....and yes, I’ve thought of doing it!

I wouldn't quite have to go as far as you would do take the Auto Train ... however, I would have to drive about 3 hours south just to go north again - it would be much easier for me if the Auto Train also picked up in Jacksonville, since it goes right past the depot in Jax.

Why go out of your way to ride the Auto Train? I'd be much happier riding the other trains that use the exact same route, and take me much closer to where I actually want to go...
It the reason is to experience the Superliner's...there are much more scenic trains to do that on.

I 'commute' along the route of the Auto Train, but I would never use it...would much rather take the Silver Meteor or Star, drive all the way between my homes in South Florida and Queens, NY, or fly....

Why go out of your way to ride the Auto Train? I'd be much happier riding the other trains that use the exact same route, and take me much closer to where I actually want to go...
It the reason is to experience the Superliner's...there are much more scenic trains to do that on.

I 'commute' along the route of the Auto Train, but I would never use it...would much rather take the Silver Meteor or Star, drive all the way between my homes in South Florida and Queens, NY, or fly....

I'd ride the Auto Train because it's one of the few Amtrak trains I've not been on.

Another train I'd go out of my way to ride could be the Missouri River Runner as one of my favorite conductors is trying to be transferred to that particular train. He's wanting to be added to the STL crew base.

I would only ride the AT so that I could have my own truck/tools with me if I were going somewhere I needed them ... but, I could drive it if I really had too.

[
I would choose to book the Auto Train since it is a train on which I have not ridden. It would end in Lorton which would allow me to make a visit to some relatives in a Maryland suburb of Washington, D.C. And, it would be different for getting home from the normal I-75 North/South routes. (Yes, I have studied the maps and I have used all of the possible North/South routes East of I-75 over the years.)

Riding the Auto Train solely because it is a train one has not ridden...
Let's see...how many trains are there on the NEC one has not ridden...or any other corridor?

I suppose the entire Auto Train experience might be an attraction unto itself for some....

Riding the Auto Train solely because it is a train one has not ridden...
Let's see...how many trains are there on the NEC one has not ridden...or any other corridor?

I suppose the entire Auto Train experience might be an attraction unto itself for some....

railiner: I appreciate your comment. Thank you. I live in an Amtrak "desert" area. I have to "work" and carefully plan my trips in order to incorporate an Amtrak journey as part of my itinerary.

I have patronized the Crescent, the Sunset Limited, the Southwest Chief, the Coast Starlight, the Empire Builder, the Cardinal, the California Zephyr, the Silver Meteor, the Metroliner, and other Amtrak routes/trains that no longer exist. Some of these trains and itineraries more than once.

Some of the NEC itineraries have little interest for me since I have to travel some distance to experience them. The Vermonter is of much interest, but there are details of that trip (dealing with checked luggage and getting to/from the final stop in Vermont) that pose issues for this senior citizen. Training to Montreal and/or Toronto? Attractive. But, sir, remember I have to GET to where I can start or end this journey.

Perhaps when I find myself in the D.C. area visiting relatives, I may decide to book Acela to/from Boston just for the experience.

Please consider that some of us may have other travel desires than just traveling on Amtrak.

I always wanted to ride the EB, and Amtrak's computer allowed EMY-PDX-CHI-NYP on points but not SAN-PDX-CHI-NYP. So I flew one-way SAN-OAK to catch the CS at EMY. (I did fly back home.)

I would go out of my way to ride the Auto Train. If friends or relatives in the Northeast or Florida wanted to make the trip, I would love to join them. I would like the experience of a "non-stop" train (yes, I know it probably stops plenty of times...), and would try to get in the all-bedrooms-upstairs sleeper.

Last edited:
I have gone out of my way to ride the Auto Train.

I had not traveled on the Auto Train since the late 90's, but wanted to ride it again without taking my car to the northeast. I waited for a NJ friend to come to Florida on the AT to visit his mother. A few years ago (before diners were removed from the Star), I took the Star to WAS, then took the Metro to Tysons Corner where I met up with my friend. Although I had my own room on the AT, my reservation was linked to my friend's car. After arriving in Sanford, my friend wanted to ride SunRail, which we did and which worked well for me since I live walking distance from a SunRail station.

I almost booked the Auto Train this year for our annual winter trip to Florida in February. I was willing to "eat" the distance to get to Lorton (we have friends near there), but since we're staying in the panhandle this year the drive at the Florida end was just impractical. As I posted in the Auto Train forum, if only the drive could be shortened at the top end with a different origin point or supplementary Auto Train. Long-term car rentals in Florida, which used to be the cheapest in North America, have gotten so ridiculous we need our car. We retired folks have a bit less disposable cash these days, but it was really close.

Yes, a way to add passengers and cars to the AT in either JAX or SAV would seem to be a good way to extend the usefulness of the AT to the panhandle part of Florida

Back