Credit card signup snafu... rewards account creation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hastily signed up for the 40k points offer last week, and through a number of hiccups I now find myself with a credit card that has a blank "member number" on it, and no amtrak rewards account created. (I was not a rewards member before, so I figured i'd let the new card process create me one)

Has anyone else run across this issue? Amtrak rewards cust service wasn't much help and said i should call BoA. Figured I would give them a couple of days to see if maybe the card just arrived a bit too early but so far no luck.

This isn't giving me great hope to get my rewards tickets anytime soon... I expedited the card because I had a $2500 charge to make, so I hit my spend goal on day 1. But as of right now, no account to deposit the points into.

Ideas?

Do you now have an AGR number? If so, have you tried to provide it to BoA? If so, what did the representative say?
I am assuming that having an AGR number prior to applying for the card was required in order to have a card containing a "member number."

I don’t have a member number now - the signup process was clear that they would “sign me up” automatically and I don’t want to break that process if it is still going.

Will reach out to BoA today, was hoping someone might have insight about the “normal” timelines when applying for the card.

I don’t have a member number now - the signup process was clear that they would “sign me up” automatically and I don’t want to break that process if it is still going.

Will reach out to BoA today, was hoping someone might have insight about the “normal” timelines when applying for the card.
Good luck. I hope someone here has some insight.

I think I'd call AGR first to find out if you DO have an AGR number and what IS the number. If need be, logon to AGR and create an account and it will create a number. Then call BofA to ensure the correct number is part of your account information. If not, they should be able to input the info on your account.

I wouldn't worry too much about the missing AGR account number on the card. It's there for passenger 'comfort', I suspect. However...it MAY be encoded on the mag stripe and chip so that when used on Amtrak to buy a ticket or pay for food & beverage, the AGR number is passed along to BofA when posting the transaction.

Just called boa and they basically said “we don’t know anything at all about the rewards program, we don’t even know how many points you have.. the only thing we use your member number for is putting it on the card”

Call AGR back and try to sign up for a number (if they have not already assigned one to you). If the agent to whom you are speaking is not helpful, try to speak to a supervisor. Once you have a number, I would phone BoA back and link your number to the credit card. I have no idea if that will work, but maybe someone at AGR will be knowledgeable.

Good news. Today, Amtrak rewards did show an account number created for me. (Which definitely did not exist 2 days ago) It was missing my email address and phone numbers, but my 3 coupons were assigned so there was some record of my card signup happening.

The first rep acted like it was insane that I got a credit card in the mail without the member number - today’s rep acted like it was at least an occasional occurrence.

Now, mission 2... how to get that signup reward deposited into my account in any sort of timely fashion...

Last edited:
Good news. Today, Amtrak rewards did show an account number created for me. (Which definitely did not exist 2 days ago) It was missing my email address and phone numbers, but my 3 coupons were assigned so there was some record of my card signup happening.

Now, mission 2... how to get that signup reward deposited into my account in any sort of timely fashion...
The deposit occurs when the send the bill (not when you pay it which is later).

Back