Anyone know anything about NEC Speed Reductions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which kind of baggage car?
I assume either the VL or Heritage. I don't know. Poster on FB just said "any train with a baggage car is limited to 85". Sounds weird to me.

Thought it could be plausible with heat restrictions, but that doesn't make sense for the baggage cars - especially the VL which are the newest cars in the fleet.

Why should heat restriction be applicable only to one car type? Does not make sense.

Who was the individual that said this. Does he have much credibility? Afterall it is FB free for all, so it is good to know the credentials of the one posting.

In response to someone telling him totally wrong, he said "Not sure what you mean as
Totally wrong. I was basing it on what I was told by the Crew." and that it was for track improvement from Quantico. I don't consider Richmond to DC as NEC...

I didn’t think anything was still using a Heritage baggage car, except maybe certain Midwest corridor trains needing axle count cars.

Back in the day, Heritage-equipped trains (I believe either baggage or dining cars) were limited to 90 mph on the NEC. I suppose, technically, they still are, except that there aren’t any so-equipped.

I didn’t think anything was still using a Heritage baggage car, except maybe certain Midwest corridor trains needing axle count cars.

Back in the day, Heritage-equipped trains (I believe either baggage or dining cars) were limited to 90 mph on the NEC. I suppose, technically, they still are, except that there aren’t any so-equipped.
Agreed. Hence my original question about which type of baggage car. Apparently that question did not come to the mind of the poster on FB, which suggests that s/he was just parroting something without understanding the subject matter fully.

The Heritage fleet and the MHC were limited to 110mph over the NEC. The Roadrailers and Box Cars were limited to 90mph.

At any rate, there are no 85mph equipment restrictions over the NEC.

I just stumbled across that thread on Facebook, and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen so much wrong information, so densely packed into one comment thread, ever before.

Ryan runs that group. If he called out every wrong post and told them to cite their source, he'd never leave his computer.

At least jis moderated the first posts in his group. :D

Nothing goes as slowly as the Acela Express between New Rochelle and New Haven. :)

Believe it or not if the Mets play nice which the past few times I’ve been to Boston it’s not bad.

Back in January I was on 2160 and we were 10 minutes early into NHV. I was on 137 on Tuesday we were 10 minutes early into NHV and Metro North kept us on time the entire way. We sat at Stamford for 5 minutes.

Back