State of good repair issue (Lake Shore Limited)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-Thinking-51

Very bored and cranky pundit
AU Supporting Member
On board the Lake Shore Limited Boston Sleeper 4820 car. Viewliner 62017.

Left Chicago with only one of two AC units working. Of course the Roomettes are the ones with out AC. A Tour group is filling most of this car, and will be getting off in Buffalo. A wee bit muggy last nights with a lot of interesting accents from the guest.

Hopefully Boston will have more time and be able to apply more effort in fixing this issue.

However really hoping Amtrak spends some of that money there saving with the dinner cut backs on the basis items, like cleaning and state of good repair.

Part of me is happy that my sleeper was not pulled, and my trip converted to coach. The other part just want it to be a bit cooler.

Side note only one red cap working this train in Chicago. Several unhappy passengers.

Side note only one red cap working this train in Chicago. Several unhappy passengers.

Amtrak may be having difficulty hiring people to be Red Caps. Arriving in Washington on the Silver Meteor last January, there seemed to be only two Red Caps working my train and they were very busy. Two of us from our Sleeping Car had to wait quite awhile for one of them to return for us. I felt sorry for my SCA as he remained on the platform with us in the damp and cold until the Red Cap arrived. I am sure he would rather have been doing something else during the time the train spent in Washington.

I can assure you that Amtrak would have absolutely no problem hiring all the Red Caps they desired....A good Red Cap in a station like New York -Penn, can easily earn over six figures with his tips...it is one of the most desirable jobs on the railroad
A Red Cap once told me, he comes to work without any money to pay his fare home, or buy lunch with. He says if he can't earn enough for that, then 'shame on him'...;)

Amtrak's failure to provide enough Red Caps is an ADA violation which I've already reported. It means that passengers who need assistance have to wait HOURS longer than passengers who can walk, which is discrimination. Amtrak management clearly didn't listen when I reported this ADA complaint.

Amtrak's failure to provide enough Red Caps is an ADA violation which I've already reported. It means that passengers who need assistance have to wait HOURS longer than passengers who can walk, which is discrimination. Amtrak management clearly didn't listen when I reported this ADA complaint.
With the labor market as tight as it is right now, it's entirely possible that it's not Amtrak's fault for not having enough redcaps. There's just no decent labor available. Heck, my company is offering entry level positions at 20/hour and no takers.

There are plenty of willing, ambitious workers being demonized and stopped from entering this country -- mostly at the southern border. Meanwhile, millions of jobs go unfilled and "Now Hiring" signs are more prevalent than flashing Walk/Don't Walk messages at intersections.

There MUST be, at minimum, a huge change in immigration policies that permit fast, effective screening of those wanting to legally enter the USA workforce to fill the jobs Americans don't apply for themselves. Call them temporary Guest Workers if that's what it takes to get Republicans on board. They will prove themselves worthy of a path to citizenship when the political climate changes. They should feel welcome just like Lady Liberty has welcomed immigrants for generations, and not be exploited the way those who are undocumented are typically.

Amtrak is only one of hundreds of thousands of employers having trouble filling jobs like Red Cap. The reason is obvious.

With the labor market as tight as it is right now, it's entirely possible that it's not Amtrak's fault for not having enough redcaps. There's just no decent labor available. Heck, my company is offering entry level positions at 20/hour and no takers.
It is Amtrak's obligation. They can:
1) Pay more (supply and demand) - just like companies that stick it to their their employees and offer peanuts to potential new hires when jobs are few and the pool is large.
2) Make management provide the service or pay a bonus when CAs are needed to help out after arriving at the final destination.

Back