New Cardinal Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak has generally stopped using the phrase “First Class” in reference to its Sleeper offering for quite a while now, notwithstanding the sometimes steep fare.

But you knew what he meant correct? What Amtrak calls "Sleeper Class" is essentially first class since it includes on-board food and beverage and lounge access.

I was on exactly one trip where I could have gotten the steak on the Cardinal...but that was during a week where, due to weather "issues", it was running with the Capitol Limited's equipment.

I got a virtually identical email yesterday regarding my scheduled trip in early October on the Crescent.
We have exciting news to share about your upcoming trip Train 20 the Crescent from Atlanta, Georgia on 10/7/2019.

Staring October 1, we will be debuting a new dining experience aboard your train—made exclusively available for Sleeping Car customers. Here is what you can expect when you are onboard:

• A new dining menu with hot, ready-to-serve choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • A wide selection of wine, beer and spirits (the first one is on us), plus unlimited soft drinks throughout your journey
  • Complimentary room service provided by your Sleeping Car attendant
  • Exclusive onboard lounge space for Sleeping Car customers to dine and socialize 24x7
  • Flexible dining times without the need for reservations
Sample menus can be found at Amtrak.com/flexdining. Information on special dietary requirements, including kosher meal requests, can be found at Amtrak.com/dining. To review your reservation, visit Amtrak.com.

We look forward to seeing you on board.

Amtrak has generally stopped using the phrase “First Class” in reference to its Sleeper offering for quite a while now, notwithstanding the sometimes steep fare.
I don’t get that... to me, having a completely private room pre-assigned, with real beds and linens, plus any sort of included food and beverage....is certainly more “First Class”, than even First Class on an Acela....
But I guess that’s just me...

I don’t get that... to me, having a completely private room pre-assigned, with real beds and linens, plus any sort of included food and beverage....is certainly more “First Class”, than even First Class on an Acela....
But I guess that’s just me...
Perhaps it reflected a general desire to downgrade service significantly from what we were used to in Sleepers what with welcome aboard wine and such. I think they have lived upto that so far. Maybe the tide is about to turn. Only time will tell.

One thing that caught my attention in the various blurbs that have been emanating from Amtrak of late is the obscure statement that they want to move towards a model wherein food service is delivered from a single car. This was an Aha moment for me since that is exactly what many of the world railroads have done. Irrespective of whether they have a sit down Diner or not, they tend to have a single car to provide food service whether served at your seat or in a table car of some sort or a combination. That is unless they have gone to a zero car model where they have built in mini-pantries in each car for food storage and prep for that car, or for storing the food cart minimally. Whether they have an additional Lounge car or not is a separate issue.

But, yeah ... only time will tell what actually comes to pass.

One thing that caught my attention in the various blurbs that have been emanating from Amtrak of late is the obscure statement that they want to move towards a model wherein food service is delivered from a single car

We all attacked them when they tried to do Cross Country Cafe.... that model would have been way better than this imho. They kept the chef on board, and allowed all passengers to order off the full menu.

The only downside to the original plan is I think they were going to convert some of the ssl cars into ccc?

This is a quote from a current Amtrak menu. Still called first class.

** Alcoholic beverages are available as an extra purchase, not included in first class meal packages.

I stopped using the first class wording after one time asking the guy at the information desk at LAUS where the first class lounge was located, he said to the other person at the desk, ohh, "we have a first class passenger here". He was smiling and a friendly guy, but, I did get the impression maybe I was being a little obnoxious throwing the FIRST CLASS around. Now, that doesn't mean Amtrack should stop treating all passengers classier.

Yesterday I received the following email from Amtrak:

We have exciting news to share about your upcoming trip Train 50 from Chicago, Illinois.

Staring October 1, we will be debuting a new dining experience aboard your train—made exclusively available for Sleeping Car customers. Here is what you can expect when you are onboard:

• A new dining menu with hot, ready-to-serve choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • A wide selection of wine, beer and spirits (the first one is on us), plus unlimited soft drinks throughout your journey
  • Complimentary room service provided by your Sleeping Car attendant
  • Exclusive onboard lounge space for Sleeping Car customers to dine and socialize 24x7
  • Flexible dining times without the need for reservations
Sample menus can be found at Amtrak.com/flexdining. Information on special dietary requirements, including kosher meal requests, can be found at Amtrak.com/dining. To review your reservation, visit Amtrak.com.

We look forward to seeing you on board.

I received four of these regarding my Nov/Dec trip on the Cardinal & Silver Meteor.

Not sure why they couldn’t do Railroad French toast with the new iteration of contemporary dining. It’s just reheated in a convection oven as far as I can tell - but it IS tasty. Shouldn’t be any more difficult than heating up a breakfast sandwich. Easier - as a matter of fact.
The French toast was also griddled in the past. If all they did was warm frozen bread they'd end up with a gooey mushy mess. Reheated breakfast sandwiches are full of chemical stabilizers for this very reason.

Lunch and dinner are the same menu - lunch will still be served, but it'll use the same menu/have the same options as dinner.

I guess I am in the minority, in that I don't like to eat the exact same thing for both lunch and diner, on the same day. :eek:

I would much prefer being offered a nice sandwich or sub for lunch, than a diner entrée repeat. I mean, at least offer for lunch, what they sell in the Café or Lounge cars.

^ Me too. Always wondered why Amtrak couldn't assemble sandwiches on board: have a couple of loaves of different breads, have some cheese, meat and veggies fillings, condiments on the table, and ask PAX what they want. Serve on plate with lettuce, tomato, chips.

As for eating the same meal, aren't kids supposed to be picky eaters? So they get to eat spaghetti and meatballs at every lunch and dinner? Not understanding what Amtrak is "thinking."

I guess I am in the minority, in that I don't like to eat the exact same thing for both lunch and diner, on the same day. :eek:

I would much prefer being offered a nice sandwich or sub for lunch, than a diner entrée repeat. I mean, at least offer for lunch, what they sell in the Café or Lounge cars.

Exactly my opinion!

^ Me too. Always wondered why Amtrak couldn't assemble sandwiches on board: have a couple of loaves of different breads, have some cheese, meat and veggies fillings, condiments on the table, and ask PAX what they want. Serve on plate with lettuce, tomato, chips.

As for eating the same meal, aren't kids supposed to be picky eaters? So they get to eat spaghetti and meatballs at every lunch and dinner? Not understanding what Amtrak is "thinking."
Some kids love to eat the same thing at every meal. ;)

I just had it this morning- it was far from a gooey mess and it wasn’t griddled.

Would I rather have griddled, fresh made French toast? Sure.

Would I rather have a hotel style continental breakfast? Nope. Give me the convection oven reheated French Toast.

One obvious answer: Give sleeping car pax a possibility to opt-in to receive a voucher for no-cost food from the cafe car.

I just had it this morning- it was far from a gooey mess and it wasn’t griddled.

Would I rather have griddled, fresh made French toast? Sure.

Would I rather have a hotel style continental breakfast? Nope. Give me the convection oven reheated French Toast.

I think DA was saying the French toast on the Amtrak dining cars is usually thrown on the grill for re-heating? I’m pretty sure that’s how the burgers are cooked as well.

Back