Should I Be Prepared for Train to Be Cold?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersummer

Service Attendant
Someone advised me to take a blanket with me on my train trip. They pointed out that, on occasion, it's pretty cold in sleeping cars and that you only get one very thin blanket. Do you recommend this OR does Amtrak furnish an extra blanket - if I ask? I really, really don't want to carry a blanket. Thanks!

Someone advised me to take a blanket with me on my train trip. They pointed out that, on occasion, it's pretty cold in sleeping cars and that you only get one very thin blanket. Do you recommend this OR does Amtrak furnish an extra blanket - if I ask? I really, really don't want to carry a blanket. Thanks!
The blanket they provide you with should be sufficient, unless there is some problem with the air conditioning. When I travel overnight in coach (summer time) I bring flannel sheet with me and use that if I get chilly at night and it works great. I have found, at least in the summer time that the bedding provided in the sleepers is more than adequate.

It may be cold or hot in coach and sleeper, depending on how good the air conditioner is or the thermostat.

As an insurance that I would normally do is to bring the sweat pant along because I'm a cold sleeper. If the sleeper room is too cold, try to stuff the vent to lessen the flow. In coach class, you're on your own if you didn't bring the sweater along. The hottest place in the trainset is sightseer lounge because of large space of windows.

If you have the luggage space, I would advise bringing a small blanket or throw. With a small throw, you can usually roll it up tightly and it shouldn't eat up too much space. I always found the room temprature VERY difficult to control. Usually either too hot or too cold no matter what the season. Definitely all or nothing with the heat or A/C. Better safe than chilly! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the thermostat fails to respond, there is a lever on the air duct that will restrict air flow but won't turn it all the way off. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I am packing right this moment for a trip on the CZ. Take a dark colored blanket (it doesn't show dirt as much) and then stuff it into a pillow, take that pillow and bungee strap it to your carryon. So if you don't like the pillows in the sleepers, you have your own from home. We are taking coach on the way back so a pillow and blanket is something we need to have. I make for sure the blanket isn't huge either.

Al

I am packing right this moment for a trip on the CZ. Take a dark colored blanket (it doesn't show dirt as much) and then stuff it into a pillow, take that pillow and bungee strap it to your carryon. So if you don't like the pillows in the sleepers, you have your own from home. We are taking coach on the way back so a pillow and blanket is something we need to have. I make for sure the blanket isn't huge either.
Al
prior to my very first trip on a LD I was also concerned about a too strong AC. But I was pleasantly surprised about the nice temperatures. I dont like it too cold. 75F would be the ideal temperature for me in summer.

My wife and I were very comfortable with the bedding supplied by Amtrak. I was in the top bunk and I did close the vent one night since it was blowing right on me. We thought the room temperature was very comfortable.

Thanks for all this great advice. I think I'll hope for the best temperatures and not worry with a blanket. I can always just sleep with extra clothes on, if needed. I generally travel with an older polartec type jacket and it comes in handy on planes - and now maybe trains!

In the summer months I've always been comfortable, whether travelling in coach or sleeper. In wintertime, especially in the midwest, I can usually count on being on the chilly side. And on occasion downright cold as the cars do tend to freeze over when the weather is bad.

The blanket they provide you with should be sufficient, unless there is some problem with the air conditioning. When I travel overnight in coach (summer time) I bring flannel sheet with me and use that if I get chilly at night and it works great. I have found, at least in the summer time that the bedding provided in the sleepers is more than adequate.
I wish I'd brought a fan. It was miserable in the sleeper car I just had. Hotter than heck, no air in room, very little in hallway. You had to leave the door and curtain open for any air at all to reach your room , and then it was barely there. Luckily for me, our sleeping car guy (who had a nice size fan in his room) brought me a small one for the night. The top bunk was intolerable without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back