Canada Coast-to-Coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite a book you've written! I'm only about half-way through, but thought I'd drop a couple of questions on you before I forget. The first is a railfan question: You referred to the Maple Leaf and Adirondack being one train out of NYP. Were they both combined and led by one locomotive, then sorted out at Albany or two physical full trains coupled (called a J-train by VIA Rail) where you could not pass from one to the other while moving? Secondly, you mentioned dining at the Westin in Halifax. We're duplicating that part of your trip in about 6 weeks and I'd be interested on your thoughts on their food and service. I haven't been there for many years. Thanks in advance.

Those who did became quite friendly and well acquainted, and the conversation was constant. I got to know three very different couples on this trip and my memories of them form as big a part of this experience as everything else. Good friends, great scenery, wonderful food, fantastic service. I could not have asked for more.

This is nothing less than a fantastically great report and a very enjoyable read!

The section of your last post that I highlighted states the most important things that I enjoy when I travel by whatever means of transportation. They are the essence of why I travel and it's obvious why you do so as well.

Thank you for your efforts in writing and posting this trip report!

I believe the Adirondack and Maple Leaf were combined with a single locomotive. They were split in Albany.

As to the Westin, the hotel restaurant was never open during my stay. I don't know why. I wound up eating from a reduced menu at the lobby bar. I wasn't impressed.

Thanks for the update on both items - I was just curious. While a locomotive change usually takes place on the Adirondack, the P-32's frequently run all the way to Toronto - hence the thought they may have just joined the two trains. I've been worried about the Westin... I stayed there years ago, but only picked it this time to avoid the taxi ride to the downtown Marriott (which is much nicer). Figured to eat in the bar anyway on day of arrival, however was hoping for decent dinner the next night.:( I'd heard it had declined; looks like the reports may be accurate.

Super report. We did the trip the other direction and it was so great it got us riding trains whenever we can.

We didn’t do the Prestige (didn’t know about it), but had access to a “Dome” car and never had a problem finding s seat. We really enjoyed Halifax also.
Thanks for putting so much time and effort into sharing your trip with us.

Great report. I rode 8 at the same time and we had dinner together and a lunch. I and everyone at the table for both meals enjoyed your travel stories. Glad you made it home safe. Hope you are well.

Superb report! Thanks so much for spending the time to post and share it with all of us! Very well written, covered just about everything, and was written so those unfamiliar with train travel, could learn from it, as well as enjoy.

One little correction...AIDA Cruises is not Italian, but German...it is one of several cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation. It is marketed to German-speaking passenger's....

Some final thoughts

I don’t have a bucket list, but if I had one, this trip would have been on it. I’ve talked to some folks who said it was on theirs.

Canada is a beautiful country, and I cannot imagine a better way to see it. I spent a lot of time preparing for this trip and imagining how it would be. It was better than my imagination ever made it. The cities I visited were beautiful, and all the Canadians I met were were friendly. The trains were clean, in good repair, and operated perfectly. Yes, they ran late occasionally, but that seldom bothers me.

Was spending a ridiculous amount on Prestige class worth it? Yes, but the real reason was a bit of a surprise. It wasn’t the big fancy room, complete with TV set. I spent very little waking time in my room, and never turned the TV on. The thing that made it worth the money was the Parks car. Or rather, what the Parks car engendered.

The Parks car was exclusive to Prestige passengers from 9 AM to 4 PM, and even within those hours only a small portion of the Prestige passengers used the dome. Those who did became quite friendly and well acquainted, and the conversation was constant. I got to know three very different couples on this trip and my memories of them form as big a part of this experience as everything else. Good friends, great scenery, wonderful food, fantastic service. I could not have asked for more.

Would I do it again? Yes!

Where next?

This is nothing less than a fantastically great report and a very enjoyable read!

The section of your last post that I highlighted states the most important things that I enjoy when I travel by whatever means of transportation. They are the essence of why I travel and it's obvious why you do so as well.

Thank you for your efforts in writing and posting this trip report!

Agree with every word Dakota wrote, Bravo!

My daughter and I have decided to make the the cross Canada trip but starting in Vancouver and going East. We are still sorting out when, since she needs to get two weeks off which is difficult for an RN at a hospital. Thanks for your report, my daughter said it made her decision.

Back