"Check your bags" (LAX Metropolitan Lounge)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember one of the spout choices in the new ML in Chicago was plain water..
correct. and sparkling water.. which is nice. but those spouts are not meant to refill personal water bottles with... should not be allowed for sanitary reasons. I think we've discussed this before on this board... ha. Now if they want to pour the water into cups, and then pour the water from the cups to the bottles that's fine.

Since some cities are banning plastic water bottles, like what Amtrak has in the sleepers or in the Dining Car or Cafe, a place to refill ones personal water bottle may become necessary. They have them in some places, one just puts the open bottle, usually 24 oz, on the holder, push the button for the size and the water flows until filled, never touching the bottle except for the base on the drain grill.

Adding another data point to this thread: Earlier this month, when we asked to leave two bags in the Metropolitan Lounge during the day before our departure on the SL, the attendant did NOT ask us to check our bags for the entire trip (LA to TUS, which does have checked baggage service), but did attach to each bag a tag with our train number, reservation number, and car/roomette numbers. She gave us claim checks for these, but we didn't need to show them to anyone to re-claim our bags when we returned to LAUS.

Maybe someone "turned her in". My experience in the LA lounge was at the end of last month. The morning attendant, by the way, made no such demands.

So I’ll give my impressions during my trip. CHI on Sept 9th had a couple of ladies working who thought all Amtrak passengers were dumb and wouldn’t listen. Heaven forbid if you asked them a question or had knowledge of how Amtrak usually works. Also, we arrived to the lounge around noon for our 2pm (CZ) departure and breakfast stuff (instant oatmeal) was the main course not he snack isle. It wasn’t until around 1 that vegetables and dip were put out The one thing they had on their side was the western LD trains were all quite full and the lounge was PACKED, so I can see where their **** style may have been what they thought was required. LAX for the SWC departure on the 26th, complete opposite. They were very friendly and helpful, which included getting a large suitcase checked to FTW the best way possible, vs having it trying to follow our route to CHI, SPI, and then to FTW. Then todays CHI Met Lounge was staffed by very friendly people and helped us as much as needed without having to do a kindergarten march to business class on train 305. The draw back to todays experience is the main snacks (vegetable and dips) had already been picked up by our 4pm arrival, so bar snacks and bowls of whole fruit were all that was available.

Back