Silver Meteor new Dining October 1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dande

So we have the Silver Meteor booked for an overnight from Florida to NY next month and paid the extra premium for the dining car experience . Just got an email that dining is being changed, no more hot breakfast and what looks like a very limited dinner menu. WTH

This dining change has been discussed in many threads for a while. I have 3 trips planned on the Silver Meteor in October and received 3 emails. My guess is that if I phoned Amtrak and wanted to switch to the Silver Star, they would permit it. However, even though I am not wild about the new menu, I like the idea of the Sleeper Lounge, unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and one alcoholic beverage. I believe the flexible meals are better than the cafe car offerings. The timing of the Meteor also works better for me - especially since on one trip, I will be connecting to a Chicago bound train.

I believe the breakfast sandwiches will be heated. If you are displeased, call Amtrak. I do not know if a "regular" telephone agent will be able to assist you with a refund or you will have to talk to Customer Relations.

In addition to the sandwich I think you can also ask the LSA to heat the oatmeals and maybe the hard boiled eggs too (just guessing on the eggs so might be off base there but I thought I had read someone’s trip report where they got the oatmeal heated.)

I just had to google if you could nuke a hard boiled egg. You can but they can explode!!!!

They recommend to put in hot water as jis said.

In addition to the sandwich I think you can also ask the LSA to heat the oatmeals and maybe the hard boiled eggs too (just guessing on the eggs so might be off base there but I thought I had read someone’s trip report where they got the oatmeal heated.)
I didnt know anyone ate cold oatmeal!

I have noticed that many people eat muffins without butter or margarine and some places serve muffins without butter or margarine. Maybe this is a new phenomenon as I don't recall it in years past. Maybe it is a diet thing.

YUCK!

I got my notice about “ flexible dining” on the Crescent next month. They make a big point about getting “room service@ if you want it as if that wasn’t always an option.

I got my notice about “ flexible dining” on the Crescent next month. They make a big point about getting “room service@ if you want it as if that wasn’t always an option.
That is part of the Amtrak Newspeak. Downgrade the service and then point out some minor amenity or service that has always been there as if it was something brand new and very special.

I make overnight oatmeal.

Combine oatmeal, milk, cinnamon and maple syrup, then put it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, take it out and eat!

Isn't that what they do commercially and call it a "health bar"? Except oof course for all the preservatives and corn syrup in lieu of the maple syrup.

That's because it will make it easier (once every customer is trained) to remove the "diner lounge", dump the tables in the cafe and use that space to heat the "fresh meals". Mark my words!

Yes I didn’t think about that with nuking a hard boiled - they do explode! So those are probably cold only. Is it convection oven or microwave in the viewliner diner galley?

The whole point of this new dining service is to reduce staffing in the dining car. Food is cheap these days, the real savings is in not having to pay for a chef and waiters. However, if too many people show up in the diner/lounge to get their meals, the newly downsized staff might be overwhelmed, and there would be pressure to rehire at least one of the waiters. Thus, I suspect management would like to encourage a larger percentage of the passengers to use room service for their meals, as the meals are delivered by the SCA's and their labor costs are not part of the food and beverage account.

What I don't understand is why they don't do it either one way or another. Both Silver Star and Silver Meteor have the new dining option or both trains have cafe cars

What I don't understand is why they don't do it either one way or another. Both Silver Star and Silver Meteor have the new dining option or both trains have cafe cars
Starting in 2020 (likely first quarter), the Silver Star will have the new dining option (flexible dining), so at that time both the Silver Star and Silver Meteor will have the new dining option. Both trains will continue to have cafe cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back