New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least their is an effort to improve.

If coach passengers could preorder, why not sleeper pax. This could help with stocking.

One thinks the preorder will be included Sleeper passengers.

Effort falls short with the special diet needs.

The preorder system will be interesting to incorporated with the DOS based computers.

The letter to RPA indicates that sleeper passengers will have the option to pre select before departure - coach passengers it appears will be REQUIRED to purchase the meals in advance.

It was also noted that Anderson has made it a priority for Amtrak to complete the dining car convection oven upgrades by the end of the year, at which point Amtrak has said they will refine the dining options further. My guess is this delay is why we're seeing some of the changes get pushed to 2020.

Here is a blurb from a NARP hotline.
The steps encompass several broad areas, but among the most significant improvements:

• Amtrak is getting rid of the box, the bag and the “takeout Chinese” presentation in favor of a meal-specific tray

• Amtrak is going to restore the ability of Coach passengers to buy food from the diner, implementing an order-ahead system so that passengers have the option to make selections at booking

• Amtrak is introducing FOUR additional hot options for a total of five available

• Amtrak is introducing two meat-and-egg breakfast sandwiches: a sausage-egg-cheese English Muffin and a ham-egg-cheese on a ciabatta roll

• Amtrak is using a combination of processes and technology to ensure that there is enough food on board for service, and enough variety so that passengers’ first choice is more likely to be available
In addition, Wilander has asked for Rail Passengers’ help in finding a solution to the problems posed by special meals (Kosher, vegan, vegetarian, allergies, sensitivities, etc.).

As for the question that’s top-of-mind for nearly all of us advocates -- what happens to food service on the Western trains -- Wilander was unequivocal, both in his letter and this afternoon in a visit with Wilander at Union Station to sample the new food.

Read in several places that the Auto Train sleepers were going to the new "flexible dining" Oct 1, although this may not have been exactly correct. Press release merely says "new menu". Any new info out there that I may have missed? I'm new here so my apologies if I may have missed this question being answered already.

Few things Amtrak needs to iron out for coach passenger preorders imo

For example coach passenger preorders breakfast as timetabled to join service A at 7am. Same passenger however due to lateness of train only boards at 10:30am. Would they get a refund or would amtrak keep dining area open pass usual hours?

Passenger then misses connection in Chicago due to late running despite having dinner and following day breakfast preordered on next train and then gets shunted onto LSL. Dinner tray is then needed refunding and breakfast tray removed from original service and added to LSL.

Well here it is folks, this now on Amtrak's website under dining. They are now using two new names to describe dining car services. Contemporary dining is now called flexible dining and the traditional dining car service on the western trains they are calling "traditional dining". They have refreshed the entrees for the flexible dining (all options are now hot) and there is now a lighter kid's choice for a kids meal:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-dining/flexible-dining.html

No mention of the October 1 changeover date, at least not that I can see.....on the previous page the Meteor is already listed as having Flexible Dining. If my September 30 trip is already switched over I won't be happy, we could have left later by a day or two since our cruise isn't until 10/4 but I didn't want to miss out on traditional dining as they now call it, and figured I'd spend the extra days in FTL at the beach and updating my summer wardrobe a little. But fewer days away from my dogs might have been nice.

The pasta and meatballs was classified as a kids meal on Amtrak’s website. It would be nice if they had one or two sandwich options for the lunch and dinner options. A cheeseburger would be great. I wouldn’t mind mac in cheese either.

I agree with your comment. The child's meal can be ordered by an adult. I have done that when nothing else on the menu appealed. On this new menu, personally, I think the pasta and meatballs is the most desirable entree shown.

I agree with your comment. The child's meal can be ordered by an adult. I have done that when nothing else on the menu appealed. On this new menu, personally, I think the pasta and meatballs is the most desirable entree shown.
Not every crew will permit an adult to order a child's meal. I am guessing that the number of child's meals loaded on the train will closely reflect the number of children booked in sleepers.

Not every crew will permit an adult to order a child's meal. I am guessing that the number of child's meals loaded on the train will closely reflect the number of children booked in sleepers.

That's good to know that I might not be able to order a child's meal.

&
In my experience adult passengers in coach are (almost) never allowed to order children's meals for themselves. Adult sleeper passengers are sometimes allowed, sometimes not allowed, and sometimes only allowed to order children's meals (such as when adult meals run out).

One of the Childrens Menu items I used to eat for Lunch on the Eagles was the Hot Dog with a Pretzel Bun and Nathan's Weiner. Very tasty!:)

The Chicken Nuggets, Mac and Cheese and Pizza ( changed throughout the years) were not worth writing home about.

I will say having a toddler the Kraft Mac and cheese comes out consistent and better than we could make it at home. She doesn’t eat hot dogs yet so after two meals in a row she ends up eating off our plates. Surprisedly even a 18 month old can only have so much Mac and cheese:) she’s already logged 10 nights onboard.

Someone mentioned earlier some LSA’s won’t sell kids meals to adults due to inventory. We saw that first hand over the holidays. Having dinner a college student seated with us wanted to order the hot dog meal. It was one of the times our daughter was just eating off our plate so I was able to convince the LSA to sell her “our daughters” hot dog meal.

I just received an email from Amtrak informing me about dining changes on an upcoming post October 1 trip
Below is the text of the email (without my name, reservation number and date of travel)
We have exciting news to share about your upcoming trip Train 97 the Silver Meteor from New York City Penn Station on 10/**/2019.

Staring October 1, we will be debuting a new dining experience aboard your train—made exclusively available for Sleeping Car customers. Here is what you can expect when you are onboard:

• A new dining menu with hot, ready-to-serve choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • A wide selection of wine, beer and spirits (the first one is on us), plus unlimited soft drinks throughout your journey
  • Complimentary room service provided by your Sleeping Car attendant
  • Exclusive onboard lounge space for Sleeping Car customers to dine and socialize 24x7
  • Flexible dining times without the need for reservations
Sample menus can be found at Amtrak.com/flexdining. Information on special dietary requirements, including kosher meal requests, can be found at Amtrak.com/dining. To review your reservation, visit Amtrak.com.

We look forward to seeing you on board.

The most up to date arrival and departure times are available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

I just received an email from Amtrak informing me about dining changes on an upcoming post October 1 trip
Below is the text of the email (without my name, reservation number and date of travel)

After I received that email, I received 2 more. (I have currently have reservations for 3 October trips on the Silver Meteor). I have not received an email for my Meteor trip in November.

I too just received that notification for our Oct 1 trip. Nice of Amtrak to wait until the 14 day cancellation period is just about here. I'm so thrilled with the opportunity to miss out on the "traditional" menus and get those fabulous new ones with the great new dining experience eating mostly packaged sugars for breakfast and being able to pick and choose the "wonderful" new alternatives.
I think I'm going to cry.
When they did in the Star, I did nothing. When they did in the CL and LSL, I did nothing. Now they are doing it to me and there is nobody left to do anything for me.

I too just received that notification for our Oct 1 trip. Nice of Amtrak to wait until the 14 day cancellation period is just about here. I'm so thrilled with the opportunity to miss out on the "traditional" menus and get those fabulous new ones with the great new dining experience eating mostly packaged sugars for breakfast and being able to pick and choose the "wonderful" new alternatives.
I think I'm going to cry.
When they did in the Star, I did nothing. When they did in the CL and LSL, I did nothing. Now they are doing it to me and there is nobody left to do anything for me.

Oh but I think we are supposed to be so grateful because the Silver Starve is now going to have these exciting options which is an improvement from nothing, as is the current offering.

Back