Alaska Airlines Top-Rated for Drinking Water

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maglev

Conductor
That's a good question...I wonder if they are under the same federal (FDA?) requirement to flush the potable water tanks 4 times per year and/or test monthly?

How they compare with the airlines would be interesting...

Although I believe the galley coffeemakers get water from the tanks...as do Amtrak’s...

But at least that water gets boiled in the process, be that as it may, a minor saving grace perhaps.
A quick and dirty check would seem to indicate that boiling at interior cabin pressure (6-8k ft equiv) should eradicate most microbes. That being said, with reduced service options it's likely that a relatively small amount of potable water is required for things like coffee, tea, etc. This could potentially be handled by conventional water delivery containers (such as inverted 5-gal) stored in a modified galley compartment. These could be replaced and cleaned in the usual manner rather than trying to keep hidden and somewhat inaccessible innards free of parasites and other poisons. Unlikely to happen but seems like a reasonable solution to me.

Back