Vermonter questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am having that sense of wanderlust. A few questions about this train. First, where is the business class car usually located? Second, is this a train that has a rail fan window or does it operate with an engine at each end? Third, how hard is it to get from Essex Jct to Burlington?

Thank you.

Your friend Kevin and I took the Vermonter last year from Essex Junction to NYP (for me) and probably further south (for Kevin). We took an Uber from Burlington to Essex Junction. We were in BC and I believe it was at the rear of the train. I also believe that there was a rail fan window and it did not have an engine at each end. Kevin will be able to answer all your questions.

The Vermonter always has the business class at the rear of the train. It's a split Cafe/BC car with 2-1 seating and the BC section is always in the rear. The rear window of the car is always available to look out of, though it may be rather dirty. The days of a locomotive at each end were ended when the Vermonter returned to its earlier routing through Northampton and Greenfield vs heading east from Springfield to Palmer and reversing direction there to continue its northward journey about 3-4 years ago.

There should be taxi and decent Uber/Lyft availability at Essex Junction when the train arrives. In addition, Green Mountain Transit operates the Blue Line bus between Essex Junction's Amtrak station and downtown Burlington, continuing on to Shelburne (the route passes by a number of hotels along the route to Shelburne). The current schedule is here, and fares are $1.50.

Quick Question about the taking the Vermont northbound from Nyp.
it’s arriving at night, am I missing any scenery? I should rather take the southbound? or it doesn’t really matter.

Quick Question about the taking the Vermont northbound from Nyp.
it’s arriving at night, am I missing any scenery? I should rather take the southbound? or it doesn’t really matter.
Northbound (Train 56) during the winter months will be running in the dark from Brattleboro, Vt. to St. Albans, Vt. Southbound (Train 55) will be a daylight run between St. Albans, Vt. (0915 departure) and Pennsylvania Station (NYP). If you make the trip during the summer months, daylight either direction.

Back