New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the Diner in any form is definitely getting cut for the Coach passengers in the Contemporary stuff on the Eastern trains.

True, but my point still remains: the equipment itself is not going anywhere.

Well, it is now less than a month until October 1 (the day of my travel on the Crescent) and still no notification from Amtrak that food service will be changing. So much for 30 days notice - or are they still thinking about how best to stick it to their customers?

Well here it is folks, this now on Amtrak's website under dining. They are now using two new names to describe dining car services. Contemporary dining is now called flexible dining and the traditional dining car service on the western trains they are calling "traditional dining". They have refreshed the entrees for the flexible dining (all options are now hot) and there is now a lighter kid's choice for a kids meal:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-dining/flexible-dining.html

While it is disappointing to see this come to the Crescent and Meteor...it appears from the picture on that page that they are at least ditching the boxes. The presentation shown in that photo seems far superior to what they've been doing and brings it more in line with the meals on some of the airlines and acela first class..hopefully this is accurate.

Well there goes dinner on any train out of NYC. Shame to see this happen to all the coach passengers, I wonder if they will see much of a dropoff in sales on coach tickets and what kind of a hit on revenue they are seeing from no dining car.
I agree - I see the exclusion of coach passengers as the biggest problem with this offering. I think now that they are including the Meteor and Crescent they may see a hit there unless they make some adjustments to allow more lower fares for coach passengers. I don't understand why they couldn't find a way to include coach somehow - they need to add that option and should also add online ordering of meals to help with stocking - they could even REQUIRE coach passengers to order a meal before departure if they want one or only allow them to pick up their meal in the diner, pay for it, and bring it to their seat or the cafe car and restrict the diner seating to sleeper passengers.

Hopefully if they see a drop off they will consider these...again at least they seem to be dropping the boxes and associated waste which to me is a big improvement.

Hopefully if they see a drop off they will consider these...again at least they seem to be dropping the boxes and associated waste which to me is a big improvement.
I don't yet understand how this will be served but I guess we will get some first hand reports soon enough. Is the attendant going to be supplied with large bags of salad which he or she will plate into these trays. Will the attendant get a large container(s) of each entrée which they will heat and plate onto these trays.

I suspect instead that the customer will receive a package of salad and a heated entrée in a box and an empty tray and the customer will be responsible for plating the food onto the tray. So I wonder if the food boxes are really going away or if they will be with us yet.

My suspicion is that everything will come pre-plated and pre-bowled. For example, the salad will come in the bowl wrapped or covered with plastic cover as it does now. The main meal will come plated to be heated and served just like they do on airplanes. The LSA will just heat and plop them into the tray slots and serve. Just because it is a train does not make serving food in airline style any different. On planes they just do the unpacking of each preplated item, heat arrange them uniformly on a tray and serve. The items that need heating are heated before placement on the tray.

If the picture is any indication, this is a real improvement from the meal in a box approach. It appears they have figured out how to plate a meal. What a concept, maybe a Delta crony whispered in Anderson's ear. Presentation does mean a lot even if the food is mediocre, especially if served with a glass of wine. But, I don't see a lighter sandwich or salad offering.

I'm ok with these meals not being offered to coach passengers. Again, not much different than first class vs. coach on a plane. Consider the exorbitant sleeper prices as compared to coach. It's nice to have an attractive (with the big windows) and relatively quiet car to enjoy your instant meal. With the carry out option it would seem that tables might go unused. If that is the case, I'd like to see a couple removed and replaced with comfortable seating so that it is truly a lounge car. We certainly enjoyed that option a few years ago in the lounge section of the CCC on the CONO. Best Bloody Mary my wife and I've had in a long time.

My suspicion is that everything will come pre-plated and pre-bowled. For example, the salad will come in the bowl wrapped or covered with plastic cover as it does now. The main meal will come plated to be heated and served just like they do on airplanes. The LSA will just heat and plop them into the tray slots and serve. Just because it is a train does not make serving food in airline style any different. On planes they just do the unpacking of each preplated item, heat arrange them uniformly on a tray and serve. The items that need heating are heated before placement on the tray.

Now that I look closer at the photo, I think you are correct.

It looks like they changed the breakfast sandwich, which kind of sucks because I actually liked the breakfast sandwiches that were offered.
I wonder if it will be a Jimmy Dean muffin sandwich like the ones they have in the café car - those are sausage egg and cheese on a muffin - I hate to admit it but I actually kind of like those. I like sausage better than ham on a breakfast sandwich but I liked the idea of the brioche roll they were using before..now a muffin.

Pretty good breakdown in this week's RPA Hotline: https://www.railpassengers.org/happening-now/news/hotline/hotline-1134/
  • Amtrak is getting rid of the box, the bag and the “takeout Chinese” presentation in favor of a meal-specific tray

• Amtrak is going to restore the ability of Coach passengers to buy food from the diner, implementing an order-ahead system so that passengers have the option to make selections at booking

• Amtrak is introducing FOUR additional hot options for a total of five available

• Amtrak is introducing two meat-and-egg breakfast sandwiches: a sausage-egg-cheese English Muffin and a ham-egg-cheese on a ciabatta roll

• Amtrak is using a combination of processes and technology to ensure that there is enough food on board for service, and enough variety so that passengers’ first choice is more likely to be available

Based off that 4th bullet point, lordsigma and I may both be happy.

The biggest news to me is that Amtrak is going to make the meals available to coach passengers with an online ordering system. I'll be curious to see what the pricing and implementation is.

It’s similar to a system we use a Delta for international flights. Pax have the opportunity to select their meal before the flight. It’s a great way to cut down on waste and streamline logistics for catering. I imagine it might save Amtrak some money too.

But there goes the cheap sleeper rooms if they include meals with them again.
That is probable, but what we're seeing is Amtrak is deciding to standardize the product across the eastern trains. Hopefully this means passengers will start to know what to expect and similar experiences across the system. It is also important to note that Amtrak seems to be standardizing the "traditional" experience in the western system. I'll be curious to see what the new menu that they promise in 2020 will be like. The end goal appears to be to have the same amenities across the board for sleeper passengers and the same dining experience depending on which half of the system you are on. Now if Amtrak could only figure out business class, lol.

The pasta and meatballs was classified as a kids meal on Amtrak’s website. It would be nice if they had one or two sandwich options for the lunch and dinner options. A cheeseburger would be great. I wouldn’t mind mac in cheese either.

At least their is an effort to improve.

If coach passengers could preorder, why not sleeper pax. This could help with stocking.

Back